• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Then show me better visuals from Aquaman , i hope your answer wont include that shitty as deep diving to ocean scene but i wait
I mean, the entire trench sequence is better shot than the entirety of iron man 3. The final battle between ocean master and aquaman. Aquaman getting his armour, the Italy sequence.

I understand if somebody doesn't like the film, I thought it was okay but saying the visuals weren't on point is just bizarre.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I went into Aquaman without knowing much. It just got bigger and bigger and end up with giant Star Wars battle, so much fun despite bad acting all around.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
quick what's better avatar or spider-verse
Avatar actually isn't one of my favorite movies, you know

Neither is Spider-verse really, but I think I would say Spider-verse in this case based on its strong and unique visual/aesthetic ambition. I honestly didn't really connect that much with its story and characters, but I appreciate the heck out of what it was trying to do. There's some real craft and artistry in that film. I certainly don't feel this way about any MCU movie, except for maybe Black Panther, which sadly wasn't given enough time to cook.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God damn, do you guys even know what you're arguing about anymore? That last page was pure torture, this shit isn't that important.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Show me an MCU battle that looks prettier than this

My god my, the eye candy 😍

I saw it in Dolby. I wish I had a Dolby theater at home.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Talking about eye candy, the other day I rewatched the OG Suspiria for the first time in years in prepararion for Suspiria 2018. Good lord that's an eye popping film. Kinda feels bad going from that to the rather drab visuals of the 2018 movie.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Spider-Verse is an exemple how different between this nerd forum and general audience's taste.
This place of course loved it and GA had none of it. It did bad overseas for animated and for spiderman film. Most of my friends did not want to see it or care about it after, the comic-y style just for not everyone.

Oct 31, 2017
Spider-Verse is an exemple how different between this nerd forum and general audience's taste.
This place of course loved it and GA had none of it. It did bad overseas for animated and for spiderman film. Most of my friends did not want to see it or care about it after, the comic-y style just for not everyone.

This is a correct take. The movie didn't take off at the BO because the GA rejected it. It has nothing to do with it being animated. We have had a shitload of animated movies grossing over 1B.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I hated second part with visuals like on drugs and kingpin battle that took sequence on purple background with terrible visuals. First half is great until that part

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's with you guys and this expectation that a movie has to pull a billion to do really well.

Spider-verse is not even close to being considered a flop by any other metric.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a correct take. The movie didn't take off at the BO because the GA rejected it. It has nothing to do with it being animated. We have had a shitload of animated movies grossing over 1B.
True but it's the art style. Spider-Verse is something you "could see on TV" vs a Disney/Pixar movie is a "movie movie" not sure if that makes sense but there are a lot of people with that mentality. I get it but it robs them of experiences. I loved Spider-Verse. Saw it in Dolby as well.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

I think part of it has to do with the animation. When there exists a live action Spider-Man, animated Spider-Man feels like the lesser movie. The same exact movie in live action as a part of the MCU would have cleared a billion no problem.

it's sad but that's how it is. Lego Batman did poorly for the same reason, I think.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A live action version of Spider-verse would be even more pointless than the Lion King remake.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I hated second part with visuals like on drugs and kingpin battle that took sequence on purple background with terrible visuals. First half is great until that part

The build up is so good with Prowler revealed but I dont like the final battle where everyone going at it. I feel like my eyes being assaulted with too much chaotic actions, flashing images and that flickering comic style.

I feel the same way about Lego movies. Kind of funny because they are all produced by the same person.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish Aquaman's costume aesthetic wasn't so shit. I really liked how colorful everything was and how it was depicted but the costumes were SNL tier.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Spider-Verse made like 400 million lmao

It did well, y'all just like to attach arbitrary guidelines for whether a movie is successful or not

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
guys lion king is about to make $1.6 billion and looks like a nature documentary

a bad nature documentary

with no color

inferior to the original animated version in literally every way

live action is money, ain't nobody give a shit about "identity". the box office speaks for itself.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone called it a flop.
Ok, but the "General Audience" also didn't reject it because if they did the movie would actually flop. Spider-verse is the least grossing Spider-Man movie because the other films are blockbuster tentpoles with a way bigger marketing push and international push while Spider-verse is at its core a modestly budget animated family film meant to play better domestically. From the studio's perspective Spider-verse's marketing and expectations isn't that different from Sony's other animated films. It's an apples and orange comparison.

Also can we lay off the "general audience is turned off by animation" even though that's complete and total bullshit.

Last edited:

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
spider-verse would have done $1b if audiences weren't automatically turned off by anything animated and had decent taste for a change.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Spider-verse did well, it just deserved more. And the year before that BR 2049 did a lot worse, but deserved a lot more. I haven't seen much this year so what's the 2019 equivalent?

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Isn't Spider-Verse one of Sony Animation's highest-grossing movies? And it's getting a sequel. Nothing to complain about with regards to Spider-Verse's box office results.

Status
Not open for further replies.