• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's streak that's gonna have to be broken if/when a Fantastic 4 movie comes out, but the Fox X-Men have pretty much been the Charles/Magneto/Jean/Wolverine (and to a lesser extent Cyclops) show for the whole run, with different important supporting characters depending on the era (Rogue, Storm, Iceman pre-DOFP and Mystique/Beast/Quicksilver post DOFP). They could do a movie centering other characters instead, like Kitty Pride as a simple example.

I'm not saying Charles Xavier won't exist in the world, just that I don't think he'll be a character that's central to the story like he has been up to this point.
I think Charles/Magneto are important but their not gonna play a role as big as they did before. I think now it's probably gonna be focused on Cyclops being the new Boy Scout until his eventual downfall and I think Feige will focus on that. But it'll also probably build up the rest of the X-Men too.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
ScSKNOR.png

At least they kept the budget in check.
source.gif

Sheesh. I wasn't expecting it to be a critical darling but that's frightening. Hemsworth/Thompson combo can only go so far. Guess it's Disney's summer to lose after all.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I don't like the Hemsworth/Thompson combo and I also don't think he should have been starring in this MIB as a lead. Outside of Marvel he poops sadly. He works best with others around him.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just had a look at the highest grossing films of the year so far worldwide. (Source: Wiki)

FcefZEG.jpg

Disney already own 4 of the top 10, and Dumbo is basically going to get knocked out by Toy Story 4, another Disney.

There's still Lion King, Frozen 2 and Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker that will almost certainly make the list and then there's Maleficent which might have a decent chance of cracking top 10 (Last one made $785 Million so can't rule it out, but that was 5 years ago, and as we've seen with stuff like SLOP 2. These things can fatigue).

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
The only reason Disney appears to have a monopoly is because everyone else is bungling everything.

Seriously, how are they all messing up this badly?

Last edited:

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason Disney appears to have a monopoly is because everyone else is bungling everything.

WB: Messed up both DC and Harry Potter in different ways. Is being hard carried through the year by New Line.

Sony: Lacks real bankable franchises outside of Spidey but has been trying to find ones while keeping budgets down. Fun fact: Spider-verse is their highest grossing movie of this year.

Paramount: There's a very real chance that Bumblebee makes to the end of the year as their 5th highest grossing movie of this year with 55M DOM. Their current plan seems to be to 'we can't lose money releasing movies if we don't release movies'

Universal: SLOP2 underperformed but they keep the budgets low enough to be fine. Shine might be off of Illumination though. F&F needs to start cutting people soon or else they'll start losing money on them.

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I don't like the Hemsworth/Thompson combo and I also don't think he should have been starring in this MIB as a lead. Outside of Marvel he poops sadly. He works best with others around him.
Yes, everyone poops. Even Kevin Feige.

Disney has a monopoly on basic business managing.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even Disney managed to screw up with TLJ and Solo though. They also make a huge live action bomb every few years (would've been Artemis Fowl this year if they had't moved it, now it will bomb next year).

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I love how most of us thought a sequel to Sicario focusing on Del Toro's character was a good idea.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Making a movie half the fanbase hates is not something Disney probably wanted. But I don't want to derail the thread.
"half the fanbase". You can't be serious. I guess half the Marvel fanbase must hate Brie Larson since the only "proof" of this is RT user scores.

If you don't want to derail don't make up nonsense that has no evidence to back it up and post it lol.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
"half the fanbase". You can't be serious. I guess half the Marvel fanbase must hate Brie Larson since the only "proof" of this is RT user scores.

If you don't want to derail don't make up nonsense that has no evidence to back it up and post it lol.
I would say there are quite a bit of people who didn't like it and there's some divisive opinions on it, but it was still a success regardless with various fans and many critics plus the box office was good too for it.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think saying that Last Jedi was divisive is a huge stretch honestly.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Key difference: people shitting on Captain Marvel are doing it solely because they hate women and Brie Larson. These very same people shit on TLJ too (Holdo, Rose, Finn, Rey) but I would argue there are a lot of people who strongly dislike TLJ for reasons related to storytelling and the portrayal of established characters. I mean...do you seriously deny it that the SW fanbase has been split ever since TLJ came out?

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Hey some of us shit on CM because it's a boring ass movie we walked out on about 45 mins into.

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My previous posts really weren't meant to be bait but I find it funny that whenever someone does bring up TLJ in a negative light you have people immediately jumping on those posts/posters. Maybe just ignore my stupid ass if you think I'm that wrong?

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get why people can't be content in not liking TLJ (which is fine!) and have to instead make up silly claims about "half" the audience hating it despite every reliable metric we have says that isn't even close to being true. Just like with the Brie Larson nonsense.

My previous posts really weren't meant to be bait but I find it funny that whenever someone does bring up TLJ in a negative light you have people immediately jumping on those posts/posters. Maybe just ignore my stupid ass if you think I'm that wrong?
It's not about you not liking TLJ. It's about making up statistics with no shred of evidence. No one cares if you don't like it, just don't make up fake statistics.

No one gets mad that someone doesn't like a movie, it is just with TLJ people feel this need to make up fake stats and data to insist most agree with them.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Endgame vs Avatar talk has died down. It was inevitable.
It's like poetry it rhymes
Yep, still going strong! The fact that the movie is brought up like this says a lot about it(even though I liked the movie)!

December gonna be a crazy no matter how ROS does.

It does better than TLJ?"JJ saved the franchise from the awful TLJ."

It does worse than TLJ? "TLJ was so bad it killed the franchise."

It's gonna be a hoot!

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't get why people can't be content in not liking TLJ (which is fine!) and have to instead make up silly claims about "half" the audience hating it despite every reliable metric we have says that isn't even close to being true. Just like with the Brie Larson nonsense.

As I said, the people hating on Brie Larson are a minority of insecure hateful men. I don't think that's the case with TLJ though (of course, those same insecure hateful men hate on TLJ too because of the inclusion of women and PoC but they're a minority). TLJ haters overall? Not sure if they are such a small minority.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Maybe don't take it so personally? It's not about painting it in a bad light, many people who post here have done that a million times over. It's about making absurd claims with nothing factual to back it.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I said, the people hating on Brie Larson are a minority of insecure hateful men. I don't think that's the case with TLJ though (of course, those same insecure hateful men hate on TLJ too because of the inclusion of women and PoC but they're a minority). TLJ haters overall? Not sure if they are such a small minority.
There is literally nothing to back your statistic that "half the fanbase hated it" and there is a whole truckload of information that would say otherwise (and no I am not saying everyone liked it, I would mostly agree with Sephzilla). That's the issue. You made up a statistical number that directly contradicts the actual information we have.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah I don't think it's a 50/50 split but on the flip side I think the divisiveness of it is a little more wide spread than people think
I think there is a divisive component there in a way there wasn't with TFA, but it's pretty minor in general. It has had zero impact on SW celebration, for instance.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
If Rise of the Skywalker makes less than TLJ does that make a difference on whether TLJ was a screw up or not?
People will spin it to serve whatever narrative they see fit

If TROS makes less than TLJ you'll get people saying "this is proof TLJ hurt the franchise" and other people will counter by saying "JJ's lack of originality hurt it". If TROS makes more than TLJ you'll see people saying that this was proof that TLJ was a failure, or people will say that TROS capitalized on TLJ's momentum.

Last Jedi discussion is an infinite black hole at this point

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Captain Marvel has that Street Fighter Easter egg. I'll admit, that pleased me more than it should have lol

Funny enough it's actually a plot hole because if Carol went missing in the 80s she wouldn't have been playing Street Fighter II, which was '91.

But it's a neat inclusion given the history Capcom and Marvel have

Status
Not open for further replies.