• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
audiences are ruining cinema by refusing to pay to see anything that isn't a VFX-heavy spectacle.

Godzilla and Dark Phoenix, both VFX spectacle movies, just bombed and bombed hard.

Its more like audiences are refusing to see anything that can't get a decent score on Rotten Tomatoes, which contrary to what some people will tell you is NOT that hard.

OP
OP
OrangeAtlas

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Random Saturday thought: what's the longest it ever took for a numbered sequel? I don't mean something like Blade Runner 2049, I mean like a 2/3/4/etc.

Incredibles 2 was 15 years. I guess we can count Dumb and Dumber To, that was 20 years.

Dec 22, 2017
Random Saturday thought: what's the longest it ever took for a numbered sequel? I don't mean something like Blade Runner 2049, I mean like a 2/3/4/etc.

Incredibles 2 was 15 years. I guess we can count Dumb and Dumber To, that was 20 years.

One of the Disney sequels maybe? Some of these are like 60 years apart. If Fantasia 2000 doesn't count, than Bambi II?

Last edited:
OP
OP
OrangeAtlas

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
One of the Disney sequels maybe? Some of these are like 60 years apart. If Fantasia 2000 doesn't count, than Bambi II?

Ah you're right, I was thinking more theatrically but I guess technically Disney's DTV nonsense would take it. Question still remains what the biggest theatrical one is.

Star Wars episode VI to VII was 30+ years!

I thought of that but TECHNICALLY if we're going by my arbitrary ruling the Episode numbers aren't in the official titles, just on the title cards.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

Why wouldn't Blade Runner 2049 count, but Dumb & Dumber To would?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Basic Instinct 2 came out 14 years after the original. That's not the record or anything, I just wanted to remind everyone that there was a Basic Instinct 2. And it had the subtitle "Risk Addiction".

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else think the Raptors championship could cause a $50m+ boost for Avengers Endgame in Canada this weekend?

I'm thinking it's all but guaranteed tbh

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Blade Runner 2049? The action movie where Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford team up to defeat Jared Leto from taking over the world with robots?

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I just wished they had budgeted the film better or made it shorter. Maybe we could have gotten a sequel. Blade Runner 2049 was fantastic. The movie flew by for me.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you are requiring that both the original film and the sequel were theatrically released, the answer would probably be:

The Odd Couple (1968)
The Odd Couple 2 (1998)

The best part about it is that The Odd Couple 2 is a sequel in the truest possible sense (same actors, same writer). It's not like Return to Oz or Mary Poppins Returns where the creative team is completely different. The movie itself is apparently quite bad despite the fact that Neil Simon wrote it.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Godzilla and Dark Phoenix, both VFX spectacle movies, just bombed and bombed hard.

Its more like audiences are refusing to see anything that can't get a decent score on Rotten Tomatoes, which contrary to what some people will tell you is NOT that hard.

Then explain audiences not showing up to the movies that are getting good reviews on RT (that isn't a blockbuster).

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Then explain audiences not showing up to the movies that are getting good reviews on RT (that isn't a blockbuster).

Sadly, good reviews can't help a movie with limited marketing or limited mass market appeal. People just aren't going to the movies anymore for non-blockbusters unless the movie gets insanely good WoM like Get Out.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
People only really go to blockbusters or the big kids or family movies RT just helps them pick out of those

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

Booksmart wasn't in a theater near me for longer than a weekend

Last Black Man In SF wasn't even in one near me, period

I want to see more great films. I just don't live in NY or CHI or a city like that (yet) where limited releases almost always end up

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, good reviews can't help a movie with limited marketing or limited mass market appeal. People just aren't going to the movies anymore for non-blockbusters unless the movie gets insanely good WoM like Get Out.

Which is kind of the point. People like to complain about "Hollywood doesn't make these types of movies anymore" about a bunch of different genres, but the truth is that they don't make them anymore because people stopped going to see them and the only way they make sense is for indie companies to do with either lesser known actors or with everyone taking backend deals to keep the production costs down. Streaming has basically saved the mid-budget movie, but who knows how long this boom of everyone needing content is gonna last.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Kinda bummed to see Gozdilla and Dark Phoenix's results...

I wanted to go and watch Ma but it has taken out after like a week or so.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Top Gun, 1986
Top Gun: Maverick, 2020

Technically not numbered, but it stars the same fucking guy in the lead role

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't say audiences were off to see every VFX-heavy spectacle.
But they refuse to see movies that aren't, regardless of their RT percentages.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Release good movies. Jesus Christ. Everything deserves to bomb. Lord Pikachu failed me and Disney will inherit the Earth. Fuck's sake.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
images

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Is Us a vfx heavy? Because it is fairly big.
Us benefit from Get out and it's only really profitable because it's cheap movie that's how a lot of horror movies make money even when their box office isn't high.

It's box office isn't even close to blockbusters numbers it's beaten by Godzilla kotm and people are calling that a bomba

Also exceptions exists

Status
Not open for further replies.