• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What stage of grief are you in about Endgame not beating Avatar for #1 worldwide?

• Denial

Votes: 32 19.5%
  • Anger

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Bargaining

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Depression

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 109 66.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

Poor Endgame

giphy.gif

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Booksmart deserved it though, it is far far far far better of a film than Superbad. God damn Annapurna.
How does it compare to eighth grade? I could relate to that film way more than I thought I could as a middle aged man. That film deserved better at the box office too, but it's budget was probably a fraction of Booksmart

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Lookin forward to see this soon:
"Endgame fails to pass Avatar"
Ah, victory.
MCU fans shit on everything that isn't MCU, they don't deserve the crown.

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
With that soft opening internationally I wonder if Aladdin will reach much above 500M

Yeah , should. Even Dumbo will have like close to 250m international when all is said and done .

I'd imagine around 250m domestic and 330 international. So like 580...very tame considering it's Aladdin but respectable I guess .

It'll come in at #5 in Disney live actions but then will be booted out real quick once Lion King comes out

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw Booksmart. It's excellent.

Skip Aladdin and see this. You can watch Aladdin next weekend, Booksmart needs the support at #6 and it's far more deserving of your time and money. Gotta support movies like this, they're really important for young people.

One of the things I really appreciate about Booksmart is that it is clearly influenced by Superbad but drops all the problematic bullshit in that movie and leans into progressive themes from a female perspective without losing any of the teeth

Oh, also, Dan the Automator's score is *chef kiss*

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is still a very, very slim chance Endgame overtakes Avatar. If it stays flat with Infinity War from here on out it will beat Avatar by about $2m.

IF.
If it's that close I think Endgame will definitely get some kind of push from Disney/Marvel......a double feature with Infinity War, or some kind of re-expansion to help build hype for Spider-Man Far From Home.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tons of comedies release on a busy blockbuster season and do gangbusters. The hangover films, bridesmaids, wedding crashers, superbad, etc. Those are just the ones that came to mind. That's not an excuse. There are usually one or two breakout comedies every year that release during the summer. Booksmart ain't it.
It seems like those types of movies are increasingly less common, and generally more star-driven. Booksmart's actresses are not really a draw, and the film doesn't really have a big studio behind it.

While it's maybe questionable whether or not Booksmart would have performed well at any time of the year, trying to launch it against a Memorial Day onslaught of studio films was foolhardy and ill-advised.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
How does it compare to eighth grade? I could relate to that film way more than I thought I could as a middle aged man. That film deserved better at the box office too, but it's budget was probably a fraction of Booksmart
Booksmart is about the awkward and reckless contempt of leaving a high school full of people you've never actually met, told from the perspective of two girls who never stop talking to each other. It's much more bombastic.
Eight Grade is more contemplative and isolating and is about a girl who has literally nobody to talk to and a phone.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Don't go see Aladdin, go see Booksmart instead. You can just watch the animated version of Aladdin to get the same story told much better.

It isn't domestically. It was sold overseas to Netflix.
Not everywhere. I think it's on Netflix in France, but it's releasing this week in the UK in cinemas and here in The Netherlands it's coming out next month.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It really looked terrible to me in the trailer I saw. But, seeing it getting good reviews and people here saying it's good, I'm intrigued. My wife is always up for lighter stuff, especially after watching a man slowly take a knife into his eyeball on Friday. Maybe we'll have to check it out.
IMO it's one of the best comedies in years. Loved every second of it and it will take a lot for this to not end up in my top 5 of the year list.

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe I've been on the wrong threads, but where is this happening?
Yeah I really don't know what he means, unless he's talking about Twitter or something
Into The Spider-Verse beat IW out on the ResetEra Movie Awards last year for example

just take fanboy comments like that from Cameron worshippers with a grain a salt

the irony of course is that their guy has literally publicly shitted on marvel movies multiple times

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Booksmart wasn't playing at the theater near me. So don't get mad at me. Blame Society.

Aladdin was alright. Wasn't as bad as people were making it out to be, but I had some issues with it. The direction they took with Genie and Jasmine was interesting. I thought the only song that hit comparable levels of the animated movie was A Whole New World (although visually I wish they did more with the scene) Although the other songs were serviceable. Not bad but not versions I'll listen to again and again.

Jafar acting/direction was the weak link. Also the line at the end that tied back to the beginning of the movie made my entire theater audibly cringe (which is weird considering the other changes the movie added that they'd force that line in).

Overall, alright. No regrets seeing it.

I'll see Godzilla next week. Didn't see 2014 or Kong but I'll see this. Providing the focus is on the monsters and not human plots.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
when is Booksmart supposed to be on netflix internationally? or is it just very select countries?

because its not in Portugal.
Very select countries. I know France definitely has it, Canada maybe, but it seems that in most EU countries it'll come out in the cinema. It's coming out in The Netherlands in a month.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
It seems we are back into the "Avatar's highest grossing film of all time record is safe" mode again. Today Box Office Mojo updated The Avengers: Endgame's estimated numbers for both the domestic and foreign numbers. We won't have the actuals to either before this Tuesday, I believe, but currently the estimates have Endgame at estimated $1,879,300,000 overseas and $798,172,736 domestic. I think it's far from the hour to throw the towel just yet.

Total Lifetime Grosses:

Domestic: $798,172,736 29.8% (Weekend Estimate)
Foreign: $1,879,300,000 70.2% (Weekend Estimate)

Daily countdown:

The Avengers: Endgame box office cume is estimated at $2,677,472,736.

This means that it needs estimated $110.492.351 to top Avatar.

Source: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=marvel2019.htm

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It seems we are back into the "Avatar's highest grossing film of all time record is safe" mode again. Today Box Office Mojo updated The Avengers: Endgame's estimated numbers for both the domestic and foreign numbers. We won't have the actuals to either before this Tuesday, I believe, but currently the estimates have Endgame at estimated $1,879,300,000 overseas and $798,172,736 domestic. I think it's far from the hour to throw the towel just yet.

Total Lifetime Grosses:

Daily countdown:

Last week it needed 170 mill to surpass it, right?

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weekdays are significantly more busy outside of the US. I'd say that a $16 million overseas weekend is good enough predictor of Endgame passing Avatar.

Not like in matters a lot. .BoxOffice is an inaccurate way of measuring factual interest in a product (unlike videogames, tv and music in their per unit basis). I would say even disingenuous.

Last edited:

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Booksmart is about the awkward and reckless contempt of leaving a high school full of people you've never actually met, told from the perspective of two girls who never stop talking to each other. It's much more bombastic.
Eight Grade is more contemplative and isolating and is about a girl who has literally nobody to talk to and a phone.
Based on just these descriptions, eighth grade sounds like a much better film

I'll likely check out Booksmart for free when it releases on Netflix

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lookin forward to see this soon:
"Endgame fails to pass Avatar"
Ah, victory.
MCU fans shit on everything that isn't MCU, they don't deserve the crown.
This is the second time in this very thread you posted something like this. The first time no one responded to you. You're just a troll now, repeating the same dumb fuck message.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Bryan Cranston's character was the best human character in Godzilla 2014 and he's dead 30 minutes in. Then we get a full hour of boring trash until our God-Emperor Gareth Edwards finally decides we are worthy enough to see Godzilla in a Godzilla movie. Bleugh.

Yeeeep fuck that movie. Imagine " the last 30 minutes were good!" being a defense of anything. Can't wait for KOTM in Dolby this weekend

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Why the fuck do you know down to the exact dollar amount

Bryan Cranston's character was the best human character in Godzilla 2014 and he's dead 30 minutes in. Then we get a full hour of boring trash until our God-Emperor Gareth Edwards finally decides we are worthy enough to see Godzilla in a Godzilla movie. Bleugh.

He really maximized his screentime for what it's worth

They really should've let him live but instead we had to follow his punk son

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Based on just these descriptions, eighth grade sounds like a much better film
Saying one is strictly better than the other is a very apples to oranges comparison. Eighth Grade elicits a much different emotional reaction than Booksmart, which finds an alternate route to build pathos for the main and supporting cast. In fact if you laugh as hard or harder at Eighth Grade as I did at Booksmart, I'd worry about you. They're pretty different and good in their own ways.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
This is the second time in this very thread you posted something like this. The first time no one responded to you. You're just a troll now, repeating the same dumb fuck message.
I really don't need your permission or something to post.
Plus people were discussing Avatar vs EG that moment. I didn't comment this out of nowhere.
And i'm not wrong, everywhere i go i see things like "We take the crown from that smurf shit movie" or things like this, it's really annoying (Even in this thread we had multiple posts like these).

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Total Lifetime Grosses:

Daily countdown:

Even with Spider-Man helping EGs tailend the unforeseen event of China cutting endgame early (thanks trade war) puts it in serious jeopardy given how tight the margins will be.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't need your permission or something to post.
Plus people were discussing Avatar vs EG that moment. I didn't comment this out of nowhere.
And i'm not wrong, everywhere i go i see things like "We take the crown from that smurf shit movie" or things like this, it's really annoying (Even in this thread we had multiple posts like these).
Shitting on Avatar is a pretty common thing on the internet, so I don't know why you're picking on MCU fans.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly thought Booksmart was a Netflix release worldwide :p
I will see it today! On Netflix, as it didn't released anywhere here

My Neighbor Totoro

Alt-Account
Apr 7, 2019
I shoudn't have skipped Aladdin. I canceled my Dolby Cinema seat on opening night because of its mediocre critic reviews, though I heard it's fun to audiences.

I used up my 3 A-List reservations for this week...

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still expecting lion king to do huge numbers overseas, even with your rationale here. Aladin was just not appealing to a lot of ppl.

I do too, but in line with what we are seeing which would net 1.6-1.7 billion global.

To reiterate - Jurassic Park and lion king released a single year apart, made almost the exact same amount of money both domestically and internationally, and both have huge nostalgia bonuses. Thus, my expectations are for lion king to do Jurassic world numbers with some wiggle room in either direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.