• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Saturday Infinity War Update:

Thursday Infinity War Update:

http://deadline.com/2018/04/avengers-infinity-war-weekend-box-office-opening-records-1202378032/

And so summer begins early in late April. We have very early industry estimates showing Disney/Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War at $45M for Thursday night, and west coast showtimes have yet to kick in. Should that projection maintain into the night, it would easily be the best Marvel preview ever, stepping over Avengers: Age of Ultron ($27.6M) and the second best ever tying with Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($45M) and filing behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens first night ($57M).

Weekend OP

This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

UMWp144.png

nBTNFW0.png

iH2qkLx.png

2Kq7EXP.png

l6BYcUx.png

'A Quiet Place' Still Noisy With $21M+, But 'Rampage' Pounds On 'Pretty'

Paramount's A Quiet Place is still the prime destination for moviegoers this weekend in its third go-round with a $9.4M Saturday ( +47% over Friday) and a 3-day of $21.7M and a running cume of $132M by EOD. The takeaway here, much like as we saw with Get Out, is that when an original, riveting feature is positioned right in the marketplace, it can truly pan out and win. Audiences are smarter; they know hacky fare when they see it, and they'll get out of the house to watch a movie on the big screen when it's truly unique, and A Quiet Place is that twist in the thriller genre space.

Meanwhile, family matinees are spiking New Line's Rampage to second place with $20.7M, a -42% ease. The Dwayne Johnson movie drew $9.25M on Saturday, +93% over Friday and will see a 10-day total of $66.3M by end of today. As we mentioned last weekend, the star has an organic means of having his all-audience pics sleep to higher numbers.

Meanwhile STXfilms' I Feel Pretty has slowed down with a -6% Saturday for a $15.75M opening, making it the lesser debut out of Amy Schumer's recent trio: Trainwreck ($30M) and Snatched ($19.5M). Schumer didn't write this movie, which was the case with Trainwreck, but nonetheless it's obviously not wowing a stampede of females to come out.

Now, even though Fox Searchlight's Super Troopers 2 is cruising in lower than its early Saturday forecast with $14.8M in 4th, it's still commendable because no one was expecting this cult comedy sequel to over-index. As expected, because of 4/20 stoner crowds, Super Troopers 2 was front-loaded drawing $4.3M on Saturday, -44%. This is more so a win over I Feel Pretty because of its financial structure: Super Troopers 2 was made for an estimated $5M before P&A, while the Schumer comedy cost $32M, with STX taking stateside rights for $15M.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
AQP continues to impress. Really nice drop for Black Panther. As long as IW doesn't crater it TLJ worldwide gross is next.

Oct 28, 2017
I'll never for the life of me understand why people seem to think actors are the ones bringing in the customers to see them. People praised The Rock; yet Rampage is bombing.

For me; at least, it's about the story, never the actor. In fact, the lesser known the better.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
So is RPO a success? I know it is profitable but it doesn't strike me as a tentpole hit.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. A Quiet Place already surpassed Ready Player Ones domestic box office. Overall this was a very close top 4.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I think he studio obviously wanted a higher demomestic gross for Rampage but the movie is heading for a WW total of 300m against a 120m budget. Not reading like a bomb to me.

Veronica Mars made $6M total
Good news for the Broken Lizard crew, then!

I'm actually curious to see how this plays out in the long run, especially on home video. The first one was such a big hit on DVD that I don't know how it could possibly recapture that kind of groundswell in this day and age, but given how successful the Indiegogo campaign was, I wouldn't be so quick to count out the Broken Lizard fans out there.

Last edited:

suaveric

Nov 9, 2017
Are any of you guys participating in the slashfilm summer movie wager this year? I was thinking about making a thread on it. The short version is you have to guess the top ten movie's box office for the entire summer, the closer the better.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
What we really need is a Club Dread sequel.

...well, I do anyway.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy just how profitable a terrible movie like Truth or Dare is. Already at 30m with a 3.5m budget.

Anyway, great hold for AQP, Jim is getting paid!

And BP is coming for that 700m, should also pass TLJ worldwide soon.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Ready for infinity war. Bought IMAX tickets for it in Berlin (also for Deadpool 2 on 16th may). Good months ahead.

Mimosa97

Oct 25, 2017
Why aren't more people talking about Isle of dogs? Feels like no one cares when it's obviously one of the best movies of the year. It's making me sad :(

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't gotten a chance to see Truth or Dare yet, but want to.

Also even though I did not like A Quiet Place at all, glad that a horror movie is continuing to lead the box office! Makes me happy :)

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Why aren't more people talking about Isle of dogs? Feels like no one cares when it's obviously one of the best movies of the year. It's making me sad :(
I like Wes Anderson but this just seems "too much" if that makes any sense. And The Fantastic Mr. Fox didn't do anything for me, his most dissapointing feature for me so far.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Are any of you guys participating in the slashfilm summer movie wager this year? I was thinking about making a thread on it. The short version is you have to guess the top ten movie's box office for the entire summer, the closer the better.

Rvaan made a thread already, and few people cared.

I participated. I am better at projecting than predicting though, So I am not expecting to do amazingly.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I can see people squeezing in a last viewing of BP before IW, so i expect a weekday bump

The world began to collectively dislike stop-motion films after Coraline, with the first victim being, amusingly enough, Fantastic Mr. Fox. I think it also doesn't help the film that it's not for kids at all, so you don't see anyone outside of Wes Anderson fans talking about it.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Truth or Dare made $30 Million.... What's next? Hide and Seek?

Well Tag!, A True Story is coming out...

Start up the Kids Game Universe!

Tag will get the Freeze and Kick the Bucket sequels I presume
Hide and Seek will go Red Light, Green Light, 1, 2, 3 and Scary Mary

Then a true one time only event for the ages, the Kids Cinematic Universe Presents, The Hot Potato Movie!

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm super happy for the Broken Lizard crew. I was going to take a long lunch break and see ST2 in the theater by my work at 1PM Friday, but it was almost completely sold out! Hopefully this helps them make more movies.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
So is RPO a success? I know it is profitable but it doesn't strike me as a tentpole hit.
It was being shit on from great heights by the very community it was catering to. They were doing it without having even seen the movie. Spielberg and the studio were confident in their movie and showed it off at SXSW and allowed critics to put up their reviews weeks in advance. That started to finally turn things around. Overall, I think the studio is breathing a sigh of relief. It did well enough domestically and it has done really great overseas.

It should be noted that A Quiet Place wasn't predicted to be the breakout hit it became. Early tracking had it opening in the mid 20s. RPO was supposed to have 2 weeks all to itself. It faced tougher competition than expected and didn't drop like a rock. A sign of good word of mouth.

I think this would have been a better to release in December. There isn't a Star Wars this time around and the winter break holidays would have added considerably to its gross from weekday showings. They only had half the country on Spring Break when it was released in March.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see another $20 million in the tank. I need some hopium (or statistics about how movies like this do once they dip into the $500k daily phase).

What each film earned in the domestic market from day 64 until end of run:

The Force Awakens: 17.9 million
Day 64: 918,724,209
Total: 936,662,225

Jurassic World: 15.2 million
Day 64: 637,067,430
Total: 652,270,625

Avengers: 13.7 million
Day 64: 609,640,578
Total: 623,357,910

The Last Jedi: 2.6 million :p
Day 64: 617,555,240
Total: 620,181,382

Last week:
Keep in mind that the only reason TFA beat BP last week and weekend is because TFA has a holiday Monday which buffed the Sunday/Monday for it.

BP still beat it Friday/Sat and every weekday following that leads up to thos Friday, where BP bear it again with the potential exception of a softer Sunday, following trends.

TFA Day 64 Friday: $917,914
BP Day 64 Friday: $1,227,000

Show your work.

Show how it gets another 23m

22.3m and change is what it needs.

TFA earned another 17.9m until the end of its run, and you're questioning BP managing to earn another 4.4 million over TFA when it is estimated to beat TFA by 300k this Friday, and likely by (healthily) over a million for the weekend as a whole? I'm more interested in why you think that BP doesn't have a path to 700m, frankly :p

BP almost always comes in above estimates (case and point last week BOM estimated it to earn 5.3m and it earned 5.7m) and it has been under estimated for weeks.

Starting at week 4 for each film, the only times BP lost a week was when TFA has a holiday in its favour, that being week 5 and week 9.

Here is what each film has grossed between weeks 4 and 9

Black Panther 155,562,508
The Force Awakens 147,425,252
Difference 8,137,260

However as a percentage of overall gross, BPs lead has been increasing substantially. Beating TFA by 2 million is less significant when you're each pulling in 50m the week as opposed to beating it by 4 million when you are both in the 20m range. You can check each film out head to head with the following link:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=weekly&id=openingweekendshowdown.htm

For more work and perspective, in early February I was saying that 1.3 billion was in play (and said it would hit it) for Black Panther and I was the first poster to argue for and defend the number with maths. I also made the case for why BP would likely fall within 675-700m domestic.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wkd-box-office-2•23-25•18-panther-scores-108m-second-weekend-2-of-all-time-wakanda-forever.25659/page-34#post-5076868

Yes. Like it's ahead of all of the rest of MCU domestic.
njor-ypKTG76L_b552LjvH5lhY_U4dB7XPImlAa7BtutLJfKysJzwlXR9pvhS0qujUBNoek=s0-d-e1-ft

This is why I'm bullish on Black panther hitting 1.3 Billion.

The Top Domestic Earner for the MCU is the Avengers at 623 Million.
By the 12th day it had earned 389 Million, or 62.45% of its total domestic take

When you compare the OW of both movies, Avengers opened up stronger by 5 million, yet by its 12 day, Black panther has out grossed Avengers by over 32 million dollars. (starting from a 5 million deficit). If that kind of percentage performance held for BP, it would earn over 50 million more than Avengers 1 Domestically.

I think 675-700 million domestic is doable.

Remember how I said that all BP needs to do to hit 1.3 billion it to have the international take be comparable to Thor 3 internationally?

Well here are both films after their second week in theaters.

Thor Ragnarok:

Black Panther:

But crucially China has yet to open for Black Panther, where as by this point China had already contributed 53 million to the international take of Thor 3. China was of course far and away the biggest market for Thor 3.

How did Thor 3 do in China, so we know the kind of contribution we're hoping for here?

Thor 3 total take in China:
$112,226,154
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=marvel2017.htm

Well then, let's take a look at pre-release metrics for Black Panther in China:

How much did Homecoming end up doing in China?
$116,280,889
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=spiderman2017.htm

Line in the sand, proclamation made: I'm willing to make the claim that Black Panther will hit 1.3 billion.

And I faced pushback for this post, and was ultimately right.

I said that beating TLJ domestically was incredibly likely, and bet that it would do it overall as well.

Here's how I was tracking BP using OW multipliers, against the performance of GOTG to show that it was likely to end up as one of the levies MCU films. Keep in mind I was doing this over time to prove the likely hood, it wasn't just one and done. Though I only updated this a few times on the site.

So while we're on the topic of MCU films here is the multiplier of every movie so far

YjkOXmQPXEG6CZVYI6t9Xl07oXHMqPE5_jt2DLDBWt_Yk5Xob8XZWq2056dSWPOeWMOz99Fw7XA=s0-d-e1-ft

If BP had tied for having the WORST legs in MCU history it would earn $460,569,008.28
But the film is only on its 12th day or release and has already earned $421,915,776
Which is 91.61% of that total
It took Civil War until its 24th day (twice as long) of release to earn 91.61% of its total domestic gross.
So obviously, a 2.28 OW multiplier is far too low
No one is expecting BP to only earn another 40 Million dollars.

What if BP landed right in the middle of MCU OW Multiplers? It would earn $548,143,662
Average OW multiplier 2.713529411764706

If BP had tied for having the BEST legs in MCU history (Guardians of the Galaxy) it would earn $713,073,947.03
Again, on it's 12th day or release Black Panther has already earned $421,915,776
Which is 59.17% of that total
It took Guardians of the Galaxy until its 14th day of release to earn 59.17% of its total domestic gross.
About right so far?

The Last Jedi will earn 620 million domestically by the end of its run. What does Black Panther need to do to match The Last Jedi Domestically? (Is there a path to 1.3 billion?)
Black panther will need to have a OW multiplier close to 3.074 to match The Last Jedi, which would place it in the top 4 MCU films ever by OW multiplier.

I honestly think that at the very least Black Panther will get an OW multiplier in the mid-high 2.X but is likely to hit mid 3.X, so it will be interesting to see the two films trade blows and if Black Panther can weather the storm that in The Last Jedi's December performance and make up ground from there and weekends.

No it isn't. This movie isn't doing well enough internationally for 1.3 to be in the realm of possibility unless it explodes in China.

Well, China was the top international market for Civil War, contributing 180 million to the films total.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=marvel2016.htm&sort=todateGross&order=DESC&p=.htm

Off the back of that exposure and success, more than likely, this happened:

Chadwick Boseman recently picked up the Most Popular U.S. Actor In China award at the 13th Annual Chinese American Film Festival. During his acceptance speech he pointed out that African American actors are repeatedly told their films and popularity "don't travel overseas," and noted that this accolade helps to debunk such claims.
https://www.metro.us/entertainment/movies/chadwick-boseman-african-american-actors-overseas

It may against all odds perform decently in China (against TLJ at least :P). So far, unless I've missed something, with markets left to open, BP is performing slightly above(6%) Thor 3, which ended up earning $538,826,846 internationally.

Meaning that if it did perform like Thor 3 + 6%, you'd only (lol) need Black Panther to carry a little under 700 million domestic to get there.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wkd-box-office-2•23-25•18-panther-scores-108m-second-weekend-2-of-all-time-wakanda-forever.25659/page-29#post-5050444

In Response to hodayathink saying the following:

(and berzeli disagreeing about indicators showing BP looking likely to have a good showing in China)

No it isn't. This movie isn't doing well enough internationally for 1.3 to be in the realm of possibility unless it explodes in China.

I went and launch aligned a bunch of international (mainly Asian) markets for BP to build a case for healthy performance in China and strong international performance overall. To show that it didn't need a blowout in China to reach 1.3.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/5089920/

If we compare a some Asian markets, we can see that Black Panther is actually outperforming Thor Ragnarok, by the by:

By the end of its 2nd week, Thor Ragnarok had been opened and tracked in 51 International Markets
By the end of its 2nd week, Black Panther had been opened and tracked in 34 International Markets
Per BoxOfficeMojo

Head to Head Comparison of total Gross by the end of the 2nd week
Black Panther versus Thor Ragnarok

THE PHILIPPINES BLACK PANTHER WINS
$665,956
THAILAND
BLACK PANTHER WINS
$363,216
SINGAPORE BLACK PANTHER WINS
$637,406
SOUTH KOREA
BLACK PANTHER WINS
10.4 million (rounded)
$10,394,257
TAIWAN BLACK PANTHER WINS
2.4 million (rounded)
$2,382,855
Hong Kong BLACK PANTHER WINS
1.7 Million (rounded)
$1,737,557

Overall performance
Black Panther comes ahead by $13,798,392 in the same timeframe

Total 2 week gross for each
Black Panther at 2 weeks: 72,281,710
Thor Ragnarok at 2 weeks: 56,100,463

• What percentage did these 5 countries contribute to Thor Ragnaroks International lifetime gross?
12.5%
$67,341,417 (total)
$538,826,846 (Thor Ragnarok's total International take)
  • Compared to the lifetime gross of Thor Ragnarok: in these 5 countries, how does Black Panthers 2 week performance compare?
Black Panther is 5 million dollars ahead of Thor Ragnaroks Lifetime gross

Black Panther at 2 weeks: 72,281,710
Thor 3 lifetime gross: 67,341,417

If we just compared them based on which markets both had released in so far (that have been tracked)?

Black Panther would be beating Thor decisively. There's not a single poor indicator heading into the 9th.

I think we've all been holding our breath when it comes to Black Panther's foreign performance. But the movie seems to be performing as well or better than your standard MCU standalone.

Also it's important to understand that if a genre movie is doing X in pre-sales, that doesn't mean that the overall audience will show up the same as for another type of film. Comparing presales and performance of an MCU film against MCU films is very reasonable to me.

Long and short of it is that you can see how BP is indeed ahead of Thor 3 internationally even with BP coming in marginally under Thor 3 in China due to a very competitive slate that it was up against. To be fair in China I expected BP to earn anywhere from 10 to 20 million more than it did so I'm not perfect!

International Take
BP Current: $640,398,043
Thor 3 Lifetime: $538,913,087

So like I said, BP earning another 23m is very likely unless it gets depressed by IW when IW is actually playing.

You can average out its performance over TFA from week 4 onward and project it. We could chart BPs degree of performance above TFA overtime and then look at its overall trend, using confidence intervals and the like to project it with greater accuracy. I think that's unecessary when it's going to outperform TFA by potientially as much or almost as much as a uquarter of what it needs to outperform said film by (4.4m) until end of run off of a weekend that amounts to like 20% of the remainder of what TFA earned from here on out.

TFA WEEKEND: 3,907,295
BP WEEKEND: $4,642,000 (estimate)
Difference: 734,705
Overall difference needed: 4.4m
Weekend diffrerence as a percentage of total difference needed: 16%
off of a period where TFA earned 20% of the remainder of its gross.

But like I said, BP tends to beat estimates.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy just how profitable a terrible movie like Truth or Dare is. Already at 30m with a 3.5m budget.

Aren't they a little deceptive with this stuff? I seem to recall an article from forever ago about these cheap horror movies. Basically they have these way smaller than normal production budgets, but still use a normal amount of money on promotion, which they don't report as part of a budget. So, of course that movie is still doing great, but not as great as it appears on paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.