• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
People will spin it to serve whatever narrative they see fit

If TROS makes less than TLJ you'll get people saying "this is proof TLJ hurt the franchise" and other people will counter by saying "JJ's lack of originality hurt it". If TROS makes more than TLJ you'll see people saying that this was proof that TLJ was a failure, or people will say that TROS capitalized on TLJ's momentum.
True. Although if it makes more than TLJ, the second argument doesn't really hold up at all. From a non-biased party, if TROS does underperform than it certainly will not be good for Star Wars as a franchise since we would have seen a downward trend in the main series and spin-offs.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason Disney appears to have a monopoly is because everyone else is bungling everything.

Seriously, how are they all messing up this badly?
I had this thought too, looking at the MIB review thread. For all the handwringing about Disney monopolizing and steamrolling the industry, we're a month and a half into summer blockbuster season, with a handful of the biggest summer titles already out and Endgame is still by far the best received. And the second best (not counting JW3 as a typical blockbuster) is like Aladdin, unless you counted Rocketman as a blockbuster (which, as a musician biopic, I wouldn't think of it as one imo). Godzilla, Dark Phoenix, MIB, SLOP 2... all big name, non-Disney franchises that are just way underperforming with critics and audiences.

Last edited:

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
We should make a bingo card of all the different ways people are going to interpret TROS' performance.
ULEhWaT.png

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I had this thought too, looking at the MIB review thread. For all the handwringing about Disney monopolizing and steamrolling the industry, we're a month and a half into summer blockbuster season, with a handful of the biggest summer titles already out and Endgame is still by far the best (critically) received. And the second best (not counting JW3 as a typical blockbuster) is like Aladdin, unless you counted Rocketman as a blockbuster (which, as a musician biopic, I wouldn't think of it as one imo). Godzilla, Dark Phoenix, MIB, SLOP 2... all big name, non-Disney franchises that are just way underperforming with critics and audiences.
Exactly. It's less that Disney is eliminating the competition and more that the competition is eliminating themselves by doing such a terrible job with their stuff.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe don't take it so personally? It's not about painting it in a bad light, many people who post here have done that a million times over. It's about making absurd claims with nothing factual to back it.
Wasn't there a poll on this very site showing that more than 40% of users were between dislike and hated it?

Found it:

More than 1600 votes, with the "liked" eeking a win with 51.6%

Saying the movie was highly divisive, and even that probably nearly half the fanbase didn't like it/hated it isn't that big of a stretch really.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Wasn't there a poll on this very site showing that more than 40% of users were between dislike and hated it?

Found it:

Saying the movie was highly divisive, and even that probably nearly half the fanbase didn't like it/hated it isn't that big of a stretch really.
Hundreds of people on this site also believed that Detective Pikachu would outgross Toy Story 4:

More people voted in that thread than the TLJ one.

We are not a very representative group.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Found it:

Yes it is a big stretch. 1600 ERA votes isn't representative of the general SW fanbase.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Neon Demon
Conjuring 2
Purge: Election Year
Lights Out
Shin Godzilla technically

May through July had more films released that I saw and liked/loved, and had far less films that I saw and hated (I only really hated X-Men Apocalypse and Batman Killing Joke, Warcraft and Ghostbusters were meh). August was cancelled out because I despised Suicide Squad but La La Land remains one of my most-watched films even currently

For what it's worth, La La Land was a wide release in December. The only reason you'd find an August date for it is due to film festivals.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Found it:

This is the same website that gave MGS4 GOTY twice so I wouldn't trust any polls around here.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Found it:

Era is a horrible way to base a wider audience reaction. We are demographically not very representative of the Star Wars fanbase

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Era is a horrible way to base a wider audience reaction. We are overwhelmingly 20-30 something white male nerds.
There are dozens of articles (even a mathematical regression on exactly how divisive is out there I believe) about how divisive the movie was in spite of the great critical reception, but we're getting back in the circle jerk again... I guess some of you guys and gals will just never admit to it eh?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I think the suggestion to argue over TLJ was made in jest.

Don't force yourselves to the 12th round on this one, friends.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
We almost made it a thread without fighting about TLJ.

Anyhow, presales for MiBI are looking like an opening in the 20s.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
ScSKNOR.png

At least they kept the budget in check.

Welp. Victim #4 of the Summer Bomba Sequel Blockbuster famine incoming. (It helps that the current Tomatometer can't even beat 2002's MIB 2, the previous low for the series...)

Meanwhile, Shaft 2019 is about to release in two days, but there's no reviews for that one out either. Gonna be a pretty disheartening weekend if both major releases directed by African-Americans (F. Gary Gray for MIB: Int., Tim Story for Shaft) are critical and commercial disappointments...

Even Disney managed to screw up with TLJ and Solo though. They also make a huge live action bomb every few years (would've been Artemis Fowl this year if they had't moved it, now it will bomb next year).

That's true, but they're at a point where their other films (if not just one/two films alone) can collectively gross billions of dollars each year now to stave off those losses. Almost none of the other major studios have that much clout to release one or two major bombs and still come out heavily profitable for the rest of the year. To say nothing that about constant on-and-off urges of Paramount's parent Viacom re-merging with CBS, or Sony's film division doing poorly enough that talk of a potential sale were going around a few years back.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
The sooner we as a society can accept that Star Trek > Star Wars, the sooner we can get away from arguing about TLJ and start arguing about true kino like Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

Last edited:

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's true, but they're at a point where their other films (if not just one/two films alone) can collectively gross billions of dollars each year now to stave off those losses. Almost none of the other major studios have that much clout to release one or two major bombs and still come out heavily profitable for the rest of the year. To say nothing that about constant on-and-off urges of Paramount's parent Viacom re-merging with CBS, or Sony's film division doing poorly enough that talk of a potential sale were going around a few years back.

I'm just kind of dumbfounded why they still keep making them.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just kind of dumbfounded why they still keep making them.

You and me both.

And while Artemis Fowl was pushed back to 2020, we're probably still getting at least one major bomb this year anyway (the Maleficent sequel).

We almost made it a thread without fighting about TLJ.

Anyhow, presales for MiBI are looking like an opening in the 20s.

Yikes! I was expecting it to underperform, but I wasn't expecting anything this bad.

Sony better be thanking their stars Marvel Studios' FFH is a few weeks after this.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There are dozens of articles (even a mathematical regression on exactly how divisive is out there I believe) about how divisive the movie was in spite of the great critical reception, but we're getting back in the circle jerk again... I guess some of you guys and gals will just never admit to it eh?
How about you provide actual evidence to your claims and not point to 1600 ERA votes as an equivalence to the SW fandom being highly divided over TLJ.

We digging up and reanimating our year old takes now that endgame is concluding

Status
Not open for further replies.