• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
So at this point do we feel like a 3hr runtime doesn't really matter for the initial stretch of the run if the movie is big enough, but maybe it does have an effect on longevity? Or is this just such a special case that you can't really see that as a takeaway with so many other factors involved.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
So at this point do we feel like a 3hr runtime doesn't really matter for the initial stretch of the run if the movie is big enough, but maybe it does have an effect on longevity? Or is this just such a special case that you can't really see that as a takeaway with so many other factors involved.
Titanic should answer your question.

Also (kind of) Return of the King.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I'd say that is a fair assessment, but at same time the MCU has earned the right to go with a 3 hour length film. It is still going for Avatar anyway, so quality over worrying about how long a film has to be for max profit worked in this case.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
how many of the 357M of that OW are from the night showings?

I think it's unfair to use normal metrics to evaluate EG legs. What happened in that OW is something never seen in cinema history.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Titanic should answer your question.

Also (kind of) Return of the King.

True true. Feels like Titanic is hard to compare with because of the Cameron secret sauce but it's the best modern example pre-Endgame that we have. ROTK while well received isn't really in the same stratosphere in terms of financial success. Our new top 3 is made up of 3 very different movies with very different success stories.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
For myself, I'd say it's about evened out since the quality of the movie makes me want to see it more times in the theater than any other film in recent memory (I have A-List anyways), but at the same time, 3 hours is a big enough investment of my day that it's dissuaded me from going impulsively. To be fair, it probably would only work out to 2, maybe 3 more times through the whole run though.

Infinity War was more thrilling through it's run time, but even at a shorter run time, I felt emotionally drained by the end, so I think after a few times in the theater I felt like I got my fill until home video. I could see myself watching IW on blu-ray more than EG over time since it is a rollercoaster ride, but EG has more moments that lift you up and pacing is mostly pretty solid so that 3 hour run time doesn't feel like it once you are in your seat, so it feels like a breeze to rewatch.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
As expected JW3 had a huge opening in Australia, just missed topping JW2's lifetime gross in its opening week.

Pikachu had a really good second week hold. It won't suddenly become a hit but it will eek out a slightly better total than expected. Struggling to keep a decent number of screen though despite a high per screen average. With Alladin coming that may hurt it.

Endgame's legs are ok but this will be the telling week. Alladin looks to be taking most of the premium screens and in general looks to be getting a lot of showings.

How do you argue that a 3hr runtime is a proven barrier to legs when Titanic exists?

Different time I guess. There seems to be a lot more big movies coming out these days which could mean more competition for screens. Hard to justify keeping a 3hr movie around when there are lots of new movies fighting for screens.

I agree though. I think the monstrous opening likely had a much bigger impact on endgames legs than the run time.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How do you argue that a 3hr runtime is a proven barrier to legs when Titanic exists?

Yep. Especially since both titanic and endgame made mad cash.

Endgame is leveling out like a normal blockbuster and that's fine.

It may beat Avatar it may not. Either way, joining Cameron in the 2 billy is a remarkable achievement.

Oct 31, 2017
True true. Feels like Titanic is hard to compare with because of the Cameron secret sauce but it's the best modern example pre-Endgame that we have. ROTK while well received isn't really in the same stratosphere in terms of financial success. Our new top 3 is made up of 3 very different movies with very different success stories.

I think Titanic can be considered a different era.

Not saying 3 hours is a barrier to legs, but Titanic came out during a completely different time. I doubt anything will replicate it going forward, similar to how nothing will replicate gone with the wind's performance even though that was a 4 hour movie or something. In this day and age you have youtube thumbnails and good quality scenes from the movies (along with bootlegged copies) the day it releases, let alone a week or two after. That simply wasn't the case 10+ years ago.

I may eat crow, but I don't think Avatar 2 will have the legs Avatar 1 had, let alone Titanic. That's not to take away how impressive Avatar's (and especially Titanic's) runs were, but I don't think that ever happens again. According to mojo a modern day impressive run to me were Wonder Woman with its 4x multiplier off a 100MM+ OW and Black Panther with its 200MM OW and 3.5x multiplier. Titanic had a 23x and Avatar had a 10x multiplier off a 70MM+ OW.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Endgame is similar to RotK in the fact that it is so long that I'll probably only ever rewatch it in its entirety a few times but Ill always go back and watch certain scenes because of how satisfying they are.

Last edited:

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Yet alone avatar. Which was also 3 hours.
Avatar is 162 minutes. Two minutes more than Infinity War. Also, staying for the credits wasn't a thing with it. That's 2h:42min.

As for Titanic: it was released literally almost 22 years ago. It was a different world back then, it didn't have to compete with all kinds of entertainment alternatives that Endgame has to today.

Last edited:

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Pleasantly surprising given how lamely they treated JW2 in Australia. I seem to recall a point in time when I didn't even know if it was going to even release here.

I ended up missing it in cinemas because it got such a small release in Newcastle. Also yeah I seem to remember that as well which no doubt hurt it's box office.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The rest of the world doesn't care as much about Star Wars sadly.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rest of the world doesn't care about Star Wars but Star Wars is still the undeniable king of blockbuster franchises domestically after Marvel tried and failed to come for the throne with Endgame.

So always just remember that the next time you look at the American flag. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Star Wars is America.
101e363f745ea9879d4cbea41543cfe9.jpg

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Rest of the world doesn't care about Star Wars but Star Wars is still the undeniable king of blockbuster franchises domestically after Marvel tried and failed to come for the throne with Endgame.

So always just remember that the next time you look at the American flag. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
How about

Throne Game Wars

The ultimate universal crossover

2022, dump D&D

3B is in the bag folks.
Starring Vin Diesel

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I was in college when Mulan opened in theaters. I remember being super hyped from the trailers, then disappointed when I finally saw the film.
It would have been better if it were not a musical.

Status
Not open for further replies.