Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

Tx4CwmQ.png

84wRFOE.png

4F5gtKm.png

16HA92U.png

DpiKnPN.png

'Godzilla' Loses Teeth With $49M Opening, But Counter-Programming Excels For First Time This Summer With 'Rocketman' & 'Ma'
Even though Legendary/Warner Bros. Godzilla: King of the Monsters led all movies at the domestic box office, it's with lackluster results as the lizard has fallen below his stateside projections with $49M per the studio – and some rivals even see the pic's 3-day lower at $47M. We're also hearing at this early stage that Godzilla's overseas numbers may just be as ugly him.

While the weekend's wide entry tentpole incurred rust, counter-programming for the first time in an Avengers: Endgame dominant summer proved it wasn't dead with Paramount's Rocketman (around $25M) and Universal/Blumhouse's Ma ($18.2M off $5M production cost) bound to be profitable film per Deadline sources.

Seriously, Godzilla 2. Despite the efforts by Warner Bros.' marketing to distinguish this movie as a need-to-see moment on the screen, by dropping the trailer a little less than a year in advance last July, it's tired IP. Warners aimed to sell King of the Monsters on its hippest quotient in trailers, that being Stranger Things star Millie Bobby Brown in her first big movie, but the fact is Legendary's Kong: Skull Island had a hipper cast with Marvel's Samuel L. Jackson, Tom Hiddleston and nabbing Brie Larson on her upswing post Oscar win (and pre-Captain Marvel). Instead of pushing Godzilla in a hackneyed way with lots of noise in the trailer, Warners took a 180-degree approach by showing images of the monsters wrecking environmental havoc set against classical music, in a move to show "the wonder" of their calamity.

Still, when it comes to reinvigorating an IP as old as this, it's a job for a mouse in a wheel. Some financiers believe that for such fare, the production costs are way too high at $170M (some say Godzilla 2 was more near $185M) in order to reach any kind of black ink margin. Godzilla 2 had great exits, but arguably that Rotten Tomatoes score was the biggest repellent to keeping audiences away at 40% versus the first two Legendary monster pic's 75% certified fresh.

But again, who wants to see another near apocalyptic Roland Emmerich-like disaster movie with monsters? We just had Pacific Rim Uprising last March, Transformers is waning, and, yes, these movies get made for the booming Asian cinema market. But if overseas this weekend fails to reach $170M for Godzilla, that's not good.

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Avengers: Endgame - $2.713B
Aladdin - $446M
Detective Pikachu - $392M
John Wick 3 - $222M
Godzilla: King of the Monsters - $179M
The Secret Life of Pets 2 - $28.4M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Man. They should have brought Gareth Edwards back. 2014 'zilla is best 'zilla (this message brought to you by Sephzilla ).

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
So what's are everyone's predictions for this weekend?

Here's mine:

Domestic
KOTM: 51M
Rocketman: 23M
Ma: 18M

OS
KOTM: 135M
Rocketman: 35M
Ma: 11M

My domestic predictions were pretty spot on, too bad I have no idea how to read the OS market lol

Seeing Ma today but now I don't know if I should stick with my plan of seeing KoTM or see Aladdin now.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From previous thread:

Endgame now needs $76m to pass AVATAR. It'll probably do $4m-$5m next weekend followed by $3m-$4m after that and $2m-$3m after that.

The dailies domestically (not all but some) will fall under $1m this coming week.

Bookmark it.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can they lower the budget for GvK or is it too late? I don't see people showing up more for that than this.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Another week, another Disney Road Map.

BHnJZTa.jpg

If we combine Disney with Fox, Aladdin's second week has pushed it to the halfway mark. But we are interested if Disney's 10 Big Releases of the year alone can do it. Will they make it? Or was cutting Artemis Fowl from their Yearly Schedule a mistake? (Probably not.)

That cast list for Aladdin is golden by the way.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My domestic predictions were pretty spot on, too bad I have no idea how to read the OS market lol

Seeing Ma today but now I don't know if I should stick with my plan of seeing KoTM or see Aladdin now.
See both. The audience (based on RT) is liking KoTM, the critics don't. It's the same story for Aladdin but Aladdin is doing far better. If you can see both. I had a fun time watching both. Though there are people here you liked it (KoTM) and people you didn't.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Detective Pikachu will become the highest grossing video game adaptation tomorrow. It is currently 500k$ shy of 2001 Tomb Raider

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Rocketman was really good and much better than Bohemian Rhapsody. They should have brought this out in the fall. It would have done much better numbers.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rocketman was great, hope the international numbers for it are good.

Can they lower the budget for GvK or is it too late? I don't see people showing up more for that than this.
It's already been shot and they're in the midst of post-production. I don't think there's really anything to do other than WB and Legendary hoping for the best next March.

It's a shame, but I am convinced that folks just aren't all that interested in kaiju films outside of a few countries, and between the 1998 film and 2014 film, there's definitely an issue of filmmakers not putting their best foot forward in terms of expectations that the mass audience quickly rebels against. I kinda wonder if things would have different if we got a film like KOTM first, but given how poorly Pacific Rim did domestically, it may not have made much of a difference in the long run.

I'll be interested to see how Toho goes about the new universe they have in mind after GvK is released, even as I'm disappointed that a sequel to Shin Godzilla died for it.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Poor Godzilla :(

Also surely nobody can say Avengers has a chance after looking at these numbers, right?

May 10, 2018
Godbomba. Godzilla vs Kong will be flop city too. Might have a better opening weekend but it comes out 1 week before Quiet Place 2 and 2 weeks before live action Mulan.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
Too bad KOTM didn't do so well. Honestly enjoyed it way more than the first movie (though the first movie has some legendary sound design).

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
For comparison, Endgame is estimated to drop 54.6% this weekend. That can go up or down a little bit when actuals come in, but it will be above 50% either way.
Infinity War dropped only 39.2% last year.

Oct 27, 2017
In 9 months Vs Kong will bomb because people hated this
And thus ends the sad tale of the MonsterVerse. And now i'm sad.
Reviews for 2014 were good but that film still collapsed after its OW due to crap WoM
Oh I'm not disagreeing that 2014 had shitty WoM, but I think pinning this movies short-comings solely on 2014 Godzilla is not fair, since its clear that people also didn't love this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.