• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I don't like the Hemsworth/Thompson combo and I also don't think he should have been starring in this MIB as a lead. Outside of Marvel he poops sadly. He works best with others around him.
He's great in Rush. His comedy roles work best with a large ensemble and as a smaller role though. Outside of Thor that is.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You think it's gonna crash and burn like Alice Through the Looking Glass?

I think the October release date gives it a potential lifeboat to merely underperform instead of outright flop (unless it reviews really terribly like that film did). Looking Glass had a end-of-May release, which for 2016 was the starting doldrums of that year's summer bombbuster season, meanwhile October is a more quiet period and it being Halloween month also nets it some pull given the lead character in question. Regardless, Mistress of Evil I think is in the same hole Looking Glass is in--a "nobody asked for this" sequel to a film that made a lot of money, but wasn't particularly well-reviewed.

That aside, it will also be a rather interesting fight for what villain-centric movie comes out on top that month--WB/DC's Joker comes out a couple of weeks prior.

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Star Trek Beyond was the best Star Trek movie to come out since Undiscovered Country
Not for me.. but I do love how different people like or dislike certain films.

I start with Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home... those I can watch over and over...

Only First Contact from the TNG crew...

JJ's Star Trek I and II are good to me... I do not like a lot of Beyond.

Oct 31, 2017
It was always Disney's summer. Will be Disney's Nov-Dec too

At least 2020 won't be completely Disney. First half of the year we got:

Jan we got Bad Boys III
Feb we got Birds of Prey, Peter Rabbit 2
March = Quiet Place 2
April = New Bond, Trolls
May = Fast and Furious
June = WW 1984

While I don't think I will watch the majority of the above movies, they should theoretically do well at the BO right?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
PhoncipleBone

Its not just the studio albums. I own a bunch of live albums. I own stuff like Rare Masters. I own that album he did with Leon Russel. The album he did with Pnau. The Road to el dorado album. His Duets album. A few greatest hits albums.

I also own a bunch of songs not on albums of his, like his duet with tony bennet, his duet with aretha franklin or his collaboration with Queen.

Do you own "Reg Dwight Sings the Hits / Chartbusters Go Pop"? Or one of the other collections of his ridiculous session cover work? That's the mark of a true fan. :-p

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
For Endgame $835m domestic is looking more likely. I would say just shy of $840m at best. IW's 8th weekend was $600k higher than Endgame's 7th, and IW made about $14m more after that. This will probably be in the $10-12m more range after that drop, and it is going to shed a lot more theaters in the next two weeks.

wait til that re-release in theaters before the next Marvel film next year. delayed penta kill

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm at the theater waiting for Dark Phoenix to begin. I came here against my own best judgement lol. I gotta see for myself how much of a trainwreck this movie is.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek Beyond was the best Star Trek movie to come out since Undiscovered Country
This is a fact and I live by this commandment every day.

Star Trek ranking? Star Trek ranking.

1. Wrath of Khan
2. Undiscovered Country
3. Beyond
4. Voyage Home
5. Trek '09
6. Search for Spock
7. First Contact
8. Motion Picture
9. Into Darkness
10. Generations
11. Final Frontier
12. Insurrection
13. Nemesis

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
PeATQ67.png

Last edited:

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
This is a fact and I live by this commandment every day.

Star Trek ranking? Star Trek ranking.

1. Wrath of Khan
2. Undiscovered Country
3. Beyond
4. Voyage Home
5. Trek '09
6. Search for Spock
7. First Contact
8. Motion Picture
9. Into Darkness
10. Generations
11. Final Frontier
12. Insurrection
13. Nemesis
Anyone throwing love to VI as one of the best gets immediate love in my book. If anything I think it gets better as time goes on and I get older. Seeing so much of the political commentary in it.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So I just saw Dark Phoenix. I actually really liked the first 15 or so minutes, but after that boy did it become a boring slog. Which I actually think is worse than being a full on trainwreck since in that case at least I could had got some enjoyment out of it in a so-bad-it's-good way. But it's just boring.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Shaft review embargo very quietly lifted less than two days from release, and like a lot of movies right now, its bad

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Thankfully next year Disney will have nothing of the likes EG TS4 LK Frozen SW, other studio may have the chance for that no.1.

OP
OP
OrangeAtlas

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Ah geez.

Alright, here's all the major releases left for the rest of the summer.

So what are we expecting in simple, binary terms: thumbs up or thumbs down?

June 21 (Friday)
Anna
Child's Play
Pixar's Toy Story 4
Wild Rose (Limited)

June 26 (Wednesday)
Annabelle Comes Home

June 28 (Friday)
Yesterday
Maiden (Limited)
Ophelia (Limited)

JULY 2019

July 2 (Tuesday)
Spider-Man: Far From Home

July 3 (Wednesday)
Midsommar (Limited)

July 12 (Friday)
Crawl
Stuber
The Art of Self-Defense (Limited)
The Farewell (Limited)
Sword of Trust (Limited)

July 19 (Friday)
The Lion King

July 26 (Friday)
The Boy 2
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Honeyland (Limited)
Mike Wallace Is Here (Limited)
The Mountain (Limited)

AUGUST 2019

August 2 (Friday)
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw
Love, Antosha (Limited)
Luce (Limited)
The Nightingale (Limited)
Piranhas (Limited)
Them That Follow (Limited)

August 9 (Friday)
The Art of Racing in the Rain
Brian Banks
Dora and the Lost City of Gold
The Kitchen
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
After the Wedding (Limited)

August 14 (Wednesday)
The Angry Birds Movie 2
Blinded By the Light

August 16 (Friday)
47 Meters Down: Uncaged
Good Boys
The Informer
Where'd You Go, Bernadette
Aquarela (Limited)
Cold Case Hammarskjöld (Limited)

August 23 (Friday)
Angel Has Fallen
My Spy
Overcomer
Ready or Not
Brittany Runs a Marathon (Limited)
Fiddler: A Miracle of Miracles (Limited)

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I think Toy Story, Lion King, Spider-Man, OUATIH and Hobbs & Shaw will do well.

Yesterday, Midsommar, Crawl, Scary Stories, Annabelle and Dora will do okay.

Everything else will do mediocre to bad.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
June 21 (Friday)
Child's Play
Quality: 👎 Box office as long as it's not a stupid budget (it shouldn't be): 👍
Pixar's Toy Story 4 Gonna make a stupid amount of money 👍 I'm expecting quality to be alright, would be ecstatic if it was as good as 3 but that's a pipe dream likely

June 26 (Wednesday)
Annabelle Comes Home Everything else in the series has made a lot of money compared to its budget 👍 I'd love if this was anywhere near as good as Annabelle Creation, but as is I nearly fell asleep during Annabelle and expect a repeat of that from what the trailers have shown

JULY 2019

July 2 (Tuesday)
Spider-Man: Far From Home 👍 for the box office easily, best case is it's the first billion dollar Spidey film. Quality I hope is a 👍 but as the end of the phase, I think expectations might be a bit high in that department

July 3 (Wednesday)
Midsommar (Limited) 👍 for both. This is my pick for film of the summer, I've loved everything I've seen, and there's little chance of this not making its budget back and then some if A24 has any faith in it, let alone the kind of faith Ari Aster's first film since Hereditary earned

July 12 (Friday)
Stuber Box office I'm unsure of. Quality 👍 The trailer was great and even before it, I was already sold on just the plot/pitch

July 19 (Friday)
The Lion King Box office is obviously 👍 Quality is leaning heavily to a 👎 for me, I couldn't be more bored by what I've seen

July 26 (Friday)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Unfortunately the box office will be a 👍 Quality is an immediate 👎 for me. Fuck Tarantino

AUGUST 2019

August 2 (Friday)
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 👍 for both. I hope it succeeds because the best case is Dwayne stays out of the main series for the final films (already confirmed not in 9, here's hoping for 10). Thank you Statham
The Nightingale (Limited) I'm reallyyyyyyyyy hoping 👍 for box office. Quality I have no doubt is 👍 and it's one of my most anticipated films the rest of the year

August 9 (Friday)
Dora and the Lost City of Gold Box office is probably a 👍 just because the kids need something to see this week. Quality I'm unsure of, what I've seen so far is leaning 👎 and it's not what I'm seeing this week anyway
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark 👍 for both. This piqued a lot of curiosities and the trailers so far have delivered. André Øvredal has already earned a lot of goodwill from me between Trollhunter and Autopsy of Jane Doe, and if anybody could really pull this off I have confidence he's done it

August 14 (Wednesday)
The Angry Birds Movie 2 👍 for box office thanks to the kids, 👎 for quality

August 16 (Friday)
47 Meters Down: Uncaged If the budget's not stupid it'll make money, 👍 Couldn't provide a bigger 👎 for quality though. First one sucked and that actually had names that drew you to the project. Aidan from Sex and the City? Jamie Foxx's daughter?
Good Boys http://ew.com/movies/2018/08/04/seth-rogen-apology-blackface-good-boys-set/
The Informer I just saw a trailer for this when I saw Ma! Common was the only memorable part. 👎

August 23 (Friday)
Angel Has Fallen Box office, like the rest in the series unfortunately: 👍 Quality, like the rest in the series unfortunately: 👎

Everything else I've never heard of and don't feel fair saying I'd like/dislike or think would succeed/fail without knowing about

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Currently, industry estimates are now at $30M in U.S. Canada at 4,200 theaters and $70M-$85M overseas. Total global launch is between $100M-$115M. China should match the U.S. opening and hopefully U.S. doesn't fall lower as tracking for fanboy IP has been greatly over-inflated in recent weeks. Previews start at 4PM in the U.S. at 3,500 sites. MIB 4 will also play in Imax.

Sony releases MIB 4 around the world beginning today, notably in France and Korea. Through Friday, the film will be in 56 markets repping 92% of its offshore footprint and excluding Indonesia, Netherlands, Italy and some smaller hubs which will go later.
🤷‍♂️
Anyhow, they did have something to say about budget:
Despite the $110M-production cost being floated out there, we hear the net before P&A cost on Men in Black: International is actually under $100M (per those with knowledge of the budget, not studio sources). We hear co-finance partners Hemisphere and Tencent are each in for just under 18% each, helping to reduce Sony's risk. Already working in the pic's P&A favor is $75M through a number of largely high-end promotional partners like Lexus cars and Paul Smith suits.
(emphasis mine)
This is a sound strategy; i.e. reviving an "older" IP, giving it a smaller budget, finding partners to spread financial risk and create promo. I just kinda wished they took greater creative risk with the core product.
Did they though? Never believe the production numbers that studio's casually let slip out there. While Sony did bring TenCent on to co-fi and distribute (???) in China I still believe this was probably closer to $150m than $100m after the troubled production went through the wringer.
Apparently penny-pinching Rothman struck again with this.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit are we talking Star Trek?

Show Rankings
  1. Next Generation
  2. Deep Space Nine
  3. Enterprise
  4. Original Series
  5. Voyager
(Haven't watched Discovery yet)

Movie Rankings
  1. Khan
  2. Undiscovered Country
  3. Beyond
  4. 2009
  5. First Contact
  6. Generations
  7. The Motion Picture
  8. Voyage Home
  9. Into Darkness
  10. Search for Spock
  11. Final Frontier
  12. Insurrection
  13. Nemesis

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
According to the writer of the first MIB, that movie still hasn't turned a profit. That pro Hollywood accounting, damn.
Which is why you ask for profit participation based on the gross and not the net. Just like your 90s cartoons taught you.

(look, I just love this clip and saw an opening to post it. It's my 2nd favourite inside baseball joke from 90s cartoons)

Status
Not open for further replies.