• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What stage of grief are you in about Endgame not beating Avatar for #1 worldwide?

• Denial

Votes: 32 19.5%
  • Anger

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Bargaining

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Depression

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 109 66.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Endgame is so close...

Hot take: that part of the film was bad as well. The only good part was the original trailer.

Though taking into account my opinion doesn't represent the general audiences, prsonally I have to wonder if Kong Skull Island and Pacific Rim Uprising are gonna have a negative effect on Godzilla 2. Cus in the last five or six years that's 3 bad Kaiju films In a row, in a genre that was never that successful with mainstream audiences
Kong Skull Island was both well received and solidly successful. I'm not sure where you got the idea that it's on the same level as Uprising.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I feel like I have to apologize to the internet for actually kinda liking Godzilla '14.

I won't apologize for liking Kong: Skull Island though. Movie is cool as heck outside of the dumb FPS shots that the director wanted to use because "video games are cool" or whatever.

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
Sounds like people are enjoying Aladdin. I'll watch Godzilla and The Wild Pear Tree next week, will get to Booksmart whenever it gets released over here.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I have to apologize to the internet for actually kinda liking Godzilla '14.

I won't apologize for liking Kong: Skull Island though. Movie is cool as heck outside of the dumb FPS shots that the director wanted to use because "video games are cool" or whatever.
Don't apologize. I liked Godzilla 2014 as well. A lot of people liked it. A lot of people didn't. It's ok. I also liked Kong: Skull Island. I feel like KoTM will be better than both.

Oct 25, 2017
I like some aspects of it namely the cinematography and tone and I don't necessarily hate it. It's just Gareth's choice to constantly cutaway with only the weak human characters left to hold it up was an awful decision and taints a lot of the film for me and makes it a lot less re-watchable. The 2nd act just drags between the Hawaii scene and the finale.

I just know if the new one gives me something on par with Pacific Rim, I'll be leaving satisfied.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Men In Black International going to flop?

The trailer does not look so hot, and I sense pretty much no enthusiasm for it.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason the studio just seems to have given up on Booksmart? Dumping it in the middle of a busy blockbuster season, and selling off foreign rights to Netflix....

Seems like the kinda movie that could have pulled in a decent audience in Aug/Sep or early spring.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Endgame is so close...
tenor.gif

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

You don't have to apoligise for liking Godzilla 2014. People are allowed to like what they like and there's certainly plenty in there I can see appealing to people. It was just my personal preferences that it didn't match and seemingly the appeal didn't reach as wide an audience as they likely hoped. Indeed I'll admit there were a few moments I thought were cool.

Kong: Skull Island though, that one you should feel bad about liking.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I predict:
3-day 83M, 4-day 103 DOM OW.
As far as OS, I really have no idea since i'm not sure how fondly the animated original is remember but i'll guess:
170M for a total of 253 WW OW.

Seems like my Aladdin predictions were actually pretty spot for the domestic. WW was a bit optimistic but a very well good opening.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France

Linkage76

Oct 27, 2017
352m ww for Pikachu is so sad. They should have released it at a better time, and cut some corners in production. There were some scenes in the movie where I thought they could have saved money. 120m budget would have been better for a first movie.

Hopefully Legendary learns from this and we get a better sequel.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's a ton of bad material in Godzilla '14, but the material outside of the monsters is so damn dry that anything that isn't action drags. I'm all for slow burns too, but god damn Edwards took it way too far. That last half hour is glorious though.

Booksmart was phenomenal btw. The best comedy I've seen in a good long while. Excellent from Olivia, the leads, and the rest of the team.

Last edited:

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the thing to keep in mind with these remakes and reboots of nostalgic films is that while the international market has exploded in the last decade that also means that films made previous to that period don't have the same nostalgia for international audiences.

We should adjust considerations to fit that idea and look at the original's gross percentage domestically and internationally. For instance, the original Aladdin's gross was 56.9% international. The current movie's international percentage? 58.4%.

To give another example - Jurassic Park pulled 60.9% of its original gross from international audiences while Jurassic World's international percentage was 61%.
I'm still expecting lion king to do huge numbers overseas, even with your rationale here. Aladin was just not appealing to a lot of ppl.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of cringing going on in here at people vouching for Aladdin is weird as fuck.

Reviews weren't really kind to it, but people are seeing it and enjoying it. Sharing that isn't "evangelizing Disney" you dorks.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Is there a reason the studio just seems to have given up on Booksmart? Dumping it in the middle of a busy blockbuster season, and selling off foreign rights to Netflix....

Seems like the kinda movie that could have pulled in a decent audience in Aug/Sep or early spring.
Annapurna gonna Annapurna ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Tons of comedies release on a busy blockbuster season and do gangbusters. The hangover films, bridesmaids, wedding crashers, superbad, etc. Those are just the ones that came to mind. That's not an excuse. There are usually one or two breakout comedies every year that release during the summer. Booksmart ain't it.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Bryan Cranston's character was the best human character in Godzilla 2014 and he's dead 30 minutes in. Then we get a full hour of boring trash until our God-Emperor Gareth Edwards finally decides we are worthy enough to see Godzilla in a Godzilla movie. Bleugh.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tons of comedies release on a busy blockbuster season and do gangbusters. The hangover films, bridesmaids, wedding crashers, superbad, etc. Those are just the ones that came to mind. That's not an excuse. There are usually one or two breakout comedies every year that release during the summer. Booksmart ain't it.
Booksmart deserved it though, it is far far far far better of a film than Superbad. God damn Annapurna.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Brightburn had a $6 M budget? Hope that means that the movie will be profitable because I want a sequel, it was too short

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
There is still a very, very slim chance Endgame overtakes Avatar. If it stays flat with Infinity War from here on out it will beat Avatar by about $2m.

IF.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
You won't make me watch Booksmart you dorks.
It doesn't even have a release date here

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

It takes place during the end of the school year, aka now. Makes sense to release it at the same time.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Though I wouldn't say it's as great as people let on, I'd be willing to rewatch Booksmart with some more pals than Endgame.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully when the next avengers opens to a massive number we will have enough data to figure out some sort of realistic multiplier for a movie that opens as large as endgame.

There is no reason to apologize for liking Godzilla 14. The last thirty minutes were exactly what we wanted and that kiss of death was magnificent.

Status
Not open for further replies.