• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Rocketman. It was okay. Didn't really do it for me and I love Elton John's music.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Cross posting from the other thread:

So since some people want analysis of legs, I updated the chart for the biggest opening weekends ever to see how the legs on Endgame compare domestically. Sadly, Toy Story 4 didnt hit the $150m threshold to get added. There is always Lion King.

4Il4bQQ.png

6th worst multiplier. But hey, Civil War keeps its crown of worst MCU legs! And Endgame gonna scratch by Iron Man 3 if it ends at 842m.

QjLolD8.png

2nd worst average weekend drop.

TPN278m.png

4th worst average weekly drop.

Truly historic "run" at the box office. It is really riding on the back of that monstrous opening weekend. After that it started performing below average for a giant opening.
Still a great achievement in the end.
Financial collapse.
Its legs fell off a cliff

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I do kind of miss the midnight screenings in a small way. I love the preview showings at 7 which means I don't have to stay up so late and my wife will come, but there was a certain manic magic to the crazies being out at midnight for the first showing of a film.
I don't know, the 6/7pm Thursday showings get a lot of diehards. Seeing Infinity War and especially Endgame on those opening Thursday nights were some of my favorite moviegoing experiences. Midnight openings were cool and the ones I've gone to have been fun, but the movies also tended to feel like a blur later on that morning.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I don't know, the 6/7pm Thursday showings get a lot of diehards. Seeing Infinity War and especially Endgame on those opening Thursday nights were some of my favorite moviegoing experiences. Midnight openings were cool and the ones I've gone to have been fun, but the movies also tended to feel like a blur later on that morning.
Yeah. The absolute first showing (not that fan event shit) is still what I aim for. I am glad to be home at a reasonable hour now in the end, even if there was a certain manic energy to midnight.
Midnight Phantom Menace was insane, as was Attack of the Clones.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. The absolute first showing (not that fan event shit) is still what I aim for. I am glad to be home at a reasonable hour now in the end, even if there was a certain manic energy to midnight.
Midnight Phantom Menace was insane, as was Attack of the Clones.

Hey, my Dark Phoenix Fan Event had the energy of a retirement home communal room! It was popping in there.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stan me up too. That movie surprised the hell out of me to the point of watching it 4 times now.
Word.

Though I only saw it once in Dolby and I'm looking forward to owning it and or streaming it on Disney+ my favorite Disney live action so far and I Feel The Lion King will take that crown as it's always been my favorite Disney movie and this modern retelling looks like it'll leave us in tears like the old one.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Word.

Though I only saw it once in Dolby and I'm looking forward to owning it and or streaming it on Disney+ my favorite Disney live action so far and I Feel The Lion King will take that crown as it's always been my favorite Disney movie and this modern retelling looks like it'll leave us in tears like the old one.
Preach. TLK is my second favorite movie period, so I hope this one delivers.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Cross posting from the other thread:

So since some people want analysis of legs, I updated the chart for the biggest opening weekends ever to see how the legs on Endgame compare domestically. Sadly, Toy Story 4 didnt hit the $150m threshold to get added. There is always Lion King.

4Il4bQQ.png

6th worst multiplier. But hey, Civil War keeps its crown of worst MCU legs! And Endgame gonna scratch by Iron Man 3 if it ends at 842m.

QjLolD8.png

2nd worst average weekend drop.

TPN278m.png

4th worst average weekly drop.

Truly historic "run" at the box office. It is really riding on the back of that monstrous opening weekend. After that it started performing below average for a giant opening.
Still a great achievement in the end.
You're just trolling at this point.

You can't compare its legs to anything else as it's opening was so massive and none of the other films were 3 hour runtimes in the middle of summer. The only thing you can compare it to is the next 3 hour film that opens to $350m summer.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

You can't compare its legs to anything else as it's opening was so massive and none of the other films were 3 hour runtimes in the middle of summer. The only thing you can compare it to is the next 3 hour film that opens to $350m summer.
It isn't trolling. All I am doing is comparing all films that opened above $150m, or the biggest openers of all time. That is the data that is available to work with, so that is what it has to be compared to.
Just because you don't like the results doesn't mean it is invalid.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

Why is runtime relevant? Can we only compare movies of the exact same length now? Might as well stop bothering with box office all together. Not sure why a summer release matters either, we always compare films that release at different times whilst acknowledging that some times are different (like Christmas).

A monster opening like that is obviously going to impact its legs. Having said that not all movies that have broken the OW record have went on to have average legs. It doesn't say anything about the movies quality but it is interesting. Guess it was just such an event that way more people than usual wanted to see it straight away.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Why is runtime relevant? Can we only compare movies of the exact same length now? Might as well stop bothering with box office all together. Not sure why a summer release matters either, we always compare films that release at different times whilst acknowledging that some times are different (like Christmas).

A monster opening like that is obviously going to impact its legs. Having said that not all movies that have broken the OW record have went on to have average legs. It doesn't say anything about the movies quality but it is interesting. Guess it was just such an event that way more people than usual wanted to see it straight away.
DING DING! Thank you.
The whole chart is basically just looking at how all of the massive openers behave compared to each other. If I wanted to troll I would compare its legs to the highest grossing films of all time to make the legs look worse, but many of those behaved like anomalies with their legs or were from a very very different time for box office grosses.

It seems people get upset at the merest bit of data that shows Endgame is not the greatest and bestest thing in the world, even if just looking at shit as a curiosity.

Wanna feel better? Notice what director is NOT anywhere near that list, and who's largest opening weekend was just above half the OW of the films on that list? James Cameron.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Two 6-8 hour Disney+ series per year is already another 5-7 movies, so congrats you're already getting what you want.

There's always room for more! The superhero genre is wide enough to accommodate multiple releases that don't overlap the way Star Wars movies do.

It seems people get upset at the merest bit of data that shows Endgame is not the greatest and bestest thing in the world, even if just looking at shit as a curiosity.

I think people are quite right to question the point of posting legs comparisons when Endgame had an absolutely monstrous opening, obliterating records left and right with cinemas playing the movie 24/7. Endgame's 'bad legs', as everyone should realize by now, are due to the fact that many, many people wanted to watch it ASAP because of last year's cliffhanger. Also, Endgame absolutely is the greatest and bestest thing in the world.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I need four MCU movies a year. I literally can't get enough of them.

With Disney+ we're pretty much going to be getting more than 4 MCU movies a year.
I imagine that instead of seeing Ant-Man 3 in theaters it will be a Disney+ miniseries.
Edit: Also when they get to X-Men I could see them making tie in mini-series for some the minor mutant characters to go along with the movies.

Last edited:

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Four MCU movies a year would be great, especially because Fox isn't making superhero movies anymore.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We can't track and compare Endgames box office legs now because it exists in it's own realm. Comparing it to other films is just trolling as nothing opened as massive as Endgame.

But you know what's funny about that? Nothing opened as massive as Infinity War a year ago either so we shouldn't have compared back then too. I guess moving forward if a movie opens massively we can't track and or compare it to other movies in the box office because it would be considered trolling.

You know what's crazy though, Endgame broke opening day, opening weekend, opening week and first to $2b in the shortest amount of time and it still won't pass AVATAR.

PhoncipleBone you posted a few very nice and detailed charts and I appreciate the work behind it. Tracking box office is just that, tracking. People getting upset at you because their favorite Marvel property won't pass AVATAR and calling you a troll is disingenuous to say the least.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
We can't track and compare Endgames box office legs now because it exists in it's own realm. Comparing it to other films is just trolling as nothing opened as massive as Endgame.

But you know what's funny about that? Nothing opened as massive as Infinity War a year ago either so we shouldn't have compared back then too. I guess moving forward if a movie opens massively we can't track and or compare it to other movies in the box office because it would be considered trolling.

You know what's crazy though, Endgame broke opening day, opening weekend, opening week and first to $2b in the shortest amount of time and it still won't pass AVATAR.

PhoncipleBone you posted a few very nice and detailed charts and I appreciate the work behind it. Tracking box office is just that, tracking. People getting upset at you because their favorite Marvel property won't pass AVATAR and calling you a troll is disingenuous to say the least.

I have two questions for you. What is the reason for posting this data? And what is your takeaway from the data posted?

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
What is the reason for posting this data?
To compare the films with the biggest biggest opening weekends.
And what is your takeaway from the data posted?
That Endgame outside of its massive opening weekend is behaving like an ordinary blockbuster and is not on some legendary, inexpiable run at the box office.

Like. I genuinely don't get why this got some of you are seemingly upset over this? It's analysis of box office numbers in the box office thread, which if anything is just shockingly on-topic for this thread.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017

Yeah exactly. Attendant has an upper ceiling. When a film opens near that limit, its legs will surely not great. Comparing legs of a 150M OW film or even a 260M OW film to a 350 OW will not bring out any respectable result.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
To compare the films with the biggest biggest opening weekends.

That Endgame outside of its massive opening weekend is behaving like an ordinary blockbuster and is not on some legendary, inexpiable run at the box office.

Like. I genuinely don't get why this got some of you are seemingly upset over this? It's analysis of box office numbers in the box office thread, which if anything is just shockingly on-topic for this thread.

I don't think I got my point across. Compare them to what end? When dealing with movies with such different openings and theatrical runs, at what point does this comparison become apples and oranges?

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I got my point across. Compare them to what end? When dealing with movies with such different openings and theatrical runs, at what point does this comparison become apples and oranges?
To compare them? Again, it's box office numbers being posted in the box office thread. It's kinda like asking why you'd compare game sales in the NPD/Media Create thread.

I'm genuinely struggling with this now. He posted the numbers, with an explanation of what they are, what the qualifiers are. It's not apples and oranges, it's the biggest opening weekends of films, they're all apples.
Yeah exactly. Attendant has an upper ceiling. When a film opens near that limit, its legs will surely not great. Comparing legs of a 150M OW film or even a 260M OW film to a 350 OW will not bring out any respectable result.
Just because you don't like it doesn't make it trolling. Legs aren't dependent on a single factor so it's a perfectly valid thing to look at. In that very list, the movie that had the smallest OW also had the 2nd worst legs.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I have two questions for you. What is the reason for posting this data? And what is your takeaway from the data posted?

Maybe because Data is interesting and you don't need a motivator to compare data? Like, what are you on about? You are looking for malicious intentions because people post objective data. If you don't like the data, then the problem is that you don't acknowledge objective data. Why are you "allowed" to post about the Opening Weekend of the movie? Why is that data more or less important than the Multiplier over its entire run? Should we maybe attack and criticize anybody who posts data about the movie's opening weekend because, new rule, from now on we should only talk about the Multipliers, not the Opening Weekend?

The data shows, interestingly, that Avengers: Endgame didn't have great legs. That alone is an interesting point of data I'm happy to know about. The fact that Star Wars: TFA for example had a way, way better multiplier and Avg Drop and that it, thus, ended up earning more money despite a 100M less opening weekend is incredibly interesting by itself. There are various points of argument you could extract from that alone. The fact that the average week drop is so much higher than other huge movies in the US like Black Panther, Hunger Games or Beauty and the Beast could indicate that Endgame failed to attract much new support over its running time for example. That people who wanted to watch it before release watched it and people who didn't want to watch it didn't watch it, while those other movies seemingly kept attracting new audiences who maybe weren't interested at launch thanks to word of mouth. Could this indicate that this is the absolute ceiling for the MCU right now? I don't know! But it's a possible point of discussion based, among other things, on this data.

Attacking people merely for posting data because that data doesn't feed into a narrative you want to establish fucking sucks, dude.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Just because you don't like it doesn't make it trolling. Legs aren't dependent on a single factor so it's a perfectly valid thing to look at. In that very list, the movie that had the smallest OW also had the 2nd worst legs.
sorry I'm not refer to the trolling part (I'm dont care about that). I replied to the latter part. Should have say more clearly.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's crazy about this is that I along with a few others projected that Endgame wouldn't have good legs and I even listed the reason why it wouldn't (it was HEAVILY front loaded) and I posted data to back it and made logical points and yet I got called out on it by pixie dust and hopes and dreams and now it seems that tides have turned and people are seeing the light and are reasoning with what I and a few others pointed out initially. So I'm confused now. Is it goal posts that are moving or are people actually rationalizing things now?

As far as the data that was posted, it's just box office data posted in a box office thread to discuss said data. That's really it really. Just as we discuss every other movies data etc so why are people getting upset for Endgame being analyzed and compared?

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017

And if he is trolling, he's earned it
People were trolling and dancing on his grave weeks ago and now he should be courteous LMAOOOOO , he's earned it

Status
Not open for further replies.