• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
This is such a strange thing to hope for.

Not really. It's kinda like watching a really good thread backfire or an overconfident prediction turning out wrong. It's all in good fun. Hell I was one of the people jumping on the 3B train and I still think it would be fun to watch. Looking forward to the avatar betting thread being bumped if and when that happens.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Second one opened a bit over 2x the ow of the first. This one is opening near 2x of that one. It has really good momentum and is great to see.

I'm looking forward to international numbers as well. At least here in Australia it seems to be getting more of a wide opening and I could see it growing significantly.

JW1 to JW3 went from 2.8 million to 3.1 million or so. I could see JW3 possibly doing more than double that number.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this has been posted, but John Wick 3 made $56 mil domestically this weekend.

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-o...avengers-endgame-debut-box-office-1203219646/

Very well deserved since it's the greatest action series of our time.

Looking forward to the heavily hinted 4th one if the 3rd one does well enough. Also whatever "cinematic universe" that comes with the territory since there's just so much to explore.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Cinderella continues her reign as best live action Disney remake.

hurdles_low_ars.jpg

Avatar 1 had the 3D novelty effect and wowed everyone with that, but what kind of revolutionary tech can James pull this time?

The amusing thing is so few movies are shot in 3D or designed for 3D these days (virtually none) it's quite possible Avatar doesn't have to do anything particularly revolutionary these days to impress.

Cool but we dont know jack shit. So its not guaranteed its gonna destroy China or shit.

We know part of it takes place underwater.

We know China loves Avatar.
We know China loves weird underwater shit.

1+1=2

It's maths!

This is such a strange thing to hope for.
There's nothing weird to hope for the most entertaining outcome. It would be the biggest slice of schadenfreude this box office community has ever seen.

I'm fairly certain Endgame will crawl its way past Avatar though.

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The voice work and acting from the kid in Jungle Book is horrendous. It was right out of a bad anime dub.

Hope Favreau gets better performances out of his Lion King cast

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
lol

I just realized Endgame will likely end up #2 domestic, #2 OS, #2 WW.

Thanos appreciates the balance.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Looking at the dailies for avatar and by the end of March it starts dropping below a million a day even on weekends yet stays in theaters until July. It goes quite a while making around 100,000 or less a day

Would Disney keep things going like that to match it?

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
John Wick 3 did phenomenally. Already more than the first one made in the US total, and nearly double the second one's opening weekend. Don't think we'll have to worry about if a fourth film will happen

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the dailies for avatar and by the end of March it starts dropping below a million a day even on weekends yet stays in theaters until July. It goes quite a while making around 100,000 or less a day

They're completely different box office runs. No.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

Look at the day of releases. On day 100 for IW, a Saturday at that, it pulled in $102, 563. Meanwhile, Avatar's 100th day, coincidentally also a Saturday, pulled in $870,290.

Very different runs.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
It's a movie where the biggest punchline is a guy jizzing on his own face. It's not a bad movie, but I don't get the forlorn "They just don't make them like that anymore" sentiment.
Think that's a bit harsh. I found it was genuinely funny throughout and that Rogen & Theron really sold it. Reviews mostly echoed the same thing. I think it deserved better too.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand how avatar made so much money. Only thing I can think of is the 3D, cause damn if that movie ain't average as all hell.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
And going off reported production budgets, Avatar was also made for $120m less than Endgame, which is impressive AF because of how much of the film is pure CGI.

Nov 30, 2018
And going off reported production budgets, Avatar was also made for $120m less than Endgame, which is impressive AF because of how much of the film is pure CGI.

I mean, a majority of the budget for Endgame was obviously the cast.

That's why they barely have screentime throughout the Avengers films. They can't afford every single star at their normal salary.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about Avatar had me toss on the Blu last night. STILL looks gorgeous but man, a 4K Dolby Vision disc before the release of A2 would sell a ton.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Li Gong said that the live action Mulan has the biggest budget ever for Disney with around $300+ million. She may be wrong but if it's true then Disney seems to be banking hard on this one.

https:/twitter.com/gavinfeng97/status/1130018663631917056?s=21

I'm pretty sure this remake is going to not get positive reception from fans either. They are changing a ton.

The point of Mulan is to break the Disney live action movies into the Chinese market, so they're changing the story to be more like the actual legend than the cartoon was, and hoping the American audience will just go along with it while the Chinese audience eats it up. It's a fair bet to make, but we'll have to see if it works out for them.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a graph of cumulative gross for the two movies side by side?

How in the hell can Avengers not make up $200m globally in 4 more weeks in theaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.