• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't another reason John Carter's marketing was whack was because Stanton was too up his own ass about it?

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't another reason John Carter's marketing was whack was because Stanton was too up his own ass about it?
I do believe he wanted to take control over portions of it, yes.

The posters for the film were TERRIBLE and made it look like some bargain bin VOD affair.

Michael Giacchino hasn't done a better score since John Carter. It was Star Wars meets Lawrence of Arabia. Dude knocked that shit out of the park.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The posters for the film were TERRIBLE and made it look like some bargain bin VOD affair.
I never realized how Disney Channel Original Movie-ish the marketing material was until I looked them up again just now.

John-Carter-2012.jpg

AepiVuk.jpg

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man what a beautiful day, I've been working a lot all week and finally have time to check into my box office home with all my favourite characters.

Let's see what everyone's up to today...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

UncommonAggressiveCats-max-1mb.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

What have you done?

What have you done?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Michael Giacchino hasn't done a better score since John Carter. It was Star Wars meets Lawrence of Arabia. Dude knocked that shit out of the park.
It's kinda funny. Two of Giacc's best works, Speed Racer and John Carter, are also two of the biggest bombs he (or anybody) has worked on.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what? Are you suggesting John Carter was profitable? Because it definitely wasn't.

What I meant to say but conveyed badly is it was originally projected to lose some thing like $200 million plus, but depending on the website it looks like it ended up around a $122 million loss... Horrible, but much closer to a Lone Ranger sized loss.

Last edited:

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever people bring up Ant Man I'm reminded that there were people in my IW showing that we're shocked that was the next Marvel movie.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Ant-Man is probably gonna gross $700m-$800m which is fuckin' insane for an Ant-Man movie. The Marvel brand is something else right now.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Hope everybody got all of that insipid Last Jedi stuff out of their system because I've run out of patience

Don't bring that stuff in here again

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Ant-fucking-man about to become a household name.

I honestly wouldn't bet against it grossing a cool bill, but it also probably won't.

As great as I think that would be to witness, I doubt it.

The first followed AoU and didn't get the bump, plus it's been 2 years since he appeared in Civil War.

If it gets a bump, it will be more modest.

I liked AoU, but it was one of the more middling entries in the franchise and the general feeling in the air was mixed, with that oft talked-about "superhero fatigue" starting to feel real. By comparison IW seems to have lit a spark of excitement that has brought hype levels back to that of the period immediately following Avengers 1. People seem thirsty for more Marvel, and Ant Man and The Wasp is cashing in far earlier than IM3 did. I honestly think it might hit that billi because of that.

Is Ant-Man or Black Panther Marvel's 'Hold my beer'?

Or is 'Hold my beer' only a negative thing?

They've basically been having "hold my beer" moments since Thor 1.

I know it's not intentional, but it reeeally feels sometimes Marvel is trolling. Imagine years ago if someone told you that a Han Solo is beaten at the box office by a movie with an ant playing the drums.

Obligatory:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have people seen this video of Rian Johnson talking about film making? It just popped up for me while browsing YouTube and it really explains a lot. I mean, I knew he wanted to make provocative decisions with TLJ, but now it seems likely that he actually wanted people divided on that film.

Please don't go crazy with the TLJ arguments, I just thought it was worth sharing because it's words from a film maker himself.

Lol what the hell.

Well, I guess he did sort of succeed. But yea, why would you want lots of people to hate your movies? Lol. Is this a directorial version of trolling or something? Like, he actually admits he gets excited at the prospect of having a big portion of people hate his movies?

Edit: And yea, Cub, as per Bronson's instructions, maybe post this in a TLJ thread instead.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
A Scott Lang lead Ant-Man movie is going to out do a SW movie. Not Hank Pym. But SCOTT FUCKING LANG.
Carol Danvers' movie will double Solo.

Kamala Khan's movie is going to be at least $150m over whatever Solo finishes with WW.

Feige's Marvel team could do a new Nic Cage Ghost Rider and it'd best Solo.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best thing about episode 9 being 1.5 years out is that we (hopefully) won't have fucking TLJ talk in here after solo box office run is over.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The best thing about episode 9 being 1.5 years out is that we (hopefully) won't have fucking TLJ talk in here after solo box office run is over.

It's been 2 years and we still haven't shut up about BvS. Fuck, prequel hate was a damned cottage industry from the time TPM came out until TFA came out. We're going to see TLJ on this board until the next series of Star Wars films fucks everything up.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Lol what the hell.

Well, I guess he did sort of succeed. But yea, why would you want lots of people to hate your movies? Lol. Is this a directorial version of trolling or something? Like, he actually admits he gets excited at the prospect of having a big portion of people hate his movies?

Edit: And yea, Cub, as per Bronson's instructions, maybe post this in a TLJ thread instead.
Just moved the post to the new Last Jedi thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.