• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
OrangeAtlas

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
You know I think we can attribute at least half of the opening weekend to the free trading card

detective-pikachu-movie-card-169-en.jpg

I mean look at this little bugger.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You know I think we can attribute at least half of the opening weekend to the free trading card

detective-pikachu-movie-card-169-en.jpg

I mean look at this little bugger.

THAT'S THE ONE I GOT

SO HAPPY I GOT IT.

As i was opening all i said is just give me a Pika Pika

And I got not only a Pika Pika but the cuttest coffee drinking Pika Pika ever.

I was very content

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So can someone tell me without hyperbole how this looks for Detective Pikachu?

I wasn't asking for Avengers success I just want it to do well enough to justify a sequel.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
So can someone tell me without hyperbole how this looks for Detective Pikachu?

I wasn't asking for Avengers success I just want it to do well enough to justify a sequel.
It is a decent but unspectacular opening. It will probably struggle to pass the profitability mark (400-500m roughly), but will most likely get there. It just isn't blowing up the way it needed to.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Didn't people say the MLP movie was also gonna hit 1 billion or something? The Pokemon fandom isn't that big to be honest, and those outside of it had probably zero interest in this movie.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I'm honestly surprised that people here thought Detective Pikachu was going to be some kind of breakout hit.

I mean, maybe I shouldn't be surprised that people *here* thought it was going to be but it looked like it was stuck in between being an odd looking kids movie and a movie made for middle aged adults to relive some nostalgia they had as a kid. I'm almost impressed it got to $100M first weekend because to me it seems like something that shouldn't have been released to theatres.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
150M on a video game movie.

It's like Hollywood is unaware of reality.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
If DP had came out at the height of the Pokemon Go craze, I think it would have done better.
pokemon as a brand has a pretty long tail in the games space. It might have done okay in summer 2016 as there wasn't a lot in terms of family movies then (ice age 5 :V) but I don't think this opening indicates a big diminishment of its potential. It's certainly doing a lot better than all of the animated films domestically and it will likely outgross every other video game adaptation on the same chart.
But there's an evident ceiling for video game movies and studios shouldn't be budgeting above that.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Any early projections for Godzilla?
At least we know that the next one is already a guarantee but still, I'd like to see it do well, I need more big budget kaiju films.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Any early projections for Godzilla?
At least we know that the next one is already a guarantee but still, I'd like to see it do well, I need more big budget kaiju films.

Like 55m? Somewhere around that, which is way lower than the first one in the trilogy unfortunately but no one is stupid enough to pretend it will do $1 billion.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Apollo 11 with $8.6 million must have turned a pretty nice profit right.

Shadow's performance makes me sad. The movie is a pretty solid one. At least it made a hell of a lot more money in China last year. :(

OP
OP
OrangeAtlas

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's a good thing they started with the big bombastic movie so they can scale it back and do more focused stuff for the next Pokemon movies.

Oh no.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So... any chance DP picks up from here, at least overseas? I mean. after the fever for endgame starts slowing down...

Status
Not open for further replies.