• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST. And who knows what other surprises are hidden in the OP.

'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Hooks $184M+ 6-Day Opening Records For Sony & Independence Day Holiday Stretch

In early Sunday AM estimates, the 6-day opening of Sony's Spider-Man: Far From Home has grossed $184.5M which is record for any pic that launched over the Independence Day stretch for that number of days, and it's a studio best for Sony. Both records were previously held by Sony's 2004 Spider-Man 2 which made $180M over the July 4th 6-day stretch. By the way, remember we said Far From Home would get to at least $170M when it hit tracking? The possibility of of that comes from other beloved mega franchises like Transformers, Spider-Man and Despicable Me's July 4th box office history and the halo effect from Avengers: Endgame. Those were self-fulfilling prophecies here for Far From Home.

Sony will be reporting their official box office Sunday AM estimates soon.

Far From Home posted its second best day yesterday during the course of its run with $34M after Tuesday's opening record of $39.2M. Saturday was 5% up from Friday's $32.5M. Far From Home's 3-day is at $93.1M which in terms of FSS that played around the July 4th holiday is the second-best behind 2011's Transformers: Dark of the Moon with $97.8M.

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE:

Spider-Man: Far From Home - $580m
Aladdin - $921.7m
Toy Story 4 - $650m
Annabelle Comes Home - $134.8m
Yesterday - $57m
Avengers: Endgame - $2.773b

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

NOTE: NO AVATAR VS ENDGAME BULLSHIT IN THIS THREAD. CAN TALK ABOUT NUMBERS ALL YOU WANT BUT NO FANBOY SHIT.

Last edited:

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I'm glad Midsommar exceeded opening day and opening weekend expectations. That film being good was the only thing I wanted this year, and it was perfect 🥳

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, love what you did there with the posters in the OP.

I was anticipating Aladdin but must admit I haven't checked it out yet. Surprised it did this well, but I'm happy about it, since it seems like the movie turned out decent to good.

And Avengers: Endgame only $15 million from Avatar? It's been fun following its run from the sidelines.

Anyway, I'm probably gonna check out Midsommar tomorrow or sometime next week since I'm in for Florence Pugh.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
So End Game is 15 million short of Avatar? Still within the realm of possibility that it will make it, but I could see it going either way. I wonder if Disney have any more tricks up their sleeve to help it over the mark.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy, but Endgame is only $15m away from Avatar now, and the re-release isn't scheduled to hit in some countries until August. Are you telling me there's a chance?

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Is Pikachu's run over? Numbers haven't been updated at Mojo for days now.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Also like I said in the last thread, FFH has gotten off to a better domestic start in 6 days than any other Spidey, including the top 2 that came closest to a billion (3 and Homecoming)

It has the best chance of getting to the mark than anything else in the franchise has had. If it can't get a billion here, I really don't know if a Spidey film can

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Please ignore the fact that it says John Cusack instead of Joan on the Toy Story poster. It is all just an illusion created by Mysterio. Nothing to see there...

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, Aladdin.

If Dumbo made people momentarily think that the live action remake train was running out of steam, this should extinguish those hopes.
It's more a signal of *which films* to expect live action remakes for in the coming years. Nobody gives a shit about Dumbo (or Tim Burton) in 2019.

Please ignore the fact that it says John Cusack instead of Joan on the Toy Story poster. It is all just an illusion created by Mysterio. Nothing to see there...
you had one job

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, Aladdin.

If Dumbo made people momentarily think that the live action remake train was running out of steam, this should extinguish those hopes.

I didn't care for too much for any of the adaptations, but I really liked Aladdin. It deserves all the success. I have still have the songs playing in my head.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Is Aladdin going to make it to a Billion?
Even if it doesn't, loling hard right now at the people who decreed it was going to be a bomb

Like you had that Will Smith thread a few months ago where he talked about why he didn't take Neo, and everyone was acting like playing Genie was going to be his next big career killer.

I only thought it was okay but I'm all for the kneejerk "everything was a flop" crowd around here being shown up

Status
Not open for further replies.