• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What stage of grief are you in about Endgame not beating Avatar for #1 worldwide?

• Denial

Votes: 32 19.5%
  • Anger

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Bargaining

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Depression

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 109 66.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Yeah, Pikachu is doing fine in the end. It is having decent holds and will probably scrape by profitability in theaters. Only reason I and others are giving it shit is for how much people were hyping it up to be this monster at the box office on here.

Shit, I assumed it would be this juggernaut too based on those trailer views, but reality set in really fucking fast when those Thursday preview numbers hit.

Don't worry, you all can point at me and mock me when Dune opens next year.
Please don't bomb. Please don't bomb. Please don't bomb.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a matter of taste, but I thought the DP trailers were bad (thought he first at least had some novelty). I'm with the critics on this one, since I think the audience would have been self-selecting.

Not really arguing that either is germane to BO performance though.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of 5k+ people the consensus is pretty positive
(Just on RT) it seems like the audience likes it, not so much the critics though.
Now that RottenTomatoes has begun to prioritize Verified Reviews, I suspect the numbers they report will be relatively inflated in the same way that Cinemascore is. The people whose opinions count most will be those that were predisposed to liking the movie (fans that pre-ordered tickets for opening weekend).

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Hostility towards another member.
Edit: never mind. I'm not falling for bait from a troll account.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: Inside Out was almost the highest grossing film to never hit #1 at the box office. But it finally got to first place in week 3 against some fun competition.
Booooo.

You really can't drop a factoid like that without actually telling us what movie IS the highest-grossing film to never hold the #1 domestic slot.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Since we're talking about other movies right now, can anyone tell me why the Alice in Wonderland sequel bombed so hard? How did it go from one of the highest grossing of all time when it was released to falling short of 300 million? It's crazy how the audience abandoned that franchise immediately. The general audience took forever to do that to the Transformers franchise for example. Even then, it still did OK in the end.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Correct

I love the weird records like that.

Since we're talking about other movies right now, can anyone tell me why the Alice in Wonderland sequel bombed so hard? How did it go from one of the highest grossing of all time when it was released to falling short of 300 million? It's crazy how the audience abandoned that franchise immediately. The general audience took forever to do that to the Transformers franchise for example.

First one was first major 3D release in Avatar's wake, and was part of the reason Avatar slowed down in theaters since Alice took so many screens. It rode the wave. The second one did not have anything going for it.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
About the only negative effect Endgame had on Pikachu was there weren't more people coming to the theater and saying "Fuck it, I will see something that isn't as crowded."

Pikachu made less than some non sequel/non IP films did on OW and those went against films that did more money than Endgame did at the same time.

tMAERHS.jpg

An original film pulling in $90m against the then record for second weekend. Which was also several million more than Endgame did against Pikachu.

And no, 2015 box office was not that different from today's.

There are other factors at play here and I don't think it's a 1:1 comparison. Pixar is a brand known to produce amazing movies and this was the latest movie from that brand getting rave reviews. It's far more insulated from being overshadowed by other brands.

Also JW like most other big blockbusters simply doesn't compare endgame. It's not just the amount endgame made the week of DP's release , it was the weeks of build up and hype which drowned everything else out. Pikachu was basically forgotten amongst the hype.

Obviously the big factor though is that DP simply needed to be better and review better. If it reviewed as highly as something like inside out it might have been able to breakthrough endgames hype train.

Just for the record I don't think it would have changed the situation much at all but i do think it played a small role.

MathLx

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: never mind. I'm not falling for bait from a troll account.

It's the trope of gay guy= into arts, drama and so on. I like that they show different sexual identity but always having flamboyant gay characters (male) in every movie gets tiring. We need some actual accurate representation.

Just my 2 cents.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Since we're talking about other movies right now, can anyone tell me why the Alice in Wonderland sequel bombed so hard? How did it go from one of the highest grossing of all time when it was released to falling short of 300 million? It's crazy how the audience abandoned that franchise immediately. The general audience took forever to do that to the Transformers franchise for example.
You know that narrative about Avatar being boosted up by 3D? Alice in Wonderland was boosted by both 3D and being the next big 3D movie after Avatar came out. By the time Alice 2 came out the shine had come off both the first movie and 3D overall.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
It's the trope of gay guy= into arts, drama and so on. I like that they show different sexual identity but always having flamboyant gay characters (male) in every movie gets tiring. We need some actual accurate representation.

Just my 2 cents.

I've accepted not all gays can be beacons of pure raw masculinity , scruff, and chest hair like me

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correct

I love the weird records like that.

Sing has Mamma Mia by $25M WW.

Is there a website that tracks the "Highest Grossing Films That Never Reached #1" record on a global basis? I am kinda curious to see what kind of weird outliers that ranking would produce.

Wolf Warrior 2 outgrossed Sing and Mamma Mia, but I'm not sure if it was ever the worldwide #1, given that BoxOfficeMojo tends to focus on domestic weekends.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Is there a website that tracks the "Highest Grossing Films That Never Reached #1" record on a global basis? I am kinda curious to see what kind of weird outliers that ranking would produce.

Wolf Warrior 2 outgrossed Sing and Mamma Mia, but I'm not sure if it was ever the worldwide #1, given that BoxOfficeMojo tends to focus on domestic weekends.
No idea about the "never #1 foreign" chart, but Wolf Warrior 2 is the third highest grossing film in one territory now that Endgame has surpassed it. Wolf Warrior 2 did $854m in China. That is nuts.

That is also reminding me of something I believe BiggestGeekEver said on here or on other media, but if Endgame does take the worldwide crown, it will do so without being the #1 of all time in any major territory. That would be a really interesting record to have.

Of course, now that other films have surpassed Avatar domestically, it now holds the record of top dog worldwide but not top dog in any major territory. But Force Awakens is what allowed Avatar to have that distinction. However, at the time Avatar set the worldwide record, it had also set the record for #1 domestic.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I think Shazam would have done pretty much the same numbers any time of the year. It's just a different kind of superhero movie that doesn't appeal to as broad an audience as Marvel stuff. It's mostly comedic, kid-focused, without a lot of huge stakes or world-destroying disasters. I loved it, and it kinda bothers me that it gets treated like a flop.
What was the last live-action superhero movie to make less than $500M WW?

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I've already accepted that Dune's run will probably be similar to Blade Runner 2049 :(
I just want Dune to be as good as the source material deserves. If Denis delivers the goods as a film, I would be happy.
But the ideal situation is it is successful enough he can do part 2 and finish the first book.
If we're narrowing it down to just Marvel and DC I think it was The Wolverine with $414M.
hP5AqAi.jpg

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Saw Aladdin tonight (instead of John Wick). Parts of me really wanted to like it but Will Smith's singing was so....bland. Both of the big numbers felt super one note and didn't feel bombastic in anyway. Not my favourite musical movie, but I didn't hate Will Smith as genie (aside from the singing) and everyone else was fine. Felt very meh about it.

Glad to see the monkey from Pirates of the Caribbean get some more work.

I do think the Disney Train may be better than the Lion King but I heard they're only doing like 4 songs in that movie

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we should make a thread about which is the WORST superhero film. Or a "Bottom 5" or something.

It would be fun to see the consensus.

(I can't make threads)

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No it isn't. This movie's fanboysim is beyond the charts. It's an okay teen ranch comedy.
I think you have to understand that Booksmart is not at all like other teen raunchy comedies when it comes to healthy portrayals of teenagers, progressive themes and core messaging. It's also made by women, largely made for women. That sets it apart in a major way.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I would put Fant4stic in contention for "worst superhero films" since it's barely a finished film. It's hanging by a thread, on the verge of totally breaking down. It's really something that shouldn't even have been released.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would devolve quickly into hot takes about Iron Man 3 being on par with Green Lantern while people willfully ignore stuff like Elektra.
You're right but maybe the convo can be steered in the OP with a list of considerations.

One way we could approach it is to have the eligible films required to be at or below a certain percentage on RT or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.