• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to think avengers may not pass avatar WW

Gonna guess about $100 mil this weekend (on top of dom friday and adding in int wed/thu), then next 2 weeks is about another $100 million combined (ww+domestic)leaving $40~ mil to go

That's gonna be real tough because they'll be winding down then

It's going to be very close but I have a feeling it's probably going to miss by less than $10 mil if i were to guess.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I just saw Detective Pikachu and enjoyed it. I thought it was a very good first outing for a Pokemon film.

... Deep down though, I understand why this wasn't a $100 million opener though. Even though I thought it was fun.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Starting to think avengers may not pass avatar WW

Gonna guess about $100 mil this weekend (on top of dom friday and adding in int wed/thu), then next 2 weeks is about another $100 million combined (ww+domestic)leaving $40~ mil to go

That's gonna be real tough because they'll be winding down then

It's going to be very close but I have a feeling it's probably going to miss by less than $10 mil if i were to guess.

Feige better be handing in his resignation as we speak.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Endgame drops aren't looking good.

Over at Box Office Theory:

FDMHCeK.png

And I thought 850-860 was the ceiling.

Seems like AVATAR is safe boyz.

It's going to be close. If I were to guess I'd say $10m-$40m difference with AVATAR ahead.

Sidenote: Endgame will continue to lose screens as the days go by.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Endgame's domestic legs are crumbling. How are the overseas sans China numbers holding up?

Those are a little difficult to track and or require some math lol but here is a breakdown:

By foreign weekend

April 26-28
$866,526,407

May 3-5
$284,768,387

May 10-12
$103,362,367

It's going to do a lot less this weekend internationally. These numbers include China.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Those are a little difficult to track and or require some math lol but here is a breakdown:

By foreign weekend

April 26-28
$866,526,407

May 3-5
$284,768,387

May 10-12
$103,362,367

It's going to do a lot less this weekend internationally. These numbers include China.
It has dropped 67 and then 63% internationally. So if it follows the same trend and does say a 60% drop this weekend, it will pull in $41.34m this weekend.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I think a lot of the screens in my city (Jakarta) cinemas have been replaced with John Wick, like 3 JW3, 1 Pika, 1 Endgame, that ratio.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
It was brought up outside of here and talk of domestic legs for giant opening films, and Wonder Woman was brought up. That was an impressive as hell run at the box office, and managed a 3.99x multiplier (let's say 4x for simplicity sake). That kind of multiplier is insane for a superhero film. For instance, Infinity War had a 2.63x multiplier. First Avengers had a 3x.

And it made me look at OW over $100m. Of all time OW, Wonder Woman is at #51 all time at this moment. So 50 other films had larger openings than it, and only one other film that opened above $100m has managed to have box office longevity like Wonder Woman had.

That movie?
MV5BMDJhMGRjN2QtNDUxYy00NGM3LThjNGQtMmZiZTRhNjM4YzUxL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was brought up outside of here and talk of domestic legs for giant opening films, and Wonder Woman was brought up. That was an impressive as hell run at the box office, and managed a 3.99x multiplier (let's say 4x for simplicity sake). That kind of multiplier is insane for a superhero film. For instance, Infinity War had a 2.63x multiplier. First Avengers had a 3x.

And it made me look at OW over $100m. Of all time OW, Wonder Woman is at #51 all time at this moment. So 50 other films had larger openings than it, and only one other film that opened above $100m has managed to have box office longevity like Wonder Woman had.

That movie?
MV5BMDJhMGRjN2QtNDUxYy00NGM3LThjNGQtMmZiZTRhNjM4YzUxL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
Yeah... Wonder Woman had amazing legs 😏

But yeah, what a great run it had in theaters.

Look at these holds:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=wonderwoman.htm

It appears that it had a staggered release as more theaters were added nearly 2 months after release which certainly helped it a bit.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019

That movie?

Shrek 2 was truly special

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Well, at least people aren't running around saying that Endgame WW > Avatar WW is a lock anymore. It may still happen, may not, but the confidence after Endgame's mad OW is starting to look a little foolish

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Yeah... Wonder Woman had amazing legs 😏

But yeah, what a great run it had in theaters.

Look at these holds:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=wonderwoman.htm

It appears that it had a staggered release as more theaters were added nearly 2 months after release which certainly helped it a bit.
Interesting that when it had that re expansion the per theater average nearly halved, lol.
But once it hit August it was the crawl to the finish line for that 4x multiplier. Still impressive AF.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Friends and I went to see Detective Pikachu tonight (almost walked out it was so bad) and John Wick has taken most of Endgame's screenings at my place. Like 7 to 3 now.

Good night sweet prince.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Yeah, that OW was absolutely bonkers. Blew past the 1 billion people were hoping for. Simply incredible.
Yeah, everything was pointing to $300m domestic and $1b WW OW as the most optimistic and insane scenario. Then it did $357m domestic and $1.2b WW. The fact that it broke nearly every math model they had for the box office that weekend is nuts. The fact that you could not count any other movie that weekend but Endgame at the domestic box office and it would be the record for most money spent at theaters in a single weekend is fucking nuts.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Endgame may get a memorial weekend push in the states. But competition is rough now.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Again, Endgame is just performing like a normal blockbuster with the drops each week. It is the fact that it started at such great heights that make it seem horrible. Hey, at least it is trending above Civil War for MCU legs.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Civil War's legs, thankfully it's better than that.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Endgame drops aren't looking good.

Over at Box Office Theory:

FDMHCeK.png

And I thought 850-860 was the ceiling.

Seems like AVATAR is safe boyz.

It's going to be close. If I were to guess I'd say $10m-$40m difference with AVATAR ahead.

Sidenote: Endgame will continue to lose screens as the days go by.
This is about what I expected the entire time, and yet crazy Marvel fans on this forum were acting like it was impossible and I was a fool.

I'm looking forward to the crow people here are going to have to eat.

Oct 28, 2017

That movie?
Shrek 2 is one of the greatest animated movies of all time so that's not a surprise. It held the record for highest grossing animated movie until Toy Story 3 came along 6 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.