• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What stage of grief are you in about Endgame not beating Avatar for #1 worldwide?

• Denial

Votes: 32 19.5%
  • Anger

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Bargaining

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Depression

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 109 66.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SRO7

Nov 30, 2017
Just quick calculations trying to figure out how much Endgame will need do domestically in order to take Avatar WW ( 2,787,965,087).

Assuming Domestic/WW split:

29/71: 808,509,875
29.5/70.5: 822,449,700
30/70: 836,389,526
30.5/69.5: 850,329,351
31/69: 864,269,176

I assume Endgame will finish with something closer to 30/70 split, which mean it will need to do extra ~40mil domestically in order to take on Avatar all-time WW record.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
the aladdin actually is a good time, everyone i know and most twitter audience reactions seems everyone is enjoying the trailers soured people on the film, but it's pretty enjoyable

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Haha no.. it's more about the bot like reactions I've seen in the Aladdin thread and here.

"It's soooo good, everyone needs to see it"
"Don't believe the critics ! It's amazing, go see it"

It has been rinse repeat

It's not like critics haven't been wrong before. The movie flew by. It's a movie that the trailers and high expectations set up for failure. When you see it, it's definitely better than many have been led to believe

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Disney have done an appalling job of getting me excited for these remakes. Anecdotal of course but the marketing for them has also been notably bad, I'm not surprised at Aladdin's UK numbers because it's barely been talked about IRL. Beauty and the Beast was the exception I feel, maybe Jungle Book slightly behind it but my god they've managed to be at once something that is easy to ignore and not care about spending money on based off of the quality thus far yet I almost care *too* much because I want this Disney money going to something- anything- else.

I dunno it seems to be resonating with American audiences at least but I've had my fill of them already.

/rant.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Booksmart was pretty nice.

I didn't know Olivia Wilde directed it.

It's pretty good people.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
It's only in a few countries and it makes perfect sense.
It's a very US centered indie movie with barely any recognisable actors besides Sudeikis and the lesser known of the Friends main cast.
Superbad had much bigger buzz and famous cast and it didn't even reach 50M$ outside the US.
Nothing about Booksmart looks like a must see in the theatre experience, it will definitely reach more people this way.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Word of mouth for Aladdin is pretty mixed in my circles. I'm gonna check it out this week.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
It's only in a few countries and it makes perfect sense.
It's a very US centered indie movie with barely any recognisable actors besides Sudeikis and the lesser known of the Friends main cast.
Superbad had much bigger buzz and famous cast and it didn't even reach 50M$ outside the US.
Nothing about Booksmart looks like a must see in the theatre experience, it will definitely reach more people this way.

To add to this, going forward there are going to be a LOT of small and mid-tier movies (monetarily) that will get international distribution through streaming while theatrically released Stateside. Distributors simply make so much less per ticket in international theaters that the balance completely reverses the blockbuster model's profits when Netflix is willing to pony up and let the company completely avoid the distribution costs. This is honestly probably beneficial to these movies being made.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Booksmart a bomb. Expected it to do better with the ad blitz (well seems to have been an ad blitz). On flip side, expected Aladdin to do slightly worse.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah End Game fell way behind IW with that weekend. Far From Home bump will be insignificant given the theatre count it will have at that point. Cameron will hold on to the top spot.
Never say never. Disney just has to buy 100m worth of tickets

Also I blame Europe for their support of avatar

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
Never say never. Disney just has to buy 100m worth of tickets

Also I blame Europe for their support of avatar

If Avatar came out around now with that China market , it wouldn't even be close lol. Avengers needed an insane amount of money from China for a chance to top it

Antoo

May 1, 2019
It isn't a surprise Booksmart bombed. AnnaPurna distributing it should have made that obvious.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
I'm impressed Dumbo is still hanging around.

There's not a ton of movies out right now that are great for parents to bring very young children to other than maybe Ugly Dolls. Given the choice between the two most parents would probably choose Dumbo if only for the sake of their own entertainment.

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the first 20 minutes of Booksmart before I had to leave for an emergency. Didn't laugh once, but does it get funnier? Or is it just not for me?

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I do wonder if James Cameron watches this as intently as we do. I'm cackling at the thought.
I imagine it's been a lot like this:

giphy.gif

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If Avatar came out around now with that China market , it wouldn't even be close lol. Avengers needed an insane amount of money from China for a chance to top it
But would it have had the same legs and would it have had more competition with another blockbuster water movie last Christmas?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to watch Booksmart

It really looked terrible to me in the trailer I saw. But, seeing it getting good reviews and people here saying it's good, I'm intrigued. My wife is always up for lighter stuff, especially after watching a man slowly take a knife into his eyeball on Friday. Maybe we'll have to check it out.

Oct 26, 2017
REALLY soft international opening for Aladdin considering it opened in just about every major market. 120m

In the UK for example it opened to just about 500k more than Dumbo.

No doubt they were banking on Will Smith helping them make more. This is actually pretty surprising considering he's still a marketing able star out internationally

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I listened to The Ringer's The Big Picture podcast review of Aladdin and determined that movie is absolutely not for me.

Going to see Booksmart today, though!

Wow, that's really bad. Reviews certainly hurt the film.
If the shoe fits...

Edit: actually, no, it ain't even the reviews. People have eyeballs. Everyone was saying it looks terrible for months. Hype was pretty low.

Even before reviews we had threads blasting clips.

It really looked terrible to me in the trailer I saw. But, seeing it getting good reviews and people here saying it's good, I'm intrigued. My wife is always up for lighter stuff, especially after watching a man slowly take a knife into his eyeball on Friday. Maybe we'll have to check it out.
Trailers are so hard to read when it comes to how they market comedies.

I find most highly-reviewed comedies seem to come out of nowhere for this reason.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
No doubt they were banking on Will Smith helping them make more. This is actually pretty surprising considering he's still a marketing able star out internationally

Wow, that's really bad. Reviews certainly hurt the film.

I think the thing to keep in mind with these remakes and reboots of nostalgic films is that while the international market has exploded in the last decade that also means that films made previous to that period don't have the same nostalgia for international audiences.

We should adjust considerations to fit that idea and look at the original's gross percentage domestically and internationally. For instance, the original Aladdin's gross was 56.9% international. The current movie's international percentage? 58.4%.

To give another example - Jurassic Park pulled 60.9% of its original gross from international audiences while Jurassic World's international percentage was 61%.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having watched the trailer, same.
I think BronsonLee was joking but I'd love to hear why you are serious.

Trailer was meh but the reviews speak for themselves. You can't always go by what the marketing people put together, they have to market to the lowest common denominator.

Edit: I'll say this, the reviews are a lot better than Game Night, which I thought was rote as fuck and not particularly good.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Aladdin actually did better internationally in a lot of areas than what was expected. China was expected to make around $10 million because Disney had no faith and dropped a lot of marketing. However, it doubled that amount and WOM is incredibly positive (9 on Maoyan which rivals stuff like Infinity War).

In fact, Aladdin has had amazing WOM throughout the world which will certainly help with legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.