• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What stage of grief are you in about Endgame not beating Avatar for #1 worldwide?

• Denial

Votes: 32 19.5%
  • Anger

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Bargaining

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Depression

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 109 66.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Wasn't a compliment oh ye of little taste
The intent doesn't matter, I chose to take it as a compliment :P

I live in one of the few places on earth where Blade Runner 2049 performed well so our good taste is a scientific fact.

Unless you look up the numbers for any film starring Christian Clavier. Which might contradict this somewhat. But we shall overcome that weakness one day.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What's with this evangelizing for Aladdin. Poor little Disney will be alright with its 100M opening weekend.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
I said this in the last thread, but Booksmart's biggest problem is that its target audience (women over 18) is also the audience that Aladdin is doing best with. Annapurna picked the wrong weekend to release it.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said this in the last thread, but Booksmart's biggest problem is that its target audience (women over 18) is also the audience that Aladdin is doing best with. Annapurna picked the wrong weekend to release it.
As a male of 34 I'm doing my part to help Booksmart today and I'm 100% skipping Aladdin

Someone recommend me a really good Bollywood film instead.

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
Aladdin actually did better internationally in a lot of areas than what was expected. China was expected to make around $10 million because Disney had no faith and dropped a lot of marketing. However, it doubled that amount and WOM is incredibly positive (9 on Maoyan which rivals stuff like Infinity War).

In fact, Aladdin has had amazing WOM throughout the world which will certainly help with legs.

Like this right here, this doesn't scream out Disney bot to anyone else ? Lol

The whole post actually.

Dude it made 3.5m in France, that's freaking awful lol

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Saw Aladdin with my Disney-centric girlfriend yesterday.

We both felt that the best parts of the film were Will Smith and all the non-human characters. Dude playing Aladdin was wooden. Dude playing Jafar was mis-cast. Naomi Scott was fine, but was working with iffy material. The new songs were unnecessary.

It's much better than I imagine Guy Ritchie's last film was, at least.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just quick calculations trying to figure out how much Endgame will need do domestically in order to take Avatar WW ( 2,787,965,087).

Assuming Domestic/WW split:

29/71: 808,509,875
29.5/70.5: 822,449,700
30/70: 836,389,526
30.5/69.5: 850,329,351
31/69: 864,269,176

I assume Endgame will finish with something closer to 30/70 split, which mean it will need to do extra ~40mil domestically in order to take on Avatar all-time WW record.
It's wild to think "woah, it's so close!"

But also think "$40 million is still a shitload of money"

Because we're in a scale of billions

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna catch Booksmart in half an hour

Watch that instead of Aladdin god damn it
I know, right? Like, I feed the Mouse plenty as it is and I know I'm seeing at least Toy Story 4 and SW9 later.

Go watch Aladdin if you really want to but don't go out of some weird obligation. Don't go because it's the only big-budget release of the week.

Go support the little people, man.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The intent doesn't matter, I chose to take it as a compliment :P

I live in one of the few places on earth where Blade Runner 2049 performed well so our good taste is a scientific fact.

Unless you look up the numbers for any film starring Christian Clavier. Which might contradict this somewhat. But we shall overcome that weakness one day.
Man I really tried to like that but I just don't think heady science fiction is a thing for me. Give me pew pew or keep it earth based. Guess I like Star Trek if that counts

Anywho any reason for dumbo increasing so much this week?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
If you guys don't catch Booksmart and Godzilla don't start complaining about how all we are Marvel/Disney flicks

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
when is Booksmart supposed to be on netflix internationally? or is it just very select countries?

because its not in Portugal.

Also, you should have dropped the "this week" from "No, End Game will not pass Avatar" :3

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But, the first Godzilla fucking sucked outside of the five minutes of actual Godzilla action which was so dark you could only see half of it any way. That part where he spit hot fire into the other monsters throat twas pretty sweet, though.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Like this right here, this doesn't scream out Disney bot to anyone else ? Lol

The whole post actually.

Dude it made 3.5m in France, that's freaking awful lol

You highlighted the positive WoM ignoring the verifiable evidence he posted in addition to prior posts where it has a CinemaScore of A. That's not a Disney bot.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you guys don't catch Booksmart and Godzilla don't start complaining about how all we are Marvel/Disney flicks
Why would I catch a sequel to a movie I hated and looks like the cinematic equivalent of a blue/orange poster

615f91380b27a44d00a24e11941a0dd1.jpg

I'll probably give Booksmart a watch tho.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
>WB gets their shit back together and starts making solid blockbusters like Shazam and Godzilla
>no one watches them
idea_SIZED-Lauren-C-3888834634_a5635cf162_o.jpg

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
As a huge MCU stan, I also find the hyperbolic hate towards Avatar to be hilarious, so I'm ok with this too. Gonna be another 10 years of low effort "blue pocahontas lol people only saw it 5 times cuz of 3D lol lol" posts.

Gozilla better defy tracking next weekend.

Also lol @ John Wick doing better than Pikachu. I guess Keanu Reeves is the biggest entertainment brand in the world now.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from seeing Booksmart.

Yes, it's a fantastic coming of age movie. Happy now?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Endgame doesn't get a big finish-line push from Disney/Marvel I will be pretty surprised. It makes no sense to let it go this far and then die only slightly short of Avatar.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
>WB gets their shit back together and starts making solid blockbusters like Shazam and Godzilla
>no one watches them
idea_SIZED-Lauren-C-3888834634_a5635cf162_o.jpg
But they've got God Emperor James Wan on their side.
And the power of Dwayne Johnson shall save Shazam. Eventually. Maybe.
As for Godzilla... Well, worst case scenario, we got a trilogy. Let's count our blessings.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying those are bad movies, just that Godzilla has the exact same blue/orange scheme as those posters. :P
I know just joking around. Honestly though I can't blame people for seeing movies they don't like. There's too much stuff I'm indifferent too nowadays and ticket prices are way too expensive.

That probably explains why I no longer go to the theaters except about twice a year outside of stuff that really interests me.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So did Aladdin do worse than expected in a lot of countries?

Kind of surprised as (purely anecdotal) my showing in England was pretty full Saturday, whilst I really enjoyed it the wife loved it, she wants to go back with the kids tomorrow, public holiday here.

Seen endgame, Pikachu and this the last few weeks and all were super fun popcorn movies; really surprised that Pikachu hasn't been a runaway success

Toy Story 4 and Godzilla for us next, so much we've wanted to see recently

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Theres a certain prominent member of box office ERA that hasnt checked in yet. I wonder why....

Status
Not open for further replies.