• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this doesn't look good at all. Am I having nostalgia goggles with Jungle Book? I remember that looking so much better.
It looked about the same to be honest.

TNlyUyh.gif

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what WB is doing starting up a big budget Mortal Kombat film without an experienced director behind the wheel, but I guess they will trust Wan with anything he oversees after he got Aquaman to a billion

This looks a lot better than that musical clip, and the voice work seems less stiff than in TJB

They really don't need to bring back the musical side of these for the live action

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I was right about the facial animation in Lion King looking stiff and emotionless.

The voice acting is good, but man was hyper-realism the wrong art style for this film.

Aine

May 27, 2019
CinemaSins is one of the worst things to happen to media discourse. TV Tropes is pretty up there, too.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think there is a memo at Disney that these live-action adaptations need to tone down villians significantly because the new generation kids are too soft to witness genocide evil that sing killer showtune.
Can wait for what they do with Frollo of upcoming Hunchback of Notre Dame /s
Eh, I imagine they'll give special attention to nailing Frollo in a live-action Hunchback. Hellfire is everyone's gateway drug for that movie.

In the stage musical they made him somewhat more sympathetic (Quasi is Frollo's nephew, his brother died of the pox after running off with a Roma girlfriend), but he actually succeeds in killing Esmeralda. Dollars to donuts they keep the darker ending.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
CinemaSins is one of the worst things to happen to media discourse. TV Tropes is pretty up there, too.
Special shout-out to the word plothole.

"What happened to Belle's mom? THIS IS A SIGNIFICANT PLOTHOLE, FUCK YOU DISNEY"

How about it wasn't important to the narrative so they never mentioned it? In the musical they were able to wave it off with one line.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless on where we all stand on Disney/Death of Cinema/Superheroes etc, can we all agree Disney deserves a bit of sideeye for trying to pass off The Lion King remake as "live action" in all the promotional material?

It ain't fucking live action

Of course it isn't. And nobody is dumb enough to think it actually is (beyond just using the term incorrectly) because nobody believes Disney filmed a bunch of real animals and taught them choreographed moves and how to hit their mark.

This is a non issue.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Does Disney actually call it live action? In the common vernacular sure, but I don't think I've seen any official source call it such.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah everything about the Lion King remake looks kinda awful. Guess I will just go back to my blu-ray of the true Lion King

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do we know if the same cast will return for the Arabic version voice over? Mohamed Henedi was hilarious as Timon.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
The lip moment in these clips is really weird. No wonder it's not been shown off much. Still, 1.7b ish I think.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Finally watched Mary Poppins Returns, and I'm worried for The Little Mermaid now. Out of all the musicals I've seen, that was certainly one of them. I don't trust Rob Marshall, though it might help that he has a solid foundation to work off of.
Review embargo drops today for LK. Wonder where it will land.
Above 90%, probably. Whether it deserves that or not I'll see for myself in theaters.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol pls tell me they gave scar some kinda backstory
I bet Mufasa was actually a bag of dicks and was responsible for Scar's namesake in the first place.

In fact, he's probably called Scar because that what his brother used as a name to pick on him and it stuck with the rest of the lions.

I'll take my paycheque now Iger.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There has been a hell of a whiplash with this Lion King remake. After those initial glowing reviews, I'm now seeing critics shit on it?!

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I maybe too cynical to think after all incredible high praises for CM, EG, TS4 and FFH (not sure if it count), another Disney remake will not play well with critics.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm sure Lion King will review fine. We'll find out today I guess.
But that side by side comparison in the tweet above is kinda maddening. Basically it looks like the people behind the film think that more realistic = better-looking.
And coming from a company with such a legacy in animation, that kind of mindset is a bit frustrating to see.

Oh well. The clip with Scar and Simba looked alright though.

Oct 25, 2017
Well... the technical ambition is there for TLK.

The movie honestly gives me GL prequel vibes in that they are more interested in pioneering new tech.
Hot take: Movies that exist to push technology tend to focus much more on the technology rather than making a good movie and suffer greatly for it.

See also Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I'm sure Lion King will review fine. We'll find out today I guess.
But that side by side comparison in the tweet above is kinda maddening. Basically it looks like the people behind the film think that more realistic = better-looking.
And coming from a company with such a legacy in animation, that kind of mindset is a bit frustrating to see.

Oh well. The clip with Scar and Simba looked alright though.

The dour look of LK is pure director's choice.
Aladdin had eye-poping color compare to other Guy Rickie's movies (I'm looking at you King Arthur)

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
There's so much personality in every frame of the original that you just can't capture with photorealism.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Est wednesday numbers from Charlie Jatinder:

Spider-Man: Far from Home $9,230,000
Toy Story 4 $4,270,000
Yesterday $1,260,000
Annabelle Comes Home $1,200,000
Aladdin (2019) $1,090,000
Midsommar $910,000
The Secret Life of Pets 2 $780,000
Men in Black International $510,000
Avengers: Endgame $390,000
Rocketman $310,000

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Did you just insult Elf?
Hah. I thought about putting an asterisk to explain my thoughts about Elf.
I kinda like some parts of it actually. The sentimentality just didn't quite work on me and I'm usually an easy target for that type of stuff.
So yeah I'd say that Chef is his only film that I liked from beginning to end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.