• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What stage of grief are you in about Endgame not beating Avatar for #1 worldwide?

• Denial

Votes: 32 19.5%
  • Anger

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Bargaining

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Depression

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 109 66.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
California
It's actually not that. There's a lot of F-bombs but it's a good coming of age story with a great cast.
If it was that it wouldn't have glowing reviews like it has.

That's what it looks like from the trailers, but after watching and reading reviews on it, everyone seems to be really high on it, calling it the best comedy to come out in years. I'll watch it on one of my days off then.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I would also suggest Jonah Hex as a recent example. One of the few films I walked out of the theater for.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we should make a thread about which is the WORST superhero film. Or a "Bottom 5" or something.

It would be fun to see the consensus.
I don't think there would be a consensus. It would be mostly posters trolling recent Marvel/DC movies, and ignoring much more obvious trash like Catwoman, Supergirl, Superman 4, The Spirit, Ghost Rider 1&2, or Elektra. People's memory for this stuff only stretches back like 5-10 years.

Oct 31, 2017

"Y'all gonna watch it anyway"

- MBJ

I'm not sure I would put Fant4stic in contention for "worst superhero films" since it's barely a finished film. It's hanging by a thread, on the verge of totally breaking down. It's really something that shouldn't even have been released.

FF is the only franchise that had not one, but two movies produced (one released as per the newer contract) just to keep the licensing rights.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there would be a consensus. It would be mostly posters trolling recent Marvel/DC movies, and ignoring much more obvious trash like Catwoman, Supergirl, Superman 4, The Spirit, Ghost Rider 1&2, or Elektra. People's memory for this stuff only stretches back like 5-10 years.
Right, i propose a couple posts down limiting it to films at or below a specific RT score.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Thread: "What's the crappiest game?"
Posters: "Oh, oh, oh , I know! It's The Witcher 3 and The Last of Us and Breath of the Wild and RDR and..."

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine if Aladdin actually was good. It just lacks the magic and character of the original by quite some. It's not terrible it's just lacking.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
My local AMC is doing a lot of splits with the IMAX/Dolby theaters this summer, this week Aladdin is in Dolby during the day and last two showings are Brightburn in Dolby (both play in regular screens of course). So figured I might as well escape some relatives and use my A-List to check out Brightburn.

Really enjoyed it, nothing really spectacular or new but it was well executed, short, and I felt like every character's actions made sense. It did feel a bit more like a horror movie than anything else, although pretty low key horror only 4-5 mildly scary scenes. The kid actor was fantastic, he is creepy as hell and I would legit run away if I saw him. Its really well shot and vfx'd for a $6m budget movie, hope it makes it back easily. Would love to see a big budget movie of the same idea from someone like DC.

Rest of the cast is great too, Elizabeth Banks is fantastic as the mom and the dad is played by the first warehouse office boyfriend of Pam from the Office. Badger from Breaking Bad is also in it in a minor part.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It's weird to me how John Wick still isn't really cracking the overseas market. They still have a heavy domestic split. There are several markets where it should be performing much better than it is, especially UK. I also think it could potentially play well in South Korea, where revenge thrillers like The Man From Nowhere are pretty popular. What's the deal? Garbage distributors?

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
Smaller budget movies I'd imagine normally focus on domestic. Profit take is much higher compared to overseas.

Kinda why I think people blow overseas numbers out of proportions. China must be a drastically low profit take .

Edit - Studios only get 25% of profit from China ticket sales ....that's insanely low compared to other markets especially NA.

Why I can't take China numbers that serious when people want to brag about them because so and so movie did gangbusters.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
JW's action is godlike but I dont care about its lore, all that secret assassin society nonesense.

China and Korean have several action movies with local stars come out every year. They may not be good as JW, but people not exactly crave for more. Just like Crazy Rich Asian flopped so hard in China because nobody cares.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just dropping in to say that Zatt's pure denial of Endgame falling short of Avatar is making this thread an amazingly entertain read. Thank you.
Why the hell WB thought that releasing DP after two weeks of Endgame was a good idea?

The same person who choose to sandwich Shazam between CM and Endgame is also blamed for Shazam's weak performance.

The problem is when would have been a better time? Disney has so many huge tentpole releases now that it's basically a matter of picking your poison. That goes for both Pikachu and Shazam. If it's not close to Captain Marvel or Endgame, it's close to Aladdin, or Toy Story, or Spider-Man. It's hard to compete with Disney, but WB still has to try. 2 weeks after the last major release with no other major films opening at the same time is honestly the best you could hope for nowadays in the summer season.

I think the interest for Pikachu just wasn't as high as some might have expected/hoped. The movie itself also having a mixed reception didn't help when this month (and summer) is stacked with high quality releases.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
JW's action is godlike but I dont care about its lore, all that secret assassin society nonesense.
Watching the third film, which I did enjoy, I couldn't help thinking that this will ultimately be the death of the franchise.

You could feel the film creeking everytime they got into that stuff in Parabellum.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Smaller budget movies I'd imagine normally focus on domestic. Profit take is much higher compared to overseas.

Kinda why I think people blow overseas numbers out of proportions. China must be a drastically low profit take .
IIRC the studio take of revenue is about:

55% domestic
45% foreign
25% China

Not sure what you mean by overblowing overseas numbers, since we usually just talk about revenue here, but China is still a extremely important market for blockbusters. I can see why distributors might not bother with something like John Wick though if foreign audiences prefer local movies with local stars for their low-mid budget action films.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the third film, which I did enjoy, I couldn't help thinking that this will ultimately be the death of the franchise.

You could feel the film creeking everytime they got into that stuff in Parabellum.
Don't really understand this line of thinking. That stuff -is- the franchise. And has been since the first movie. The action is top notch but Keanu is otherwise just playing a generic action man. The weird assassin society mythology is what props up the skeleton of the movies to allow the action to play out.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Ghost Rider 2 does not deserve to be lumped in to the first.

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
IIRC the studio take of revenue is about:

55% domestic
45% foreign
25% China

Not sure what you mean by overblowing overseas numbers, since we usually just talk about revenue here, but China is still a extremely important market for blockbusters. I can see why distributors might not bother with something like John Wick though if foreign audiences prefer local movies with local stars for their low-mid budget action films.

Those are huge differences.

Let's look at a big money maker like Endgame.

That means it gets a profit of 440 so far domestic (off of 800m)

570 foreign (off of 1.27 billion)

150 China (off of 610 million)

I can guarantee when people are talking revenue on here a lot don't realize these discrepancie on actual profit .

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
I watched Booksmart today and I agree that people need to see it. The movie was so good probably one of my favorite movies of the year so far.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Those are huge differences.

Let's look at a big money maker like Endgame.

That means it gets a profit of 440 so far domestic (off of 800m)

570 foreign (off of 1.27 billion)

150 China (off of 610 million)

I can guarantee when people are talking revenue on here a lot don't realize these discrepancie on actual profit .
Everyone realizes this. We just don't really discuss it because box office discussion is centered on revenue. The only time we really talk about profit is when we're discussing the likelihood of a movie getting a sequel or when end-of-year lists of highest RoI charts get posted.

$150m from China is still far more than any other market except the US. It's more than Europe's top 6 markets (UK, France, Germany, Russia, Italy, and Spain) combined. It matters for Disney, and anyone else making big blockbusters.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PhoncipleBone where we standing big guy?

Endgame at the end of its rope or we gonna watch this thing burn some more? I need tears from someone.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Don't really understand this line of thinking. That stuff -is- the franchise. And has been since the first movie. The action is top notch but Keanu is otherwise just playing a generic action man. The weird assassin society mythology is what props up the skeleton of the movies to allow the action to play out.
A mythology like this one is more effective when it is barely hinted at and stays in the background. When you delve into it too much you lose the mystery, which is its biggest appeal. That's why I thought 2 was a big step down from 1. Haven't seen 3 yet.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When they just hint around the edges it's cool, mysterious and compelling

When they start getting into "how this all actually works" is where the trouble begins.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
It will be interesting to see the numbers after Monday in the US. Do we expect 5 or 6 million more for Endgame ? So we will be close to 2.7 B worldwide. I said I was expecting to happen this week. It will be close.

It's going to be longer as well to reach 2.8 B. Maybe in enf of July or early August ?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
With a further $15.3M, Disney/Marvel's Endgame brings its cume to $1.879Binternationally and $2.678B worldwide. That puts $110M between it and Avatar for the all-time record. A final still will be close for the heroes and the Na'vi. If Endgamefalls short, a re-release could certainly get them there, but it remains to be seen which way Disney chooses to go.

Endgame ended its run in China with $629.1M and in the UK has now passed $110M. Regionally, the grosses are an all-time industry high of $1.11B in Asia-Pacific; $505M in Europe where it is the No. 5 movie ever; and $246M in Latin America, also the all-time industry high.

Behind China are the UK ($110.9M), Korea ($103.9M), Brazil ($81.6M) and Mexico ($75.6M) to round out the Top 5.

Source: https://deadline.com/2019/05/aladdi...a-global-international-box-office-1202622439/

My 2 cents: once June gets here, we are going to start seeing some pretty spectacular holds for Endgame, with schools starting to go out. Some will claim some non-sense about how Disney is buying their own tickets like it was said about Captain Marvel. It will get there in some time between end of June, beginning of July. I don't think that it will need an expansion or re-release, but I am starting to believe that will happen regardless.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Considering Disney's current slate for 2019 , when do you think they will re-release Endgame in theaters?
I'd argue that Endgame getting a re-release is becoming too much of a talking point among the trades, and that leads me to think there is a smoke to the fire. So I have two possible outcome scenarios happening for this:

The Lion King is July 19, and then there is this big hole in their calendar that is August, with films like these scheduled: The Art of Dancing in the Rain (August 9), Ready or Not (August 23), Ad Astra (September 20), The Woman in the Window (October 4). Then there is Maleficent 2 in October 18 and Frozen 2 in November 22.

So what I think it will happen:

Scenario A:

A rexpansion on the domestic market. Just something to go for the film's last legs. I could see "Ready or Not" pushed to next year (horror tinged release, not an usual Disney thing), The Art of Dancing in the Rain moved to that slot and a mild expansion just for the final leg of Endgame. I think something like this happening is the most likely scenario.

Scenario B:

An actual re-release, a special edition of Endgame. While this is unlikely, I wouldn't complete discard the possibility. If there is footage and they have one last surprise under their sleeve, it could happen.

A re-release will happen either way imho by 2020's Oscar season, but I fully expect Endgame to have already topped Avatar by then.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, but I think Fan4stic was better than Suicide Squad. Fuck that movie in its entirety. At least F4 had a somewhat interesting 1st act (that ultimately fell flat on its stupid face in the 2nd act and had a hilariously awful 3rd).

Never saw Fant4stic, as a fan of the comics it would have broken my heart.

Suicide Squad was indeed bad but managed to be a fun watch anyway. Reading about how it was reshot to completely change its plot, I'm surprised it was watchable at all.

I find BvS an enjoyable movie if you can accept the premise of the world it's set in. I never had any problem with Luthor's scheme or "Martha." my issue was pacing and trying to stuff way too much into it, and the lame 3rd act fight.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Justice League is the worst comic flick, no contest
I don't even think it's the clear choice for the worst comic flick of 2017.

Ghost in the Shell
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Speaking of Valerian, I still cringe sometimes when I think about how big of a bomb that movie was. Almost John Carter level bomb, but it was an independent production without the financial backing of a huge corporation like Disney. Ouch.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Looks like Aladdin actuals will be around 91M. 4-day should end up in the neighbourhood of 115M

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/05/aladdi...a-global-international-box-office-1202622439/

My 2 cents: once June gets here, we are going to start seeing some pretty spectacular holds for Endgame, with schools starting to go out. Some will claim some non-sense about how Disney is buying their own tickets like it was said about Captain Marvel. It will get there in some time between end of June, beginning of July. I don't think that it will need an expansion or re-release, but I am starting to believe that will happen regardless.
disco-stu-simpsons-billboard-620.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.