• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are in the quiet before the return of...The Familia
giphy.gif

SOON

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
Infinity War added $2m at the very end of the year last year long after it had left cinemas because of numbers from smaller territories finally coming in. International numbers aren't as easily tracked so weekends where extra money comes in can happen.
Yeah, this isn't fudging, this seems to be legitimate. The rerelease did it's job.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Reading the primer it seems we don't actually know and I guess there's no way to tell for sure if it fudged? You guys were making me think it was definitive, but it seems reasonable it got there legit

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
For those much better at analyzing, is FFH going to top Jumanji's $404mm?

Someone mentioned a few threads ago that summer box office hits are usually 2x the 6-day haul but it's already at $319mm.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know about fudge but there's definitely some salt lol. Congrats to Favreau for having one of the more interesting hollywood careers I've ever seen. What a ride.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I think Disney just cashed in some chips early to get the announcement in time for Comic Con and the home release.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
There we go, unironic fudge accusations based on the potential of fudging since other movies fudged numbers and therefore since we don't know exactly how the numbers got to where they are (although it's likely international for anyone paying attention to why they've been underreported) so we'll just say it's fudge instead of finding or waiting for answers from people who would know.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
maybe once cameron is done with avatar 6 or whatever he can do Avengers vs Xmen and then retake the crown

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

g5Sjc18.jpg

No I didn't start putting crowns on all the Avengers before realising I was putting them on the Infinity War poster, why would you ask such a thing that very clearly didn't happen and take up a lot of time.

Last edited:

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
There we go, unironic fudge accusations based on the potential of fudging since other movies fudged numbers and therefore since we don't know exactly how the numbers got to where they are (although it's likely international for anyone paying attention to why they've been underreported) so we'll just say it's fudge instead of finding or waiting for answers from people who would know.
Knew it was coming even though all last thread people were saying "nobody's actually claiming the numbers were fudged"

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's like a whole section in the OP about how this is a fudge.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just curious why they would even bother updating Avatar at all. It's been nearly 10 years. Are these people THAT fucking terrible at accounting?
That's what I'm saying! Took nearly na decade to update AVATAR but only a year for IW. WHO is tracking these things? I want answers lol

It'd be nice if things were reported and that was it, no ifs/buts in between.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
What's odd is that it took them nearly a decade to update AVATAR but only a year to update IW. Who's tracking these international numbers?! Lol
Maybe the one responsible for updating number for Avatar at Fox is lazy :P? Or maybe that amount of money for Avatar just comes in recently because IIRC Avatar had a re-release at Korea in 2018.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
There were examples of fudges past, but also reasons given as to how Endgame could've gotten there without fudge. Until we have a bit more info, I'm gonna hope the numbers are all in good faith. No reason to downplay Endgame's success because it doesn't seem like anyone really knows yet.

Fudge really shouldn't be said so many times.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I always took fudging to mean they fabricate non-existent money out of nowhere. This doesn't seem to be that. Jatinder said it already passed Avatar back on Wednesday.
It did the exact same thing as The Dark Knight (I posted the article about it earlier) where they dig up "unreported" international gross with very convenient timing. It's not Transformers 4 where Paramount just outright lied.
So reverse fudge? "Intentionally" underreporting numbers so they can draw out the drama?
Reverse fudge isn't a thing. Most likely explanation for finding the exact right amount of money internationally to allow it to pass that milestone at the same time as Comic-Con is simply that they just mess with the numbers a bit.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just curious why they would even bother updating Avatar at all. It's been nearly 10 years. Are these people THAT fucking terrible at accounting?
I have zero clue what's the purpose of doing that, although it's funny that the figures are such that Avatar is just 300K short of breaking into 2.79B, like Endgame did.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see The Farewell expanded well. TS4 should be locked for a billi right?

Once Upon A Time should be a modest opening, legs will be interesting. Probably get rereleased around Oscar season?

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
See, that's the thing. This doesn't count as fudging. This is anti-fudging.

They could have announced that it beat Avatar days ago, but literally waited for SDCC. Fudging is when you jump the gun, not when you wait.

Oct 31, 2017
Questions:
- Will FFH pass SM 1 to be #1 domestic SM movie of all time?
- Will FFH stop at 1B? 1.1B seems to be the ceiling right now.
- Will Aladdin get a 4x multiplier to reach 360MM domestic? 1.05B WW?
- Will Toy Story 4 get to 400MM domestic and 1B WW?
- Does TLK still have a shot at 1.5B? I think 1.2B is the floor
- Does Avengers Endgame have enough juice left to reach 2.8B?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
See, that's the thing. This doesn't count as fudging. This is anti-fudging.

They could have announced that it beat Avatar days ago, but literally waited for SDCC. Fudging is when you jump the gun, not when you wait.
Delay-fudging to make your announcement at a big event!

Status
Not open for further replies.