• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far Away

3NBpvpe.png

dpyXxg.gif

And Now:

TrAESMI.png

i2dA29k.png

SIiCAMJ.png

Wk3LPAw.png

ub1PNV4.png

Why Is 'Solo' Flying So Low At The B.O.? Memorial Day Opening Now At $101M+

Disney's Solo: A Star Wars Story is crashing unfortunately with early morning industry estimates showing a three-day around $83.3M and possible four-day hopefully just over $101M. Disney will file their figures soon and we'll update our report accordingly.

The Solo stateside B.O. experience is reminiscent of Justice League, another fan movie that many had high hopes for heading into its weekend, only to see the film collapse. In fact, Solo is coming in well under Justice League's $93.8M 3-day, and could match that pic's 4-day of $101.3M, even though the DC film wasn't technically a four-day opening bolstered by a holiday Monday. Overseas is a different story between the two pics as Justice League generated 65% of its global gross outside U.S./Canada, a ratio rivals aren't expecting on Solo.

On the plus side, Solo's projections have improved since this morning, and in exit polls, audiences don't loathe it in a Batman v. Superman kind of way, giving the Star Wars spinoff an 89% overall positive on ComScore/Screen Engine's PostTrak and an A- CinemaScore. That's the first A- for a Disney Star Wars title (which until now have all earned As), but right in line with the grades of Episodes I-III. While moviegoers are slow to arrive to Solo perhaps due to skepticism, hopefully those leaving the auditorium will preach the good word, and PostTrak shows a healthy 73% definite recommend.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

zOWspvR.png

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Avengers: Infinity War - $1.905B
Deadpool 2 - $487M

More worldwide numbers will be posted soon

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Once people get used to living without something, it gets harder to bring them back...but who knows? We are in uncharted waters now with the brand. Maybe people will be fully invested in SW again by the time 9 releases.

They have 18 months to get things right.

I feel like it's really, really hard to fix what they broke with TLJ though, especially now that Carrie Fisher has passed. The way they treated Luke and followed that up with killing him is something they can never take back.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Projecting over 100 million for the 4 day after an 83 million weekend looks awfully generous to me

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So basically with that overseas gross, it's unlikely those totals will surpass even Exodus: Gods and Kong's and the Tom Cruise Mummy movie from last year

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
The international number is so damn bad. At least it is more than double that of AWiT... total international take. That's not really a compliment now that I think of it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So the white male lead star wars is bombing, while the female lead ones are in the Billy club?

Makes you think

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

(copypasta from last thread):

We live in a world where a new Star Wars movie will:

- Make less than Ant Man 2. Ok fair enough, MCU is the biggest thing in the world.

- Make less than half of the last Star Wars Story film from 2016. Troubling, but that was coming off one of the biggest movies of all time, Star Wars hype was at an all time high and it had that sweet December release date vs one of the most packed Summers ever with Solo.

- Make a good deal less than Justice League, the (former) gold standard of fucking up a sure thing. The culmination of the absolute dumpster fire that was the DCU, the film that had to follow two complete pieces of shit in Man of Steel and Batman v Superman... will still make more than Solo. Were the last 3 Star Wars movies that bad? I didn't think so? Alas...

- Possibly not make back its budget, from all accounts that we know of. They fucked around and fired Lord and Miller, and had to reshoot damn near the entire movie all over again. That's expensive, kids. But they obviously did it for a reason.... BECAUSE IT'S STAR WARS, OF COURSE IT'LL MAKE ITS MONEY BACK. Well, you fucked up on that one. We are 4 films into this grand new Disney era of Star Wars, and after 3 home runs (I'm giving them Rogue One and TLJ, we need to look at this relative to Solo here), they've already hit their first major fuck up. This wasn't supposed to happen EVER, much less in 4 years with a movie telling the story of one of the most important characters in not only Star Wars, but in the history of cinema.

This is fucking crazy, friends. This will go down as one of the biggest blunders in box office history, no doubt. This surpasses Justice League for me on the disaster scale. I think they HAVE to rethink their approach to Star Wars movies here. We already have, what 10 Star Wars movies announced on the release slate? 2 tv shows? They need to slow the fuck down. This can NOT be a yearly thing at this point. Solo and Obi Wan NEED to be put on the back burner after a performance like this.

The crazy thing is... Solo wasn't a bad movie. So unlike Justice League, BvS and Man of Steel, which were bad movies and that was an easy thing to point at (AND Wonder Woman proved that just making a great DC film can be successful)... Solo was a good movie! So I'm not even sure if a Boba Fett movie that gets a 95% on RT and makes us all cry like Logan did would do much good for its box office take. This is a problem with Disney's approach to Star Wars, what they want their films to be (spinoff prequel stories) and the pace at which they are releasing them.

A new Star Wars in 2018 is a box office bomb. Crazy. CRAZY!

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I really don't understand how people are struggling with the idea that general audiences just weren't into the idea of a SOLO prequel/origin film. While Last Jedi may have soured audiences a little I don't feel like it's a big factor here.

Disney tried to apply the Marvel cineverse model to the Star Wars IP and it clearly isn't working. People don't want two or three Star Wars films a year. I think Disney should given serious thought to making Star Wars more like Bond, a franchise that only comes around once every two years or so.

And that Deadpool drop.., yikes.

MotionRed

Alt Account
Banned
May 17, 2018
Can't you feel a brand new day?

Chebooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

zomgbbqftw

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Very rarely follow box office results.

Disney deserve this result. A movie no one wanted released just a few months after a movie that shit up the franchise. Hopefully they go back to the drawing board with SW and take a longer view like they have with the MCU.

Nov 19, 2017
That overseas number is far worse than the domestic take. Barring a crazy run in Japan, I don't see how it does $200M internationally.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I never dreamed my 95 prediction would be way over. Wow. I am finally seeing it today and everyone I have talked to liked it. 5 month was not enough of a gap. Should have stuck with Christmas.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so it's gonna get buried but this seven week long shitposting session is still funny to me, so as always the only box office showdown that counts:
Indie films with horses and pale dudes:
Code:
    Lean on Pete     PTA      The Rider        PTA
------------------------------------------------------
OW  $46,975  (4)    $11,744   $42,244  (3)    $14,081
2W  $77,151  (18)   $4,286    $71,280  (9)    $7,920
3W  $176,241 (69)   $2,554    $175,279 (37)   $4,737
4W  $243,087 (167)  $1,456    $132,955 (47)   $2,829
5W  $130,183 (187)  $696      $221,439 (85)   $2,605
6W  $73,949  (129)  $573      $162,211 (90)   $1,802
7W  $17,701  (44)   $402      $184,578 (107)  $1,725
(number of theatres in parenthesis)

In all honesty though, this is a very good highlight of how A24 aren't all that great of a distributor. Their tendency to over expand films aren't doing them or their films any good. I hope they handle First Reformed better, that one has some great potential.

Oct 26, 2017
Can we finally agree that putting Solo in May after THREE YEARS of December releases was a really, really dumb idea?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so it's gonna get buried but this seven week long shitposting session is still funny to me, so as always the only box office showdown that counts:
Indie films with horses and pale dudes:
Code:
    Lean on Pete     PTA      The Rider        PTA
------------------------------------------------------
OW  $46,975  (4)    $11,744   $42,244  (3)    $14,081
2W  $77,151  (18)   $4,286    $71,280  (9)    $7,920
3W  $176,241 (69)   $2,554    $175,279 (37)   $4,737
4W  $243,087 (167)  $1,456    $132,955 (47)   $2,829
5W  $130,183 (187)  $696      $221,439 (85)   $2,605
6W  $73,949  (129)  $573      $162,211 (90)   $1,802
7W  $17,701  (44)   $402      $184,578 (107)  $1,725
(number of theatres in parenthesis)

In all honesty though, this is a very good highlight of how A24 aren't all that great of a distributor. Their tendency to over expand films aren't doing them or their films any good. I hope they handle First Reformed better, that one has some great potential.
All this is just static until Alpha redefines Kino as we know it

Status
Not open for further replies.