• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Oh. I've never seen it so I assumed it was like 30 seconds.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Aladdin has Will Smith charming the shit out of you throughout the movie.

The Lion King has

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be real interesting to see how the much the audience takes to TLK. I say it will open high (around $160m) but will have bad drops over the coming weeks.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Radcliffe is just doing whatever role he likes now, I don't think he's hurting for money (unless he has a coke and hooker habit he's good at hiding)...
He should make a movie about himself being a wash out Harry Potter actor with cameo of the people involve in HP franchise while poking fun at JK Rowling TERF stand, directed by Martin McDonagh (In Bruges, Billboard in Ebbing).

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
We may be in front of an Aladdin situation, where TLK gets dumped on by critics but is loved by audiences. Or maybe not. It's gonna be interesting to track this movie's legs.
Also damn at that Zatt meltdown. I get this place can get frustrating sometimes, but making things about him on a thread about US politics is... well, it denotes a severe lack of perspective. Hope he uses his time off the site for some self-reflection. Wish him the best.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Aladdin has Will Smith charming the shit out of you throughout the movie.

The Lion King has
I think the photorealism angle has a chance of pulling in people. At least it seems like that's the angle they were attempting to go for. If they miss the mark and all this "realism" was for nothing and this movie underperforms I'mma be pissed they wasted it on my second favorite movie of all time.

But there's no world in which a movie like this gets under 1B.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think the photorealism angle has a chance of pulling in people. At least it seems like that's the angle they were attempting to go for. If they miss the mark and all this "realism" was for nothing and this movie underperforms I'mma be pissed they wasted it on my second favorite movie of all time.

But there's no world in which a movie like this gets under 1B.

The photoreal gimmick can go either way to be honest. It might be the next great fad. Or not.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The photoreal gimmick can go either way to be honest. It might be the next great fad. Or not.
Yep, that's the key. Either way I don't see an outcome where this earns less than a billion WW, but whether or not the gimmick proves successful or not will play a part in how much it moves beyond that mark.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I really have no idea how The Lion King will go. I would think that the weird combination of a heavily subdued take on the spirited material from the original cartoon with technically impressive, yet utterly bland photorealistic CG would do plenty to lead to negative word of mouth from people who wanted something emotive and entertaining. If I could say nothing else nice about the new Aladdin, at the very least I wouldn't describe it as uninspired like that high-budget nature documentary.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of realism in TLK, man, reading through the Art and Making of TLK (remake) artbook that just came out Tuesday is kinda depressing. In the description of each character the designers describe how some of the animals were more expressive or "human like" in early screenings but a lot of that got toned down as that doesn't reflect how the animals react in real life.

And they say that like it's a good thing. It hurt reading that apparently Timon in the rough drafters for the remake used his arms and hands like a human would but they were told to tone it down. Sucks that this movie had to limit itself all for the sake of the gimmick.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of realism in TLK, man, reading through the Art and Making of TLK (remake) artbook that just came out Tuesday is kinda depressing. In the description of each character the designers describe how some of the animals were more expressive or "human like" in early screenings but a lot of that got toned down as that doesn't reflect how the animals react in real life.

And they say that like it's a good thing. It hurt reading that apparently Timon in the rough drafters for the remake used his arms and hands like a human would but they were told to tone it down. Sucks that this movie had to limit itself all for the sake of the gimmick.
Ugh. Everything about this movie just says to me that the people in charge kept making the worst decisions possible.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

The goal should have never been photorealism. But I'll wait for the movie to make any judgement on the quality of the film itself.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The Jungle Book managed a sweet balance between realism and expresivness in the animals. Sucks that they didn't carry over that approach to TLK.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Heh, you can see this if you compare the teaser to the final movie.

YI0VliV.gif

3vqIAAO.gif

There used to be the slightest twinkle of emotion in Simba. But he couldn't even have that. This movie's ethos is just deeply misguided.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I had everyone jump down my throat last week for calling these Disney remakes soulless cash grabs now that's what the majority of people across the forum are calling lion king ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.