• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

GPuK3dp.png

iPbMaRj.png

yMJln88.png

y8grBAF.png

xSlJbyQ.png

'Pokemon Detective Pikachu' Catches $103M In Overseas Bow; 'Avengers: Endgame' Has Now Assembled $2.486B WW

Legendary Entertainment/Warner Bros' Pokemon Detective Pikachu took the No. 1 spot at the international box office this weekend with a $103M start in 62 markets, just edging the third frame of Avengers: Endgame. Along with the early release in Japan, Pikachu's offshore cume is $112.4Mthrough Sunday, and the global total with the strong domestic bow is $170.4M.

By a hair of his lightning tail, Pikachu topped the third overseas session of Disney/Marvel's Endgame which added $102.3M in 55 material markets (globally the MCU pic won the weekend with $165.4M to the little critter's $161M). Last session, Endgamesailed past Titanic to become the No. 2 movie of all time both offshore and worldwide. Its cumes currently sit at $1.762B international and $2.486B global. Endgame remains the No. 2 film of all time behind Avatar with about $302M now separating them on a worldwide basis.

Turning back to the Rob Letterman-helmed Pikachu, the $103M overseas launch is in line with pre-weekend projections and reps No.1 starts in some key markets where he went up against the continued play of Thanos and company. Within Europe, the Ryan Reynolds-starrer topped the charts in the UK, Italy, Spain and Holland. In Asia, it was No. 1 in Indonesia, Taiwan, Malaysia and Thailand. There are further markets to release including Russia this week.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Avengers: Endgame - $2.486B
Captain Marvel - $1.123B
Pokémon Detective Pikachu - $170M
The Curse of La Llorona - $113M
Teen Spirit - $0.4M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will struggle to hit 500m worldwide and barely be profitable.

Congrats to the biggest entertainment brand in the world.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
sneak recorded footage of OrangeAtlas slacking off instead of working on the thread:

a6b.gif

-------------------------------------------

My pet theory that NEON should stick to documentaries keeps holding up, Biggest Little Farm had the highest PTA of the weekend and a really solid start for it. And NEON also had the lowest PTA of the weekend with scripted drama Little Woods (96% RT with an average rating of 7.75/10).

I am still not sure what made Searchlight debut Tolkien as wide as they did, and it had a pretty darn soft start for all their efforts.

All Is True did not set the world on fire, should have adapted an actual play Branagh! Not written smutty Shakespeare fan-fiction.

Poms is not gonna be this years' Book Club, I guess the controversy didn't help it after all

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Detective Pikachu does decently. I need sequels to spawn from this (probably won't happen at the current trajectory), and it still hurts Power Rangers 2017 came and went, ugh. At least I'm getting Tomb Raider 2.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its gonna be interesting to see if Pikachu actually makes enough in its run to make a profit, and if that profit is enough for a sequel to be made.

Oct 31, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

GPuK3dp.png

iPbMaRj.png

yMJln88.png

y8grBAF.png

xSlJbyQ.png

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Avengers: Endgame - $2.486B
Captain Marvel - $423M
Pokémon Detective Pikachu - $170M
The Curse of La Llorona - $113M
Teen Spirit - $0.4M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

You have CM's domestic number for its WW update.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still cant get over the "Biggest entertainment brand in the world" horseshit some people actually believed lol.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Pika pika gonna need legs like a centipede or else a ton losing their "sure" bet.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Not a terrible opening, but I feel like Detective Pikachu could have done more. Hopefully it has decent legs.

Also, can we expect Endgame to pass Avatar by the end of May?

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I see we're back in the GAF days with these titles. Shame on you all.

Maybe this will turn out to be Pokémon's Batman Begins.
I think people (myself included) were underestimating the amount of skepticism audiences have for the very concept of a videogame adaptation. If this garners a positive reputation in its post-theater life, I'm sure this will end up being quite a successful franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing's really tracking that high at the moment for both Aladdin and Godzilla. I wonder if anything will break out during this summer before Spiderman comes.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, Endgame really 3-peated the same weekend the biggest entertainment franchise in history dropped its first live action movie?

That's crazy.

(But seriously, I thought Pikachu would at least nab $100 million)

Avatar won't be toppled at this point, huh?

What?

It's guaranteed to pass it within the next couple of weeks at this point.

moogan

Nov 2, 2017
It'll happen, the final totals will just be closer than we on the train thought. $3bil prob dead :'
Best case is probably 500mil for Detective Pikachu now

Think it's gonna happen
Endgame is 300 million away from Avatar. It'll happen next Sunday.
Probably will, within the next two weeks.
oh, musta misremembered really bad, thought avatar was like 3 bil oops
consider me corrected

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Endgame got like $300 million this week, right?
Another $300 million isn't gonna happen in a week or 2.

End of May at the earliest.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
So EG is following IW to the T. Its got 130mil to 150mil in the tank left for DOM and its got 300mil to go. Its not going to blow past Avatar if it beats it.

Concern would be, while IW had an exceptionally weak May/Early June comp. Outside of Deadpool and Solo, it was Book Club, Show Dogs, Life of the Party, Adrift. Shit that didn't open past 20mil OW. EG is going through Pikachu right now, with John Wick next week, Aladdin the next, Godzilla, SLOP2/Dark Pheonix, etc. And that doesn't include Rocketman and Ma both pegged for 20mil+ openings already. I think EG has to be within piss distance of Avatar by the end of Memorial Weekend, otherwise Avatar is going to keep the crown.

Last edited:

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
*walks up to mic, clears throat*

Defective Pikachu.

*walks away as crowd goes wild, trying to jump on stage and attack as security tries their best to hold them back*

Status
Not open for further replies.