• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
One thing I will say regarding the Disney live-action necessity discussion is while the rehashing of the Lion King story might not be necessary, the film seems to be pushing several different film technologies forward so i'd argue on that ground alone its necessary.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
No surprise that TLK social media reactions are glowingly positive. It's an almost 1:1 remake of Disney's best animated film. Anything less than greatness would be baffling.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No surprise that TLK social media reactions are glowingly positive. It's an almost 1:1 remake of Disney's best animated film. Anything less than greatness would be baffling.
Not really from what I've read. It has an additional half hour of content plus several new songs, and people before (and even now) love to complain about how emotionless the trailers look, so it reviewing well was hardly a walk in a park.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

jd9b67K0c7EHprlG96BW4DChL7DhKUK4.gif

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really from what I've read. It has an additional half hour of content plus several new songs, and people before (and even now) love to complain about how emotionless the trailers look, so it reviewing well was hardly a walk in a park.

The movie was always gonna review well.

The people complaining about the footage we've gotten are a very vocal minority. This movie is as close to a sure thing as it gets in Hollywood.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Also, for everyone who said Endgame would be out of AMC theatres by tomorrow, just looked at showtimes for Friday and it's showing in pretty much every theatre in the Chicagoland area minus the ones with limited screens. As far as I can tell, every theatre seems to have only reduced showtimes by 1 per day starting on Friday.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Endgame grossed almost as much as last Tuesday. That's impressive.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Hobbs & Shaw ticket was just automatically refunded. Looks like they are going to finally add Dolby in favor of 3D since Lion King would have been out 2 weeks already in Dolby and Hobbs & Shaw is looking at around $90m-$100 opening weekend.

All 3D shows appear to be cancelled it seems until they sort that out at least.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This does not look good.

It looks like fucking trash and there's no way it won't make a billion dollars.

I learned from Aladdin. That movie was as bad as it looked and it didn't matter. Kids especially seemed to enjoy it but it's a kids movie.

The problem with this film from what I can see is that the animals are just not expressive at all.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seems like a good hold for endgame. 15m to go! Just needs 30 more days like that and it wins!

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It looks like fucking trash and there's no way it won't make a billion dollars.

I learned from Aladdin. That movie was as bad as it looked and it didn't matter. Kids especially seemed to enjoy it but it's a kids movie.

The problem with this film from what I can see is that the animals are just not expressive at all.

Aladdin was great.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You know it's funny that some people are up in arms over the Mulan songs not being in. I liked some of the songs in Aladdin but overall the movie could've done without them and some seemed REALLY forced. I also gotta say jasmine and genie were the best parts and the guy who played Aladdin was easily the worst part. Plus people shouldn't be so attached to crap like genie having blue skin. It was a really weird looking effect and it completely worked just having him look like himself. Kinda took me out of it when he went blue

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
As do I. I just feel Values is better. All about the camp subplot.

It isn't.

Damn Google image search. At least I know for sure Jabba's shitty 97 CG is real.

And Values is a way better movie. The camp subplot, the baby, and the grandmother finding stray cats to eat is too good.

And jus got back from SM: Far From Home. So damned good.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Damn Google image search. At least I know for sure Jabba's shitty 97 CG is real.

And Values is a way better movie. The camp subplot, the baby, and the grandmother finding stray cats to eat is too good.

And jus got back from SM: Far From Home. So damned good.
As silly as it sounds, if they did replace Vader like that I wouldn't mind as much as I do the added NOOOO during the final fight. The second I saw that I decided never to buy the blu. A lot of the changes I can tolerate and get past and be fine. But them adding that NOOOO as the Emperor is killing Luke was too much. It ruined one of the most perfect moments of the entire series.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know it's funny that some people are up in arms over the Mulan songs not being in.
For me, the issue with the songs is that it no longer feels like "Disney's Mulan." You can argue whether Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin were good, necessary, or whatever, but they're still undeniably "Disney's ___." Taking the songs out removes that. Now it's just Mulan, and not a remake of their beloved classic. It's like I'm watching Disney choosing to make a Mulan movie but not choosing to make their Mulan movie. And it's baffling. Remaking one of your films, I understand. I might not agree with it, but I get it. Specifically choosing to not remake your own film and instead remove the things that make it inherently "Disney" is a choice I do not comprehend and makes me very uninterested in seeing the film.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
As silly as it sounds, if they did replace Vader like that I wouldn't mind as much as I do the added NOOOO during the final fight. The second I saw that I decided never to buy the blu. A lot of the changes I can tolerate and get past and be fine. But them adding that NOOOO as the Emperor is killing Luke was too much. It ruined one of the most perfect moments of the entire series.

I haven't watched the Special Editions since the early 00s or the BRs at all, but my gut tells me they're generally fine. The example you point to definitely seem the most egregious of what I'm aware of.

I will say, the one version I have watched relatively recently is A New Hope a couple years ago when I was going to get my girlfriend up to speed on SW. For what it's worth, she really enjoyed it and didn't seem to notice anything not working for her outside of Jabba being so outdated.

Christina Ricci carries Values on her back. Her moments at the camp reach higher highs than the first film. I still prefer the first film overall because it's more consistent from start to finish.

I do think this is totally valid, on the higher highs of Values but overall consistency of the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.