• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What stage of grief are you in about Endgame not beating Avatar for #1 worldwide?

• Denial

Votes: 32 19.5%
  • Anger

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Bargaining

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Depression

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 109 66.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't they just add a new post-credits scene to Endgame to get it over the hump?
From what I hear, they just added a hastily edited together clip from the next Spider-Man that you kindasorta already saw in the trailer.

EDIT: Also officially online now (spoilers for Endgame)

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't they just add a new post-credits scene to Endgame to get it over the hump?
You overestimate how much anyone cares about that. Hardcore diehard MCU fans are only a tiny sliver of the overall picture. They aren't enough to move the needle with a new scene.

Also why would Disney waste money to beat Avatar when they own Avatar and it's major part of Disney's lineup for the next decade? They won't mind if Endgame beats it but they have zero motivation to spend money in a vain attempt to beat a brand important to their company.

Endgame has to do it on its own if it is to do it.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Tron sucks. A lot. I hear the ride at Shanghai is good though.
MxqiVUQ.gif

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
If it was Sony that no.1 ww record is toasted.
They could buy the tickets themselves 10 50 millions of it.
Or take some of the money from Dumbo Aladdin even TS4 give all the EG.
See easy.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Hey the the first Bayformer is not bad at all. It has all the spectacles DP lacks.
If spectacle is all you need then you arguably don't need a good movie. Far better movies from established IPs have made less than DP and Transformers. Maybe you gotta strike a balance of being just satisfying enough on both sides of quality and spectacle to truly make it, but honestly the rules of box office success gets tricky year after year.

Last edited:

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Does Far From Home have a chance of making more than $1billion now with how much relevant Spidey has become again now in the MCU/ Tom Holland's rise in fame?

Or will it fall short due to other releases that month ( lion king )

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Just came out of an Aladdin showing.
About 60 percent full, people loved it tho.
They literally clapped at the end.

I personally don't remember ever watching Aladdin as a kid, so the story was new to me.

I think it'll have good legs.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean DP even lacks the spectacle the GA usually love, not that a good movie needs to have that.

I repeat DP is not a good movie.
I would say it's good enough to make people believe in the concept. Maybe not fully invest but keep a look out for the future. It's not blow my mind good like Aquaman where spectacle was clearly hiding a weak script.

Edit: "Good" is also super subjective in this context. You saying DP isn't good has little bearing on box office performance.

Last edited:

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Does Far From Home have a chance of making more than $1billion now with how much relevant Spidey has become again now in the MCU/ Tom Holland's rise in fame?

Or will it fall short due to other releases that month ( lion king )

My own personal opinion is that I think it does 1 billion easy. I think it goes all the way to 1.2-1.3 billion actually. Besides Spiderman being so popular and Homecoming regaining the peoples trust in the series again, It's selling itself as a epilogue to End Game and will probably be the only one we get for a very long while. People aren't sick of the MCU yet and want to find out what's next and FFH will help fill in some blanks.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You overestimate how much anyone cares about that. Hardcore diehard MCU fans are only a tiny sliver of the overall picture. They aren't enough to move the needle with a new scene.

Also why would Disney waste money to beat Avatar when they own Avatar and it's major part of Disney's lineup for the next decade? They won't mind if Endgame beats it but they have zero motivation to spend money in a vain attempt to beat a brand important to their company.

The only thing I could see is a FFH timeframe bump in theater count to capitalize on the BP/CM effect that happened when those movies got a secondary boost. I think that could be the time it gets pushed over especially if they throw just a little marketing towards "before you see the aftermath see the movie event of a generation"

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how pivotal scenes from Brightburn got leaked on Youtube and the studio is doing nothing about it. The ending is still up.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

The film is a contender to become the highest grossing film of all time, after having a $2B film one year before. I always get a chuckle when I read people saying that people don't care about these characters and films after the absurdity that these films are making. Of course that people far beyond "fanatics" care. And Disney would do it to make money. The #1 title adds to the hype, and Avatar would obviously take it back once it's re-released some years from now.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Booksmart is great but it's definitely one of those movies you wait to catch on streaming vs running out to the theater to see. The cast and soundtrack were stellar but I actually found blockers more original and funny tbh.

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why the hell WB thought that releasing DP after two weeks of Endgame was a good idea?

The same person who choose to sandwich Shazam between CM and Endgame is also blamed for Shazam's weak performance.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell WB thought that releasing DP after two weeks of Endgame was a good idea?

The same person who choose to sandwich Shazam between CM and Endgame is also blamed for Shazam's weak performance.
I don't think Detective Pikachu was ever going to do that well, Endgame or not.

It's strangely funny though that Pikachu has been ranked below Endgame in every weekend box office, despite the fact that Endgame is 2 weeks older and should be fading much more quickly. It just barely keeps beating out Pikachu, too....

Oct 25, 2017

It was an open week.

Long Shot's release is more baffling.

But how much of a difference do you honestly think it would've made. Two weeks before Aladin, two weeks after Endgame. The spot was fine.

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Shazam was a good Jan. movie, there were no competion (except for Aquaman)

And DP was a good Valentine movie for families (spongbob 2 did well during Valentine) and fans

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Shazam would have done pretty much the same numbers any time of the year. It's just a different kind of superhero movie that doesn't appeal to as broad an audience as Marvel stuff. It's mostly comedic, kid-focused, without a lot of huge stakes or world-destroying disasters. I loved it, and it kinda bothers me that it gets treated like a flop.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You mean Far From Home right? Sadly it's Sony that distributed that film so I'm not sure if it can help Endgame.
The trailer makes the endgame tie in so prevalent I think it will override whatever studio logo is shown. I would think Disney would do whatever is best to benefit both and I still believe that having the crown be from a movie they made means something to them

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

About the only negative effect Endgame had on Pikachu was there weren't more people coming to the theater and saying "Fuck it, I will see something that isn't as crowded."

Pikachu made less than some non sequel/non IP films did on OW and those went against films that did more money than Endgame did at the same time.

tMAERHS.jpg

An original film pulling in $90m against the then record for second weekend. Which was also several million more than Endgame did against Pikachu.

And no, 2015 box office was not that different from today's.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Aladdin out of obligation...

...to my children, who wanted to see it.

Unpopular opinion time-- it's really great. I mean, not as good as the original (one of my favorite Disney movies) but a worthy remake with at least one great new song. I can see the appeal of this much more than other remakes given the tremendous spectacle in live action. Will Smith is a really good genie, the leads have great chemistry. There's solid entertainment here throughout. Jafar is a little bland, and Iago isn't as good, but at least Jafar's not a racist stereotype anymore.

I am totally surprised to have this opinion. I went in expecting to have to suffer through it as happens with some kids' movies, but I was grinning and humming along.

They need to fire whoever cut the trailers though, sheesh.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
About the only negative effect Endgame had on Pikachu was there weren't more people coming to the theater and saying "Fuck it, I will see something that isn't as crowded."

Pikachu made less than some non sequel/non IP films did on OW and those went against films that did more money than Endgame did at the same time.

tMAERHS.jpg

An original film pulling in $90m against the then record for second weekend. Which was also several million more than Endgame did against Pikachu.

And no, 2015 box office was not that different from today's.

Inside Out did benefit from the Pixar brand, and being a great movie. DP... is not a great movie.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Go see Booksmart guys. It's really great. You know you've already seen Endgame multiple times, myself included.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Inside Out did benefit from the Pixar brand, and being a great movie. DP... is not a great movie.
World War Z went up against the second weekend of Man of Steel and the opening weekend of Pixar's Monster's University and made more, and in 595 fewer theaters to boot.
vS2OYz7.jpg

There are others that opened higher, but all fell on holiday weekends. Hell, not even Frozen opened up to #1.

5Drki9R.jpg

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize that Inside Out had a 90M opening weekend. That is pretty insane, considering it was a brand new IP and the premise of "See the emotions inside a little girl's head" isn't exactly the sort of thing that excites the general public.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I'm not trying to assert Box Office truisms. Just saying that DP wasn't good and that didn't help.
I know. Just driving a point home and yours was easier to quote. Didn't mean to make it seem like I was beating on you. Apologies.

I didn't realize that Inside Out had a 90M opening weekend. That is pretty insane, considering it was a brand new IP and the premise of "See the emotions inside a little girl's head" isn't exactly the sort of thing that excites the general public.
And it opened on second weekend of Jurassic World, which had set the new record for OW the week before and then record second weekend.

Fun fact: Inside Out was almost the highest grossing film to never hit #1 at the box office. But it finally got to first place in week 3 against some fun competition.
8uFElgJ.jpg

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to assert Box Office truisms. Just saying that DP wasn't good and that didn't help.
I don't think the quality of Detective Pikachu had anything to do with its opening weekend numbers, since people were mostly just attending on the strength of its marketing/brand. The trailers were actually pretty good, and promised a much better, funnier movie than they actually delivered.

There just isn't that much interest in a live-action pokemon adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.