• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

FJvq4wE.png

oHII4Hh.png

A7KdkpO.png

Gx0Y3rN.png

Ew8YG7S.png

'A Quiet Place' Screams To $50M+ Opening; 'Blockers' Breaks Through To $21M+

Paramount's A Quiet Place is headed past $50M according to industry estimates this morning, after a Saturday of $19.1M, which is $100K higher than Friday's take. Note Friday included $4.3M Thursday previews, so what this means is that A Quiet Place isn't front-loaded like your standard horror movie, and that's a fantastic sign for business.

This is a truly great start for Paramount with a film that is bound to be quite profitable off its net $17M cost before P&A. In fact you have to go back to 2016 in regards to the last time when Paramount opened a film this high over three-days (Star Trek Beyond with $59.2M, but at a $185M pricetag it spilled red ink with a $343.5M global B.O.).

It was a great weekend for Warner Bros. and Universal as well. Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One from WB/Village Roadshow had a great hold which bodes well for its legs, -39% in its second weekend with $25.35M in No. 2 after a Saturday that was +65% over Friday with $11.2M. Current running cume for this feature take on Ernest Cline's YA novel: $97.4M.

Universal was able to ward off the curse for R-rated raunchy comedies with the Point Grey/Good Universe/DMG Entertainment/Hurwitz & Scholossberg produced Blockers seeing a $21.4M opening in third after a $8.3M Saturday, +6% over Friday.

Further down at No. 7 is Entertainment Studios' Chappaquiddick which drew a low $5.9M at 1,560. Mirror/LD's teen volleyball movie The Miracle Season didn't spike business with $4.1M at 1,707 venues.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you that are interested the Slash Filmcast's Summer Movie Wager is live. You try to pick the top DOM 10 and three wild cards. It's a fun dumb thing to do at the start of the summer and then revisit at the end of summer to see how well you did.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Blockers is actually funny. The characters seem live in and not cartoonish.

Mimosa97

Oct 25, 2017
John Krasinski/Emily Blunt Holy shit! Usually husband/wife duos tend to fail but these two are just too good.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
A Quiet Place did really well (understatement). BP keeps trucking.

So I guess next week Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle would be pre-inflation adjusted Sony's biggest domestic box office success. currently trailing by 65k which even with the decline it should beat.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell was Blockers more expensive to make than A Quiet Place? Nice results for both though. A Quiet Place must be having great word of mouth.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
This year's Get Out. Krasinski in a really strong place for his next film. Throw in Jack Ryan and Mary Poppins and it's an insane year for that couple.

Not bad from Blockers, especially with it not sucking and all.

Love, Simon finishing up well.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Sony's all time chart

yF6QyY9.jpg

After more than 15 years, Spider-man will give up the top spot next weekend.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Black Panther is at $1.3B ($1 299 855 740)*

I hope it will pass TLJ worldwide

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Depending on how it holds up against Rampage, $150M domestic seems reasonable for RPO.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
That's crazy for A Quiet Place. I'm going to have to wait a bit before I can watch it but I'm intrigued.
And I guess I was completely wrong about Ready Player One. My apologies, Steven!

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Paramount making a money off a film?

Paramount came in at #1 on the Box Office receipts?

What super crazy dark time line have we entered into

What was Para's last #1?, MI:5?

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Saw each of this weekend's Top 3 films yesterday... my personal ratings:

- A Quiet Place - 8.5/10
- Ready Player One - 7/10
- Blockers - 4.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.