• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Jesus Christ, this summer is a bloodbath. Those openings are terrible, and the drop on Godzilla is horrific.

I guess the big surprise is Aladdin. As much as I hated that movie, WoM must be great. It is holding steady and already at $600m worldwide, higher than I thought it would gross in total.

Save us, Toy Story.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My early poo-pooing of Detective Pikachu will go down as one of the only times I was right in a BO thread.

I'd say predicting Dark Pheonix to be a bomb would count, but tons of people thought that.

I guess I can be counted on to predict movies with the initials "DP" to fail.

Let's hope Dune doesn't get a subtitle like Dune: Prologue.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Elizabeth Olsen gonna be like in the MCU:
nmma1khi.jpg

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
If Fox still had the X-Men movie rights, the next movie would have Simon Kinberg as Director, writer, and playing every role himself.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
What're the chances of Detective Pikachu making another $25m WW? If it does that it beats Warcraft.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The only summer blockbuster that ended up doing better than expected was Aladdin lol.

Disney domination.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I said Shaft OW would beat DP's second weekend. Now i think shaft ow might beat DP ow

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That X-Men opening is just...I don't think anyone could have predicted an opening that catastrophic .

Writing's been on the wall for months.

It looked horrible, it was coming off the heels of Apocalypse, nobody gives a shit about this iteration of the characters, it wasn't being pushed, and it's now common knowledge the franchise is getting nuked by Disney to be done properly in a few years.

I was surprised so many here were confident it'd make at least $40 million. Nobody anywhere seemed to give a shit.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
So looking like it'll be Det Pikachu > Godzilla > Dark Phoenix yah? Sad for Godzilla but oh well

Aladdin is making much better than I've expected.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Worth noting that next weekend's Shaft is being released internationally via Netflix two weeks after the US debut.

Shaft isn't going to do that well. The real question is will MiB OW be able to beat DP OW

The reviews will be everything. A Dark Phoenix esque critical response will doom it at the box office.

Personally I think a three day opening of $25-30m for MIB Int. but we shall see.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Worth noting that next weekend's Shaft is being released internationally via Netflix two weeks after the US debut.

The reviews will be everything. A Dark Phoenix esque critical response will doom it at the box office.

Personally I think a three day opening of $25-30m for MIB Int. but we shall see.
MIB also had half the budget of Dark Phoenix, so that'll help.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

"No resurrections for the Phoenix this time."

(Meanwhile, back on Earth....)

"And Godzilla The Thrilla, the Legendary Beast,
the King of the Monsters from the West and the East,
the Undisputed Champion of All Things Colossal and Cool...
Well, that was the end of the Lizard King's rule!
For Godzilla, the King of the Earth and Beyond,
Fell off his throne and fell "Plunk!" in Earth's pond!

And today, the great Godzilla, that Marvelous he,
Is King of the Flops. That is all he can be."

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We've entered an era where people actually pay attention to movie reviews now (barring the bizarre exception like Venom). With movie ticket prices the way they are, a movie simply being mediocre at best isn't good enough anymore. So it shouldn't be any wonder DP, KotM, and SLOP 2 did badly (thought SLOP probably won't flop with how low its budget is).

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
*pours one out for the X-Men movie franchise minus Deadpool*

Goodbye you bizarrely run Movie Franchise. You had some good moments. But it's time for you to go now.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's relative, but for its budget I would say so. I said it would do poorly at least in the US after the first trailer. Others were guessing anywhere from 300M domestic on up. It hasn't made half that.

Failure isn't judged by what random people on forums predict a movie will do.

DP was not a failure.

Some of you guys really need to realize there is a middle ground between "huge success" and "failure."

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Secret Life of Pets is now the biggest franchise in the world.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

DP was not a failure.

Some of you guys really need to realize there is a middle ground between "huge success" and "failure."

Focus on that first sentence. It has not performed like a movie with a 150M budget needs to.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking knew the estimates for Dark Phoenix were too high. Good to be proven right.

Oct 28, 2017
Is John Wick going to be the only non-Disney movie to blow up at the box-office this summer? The holiday season doesn't look much better for studios outside of Disney

Jlynn

Nov 6, 2017

DP was not a failure.

This movie had a collaboration with T-Mobile in which subscribers would be able to see it on Friday night for $4. Similar to what happened with Suicide Squad.

$4 is less than the price of a 6 piece chicken mcnuggets.

And it still made less than expectations. This is the textbook example of failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.