• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Best teen comedy of the decade.
tenor.gif

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Ooh Edge of Seventeen is on Netflix here, I'm watching that tomorrow. I wanted to check that out after being impressed with Hailee Steinfeld in Bumblebee but never got around to it.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Is it me or are teenage girl coming of age films usually really good?

Maybe its just the ones Ive watched and there is a whole bunch of really bad ones out there.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I also thought Easy A would become a cult classic but it's been mostly forgotten. It's main contribution to society were these gifs:

6IADLL4.gif

Vhnu51Q.gif

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Hey everyone: Booksmart, Edge of Seventeen, Eighth Grade, or Lady Bird? I take Eighth Grade.
Is it me or are teenage girl coming of age films usually really good?

Maybe its just the ones Ive watched and there is a whole bunch of really bad ones out there.
we are awash in good ones.
it was not always like this.
The interesting thing is all four are directorial debuts, three from actors/actresses, and two the writing/directing debuts.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
You know, I also thought Easy A would become a cult classic but it's been mostly forgotten. It's main contribution to society were these gifs:

6IADLL4.gif

Vhnu51Q.gif
Easy A was alright but probably one of my least favorites in that sub genre.I dont know something about it just wasnt up to par. It was the movie equivalent of trying to make fetch happen.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Oof, hard to rank Lady Bird vs Booksmart. Think I might say Lady Bird was the overall strongest, but everything in Booksmart from when they get to the party to the end had me totally transfixed.

Eighth Grade would be third for me. Haven't seen Edge of Seventeen.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Are the Riddick movies good?

I have a friend who stans Pitch Black but not the others
Pitch black is a decent poor man's alien but it has a great diesel performance. It was basically his break through role.

Chronicles of riddick is...weird. it takes a stand alone contained horror story from the first film and then tries to take the main character and place him in a big space opera. It has a few decent scenes and some really cool art design but it's not that great. I thought the ending was the best part but the next film does nothing with it. It's like the Prometheus of the franchise.

Riddick is basically pitch black 2 and it's an alright watch but nothing special. It's kind of like the alien covenant of the franchise. It comes off the back of a much more ambitious movie and tries too hard to turn away from the previous film.

The animated movie was a fun watch.

The first video game is fucking awesome and one of the best movie tie ins ever. The sequel game was meh.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As of right now my top 5 favorite films of the year are:

1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
2. Booksmart
3. Toy Story 4
4. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
5. Spider-Man: Far From Home

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pitch black is a decent poor man's alien but it has a great diesel performance. It was basically his break through role.

Chronicles of riddick is...weird. it takes a stand alone contained horror story from the first film and then tries to take the main character and place him in a big space opera. It has a few decent scenes and some really cool art design but it's not that great. I thought the ending was the best part but the next film does nothing with it. It's like the Prometheus of the franchise.

Riddick is basically pitch black 2 and it's an alright watch but nothing special. It's kind of like the alien covenant of the franchise. It comes off the back of a much more ambitious movie and tries too hard to turn away from the previous film.

The animated movie was a fun watch.

The first video game is fucking awesome and one of the best movie tie ins ever. The sequel game was meh.

I will never understand the decision to shift the Pitch Black sequel's genre from (relatively) hard Sci-Fi to Space Opera.

Imagine if for the sequel to Alien, Ripley found out she was the Chosen One and wielded a laser sword and the Xenomorph Queen could shoot lightning from her second mouth or whatever...

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I will never understand the decision to shift the Pitch Black sequel's genre from (relatively) hard Sci-Fi to Space Opera.

Imagine if for the sequel to Alien, Ripley found out she was the Chosen One and wielded a laser sword and the Xenomorph Queen could shoot lightning from her second mouth or whatever...
At least it gave us Karl Urban with this haircut.

Vko_63.jpg

Some kind of fashionista mullet. I'm guessing a lot of cocaine was done before, during and after the production of the film.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017

It clearly didn't work but I always prefer when non planned sequels shift genres vs doing more of the same. Like I'll take a Chronicles of Riddick over every MIB, Jurassic Park or Ghostbusters sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.