• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Aladdin had Will Smith's infectious personality and charms carrying it the whole way through.

What does The Failin' King have?

Well it has James Earl Jones magnificent voice.

For most of it at least.

Do I really need to create Spoiler Tags for The Lion King now for the next few weeks, this is like, a similar situation with Final Fantasy VII and Aerith.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think Lion King will do well

It still has some... versions of the songs

And awkward animations to match

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, really curious at this point how audiences react.

I don't think this is going to bomb, but I'm having doubts on it getting into $1.5+ Billion territory.

We'll see how the next two weeks go.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm pretty sure Lion King's box office is about as review-proof as you can get. Aladdin had similar negative clip reactions (Genie for Aladdin, the recent Simba/Timon & Pumbaa clip for Lion King), similar Rotten Tomatoes score, less star power/nostalgia factor and STILL is gonna hit a billion.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
That 100% won't last but lol if Crawl reviews better than Lion King

OV1yxt4.png

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
That's what you get for taking out Be Prepared.

Regardless, I still think it will reach a billion. It just needs to be at around 50% for people to consider watching. Aladdin's on it's way to a billion despite mediocre reviews and it's not nearly as beloved as The Lion King.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm pretty sure Lion King's box office is about as review-proof as you can get. Aladdin had similar negative clip reactions (Genie for Aladdin, the recent Simba/Timon & Pumbaa clip for Lion King), similar Rotten Tomatoes score, less star power/nostalgia factor and STILL is gonna hit a billion.
Aladdin had a visual aspect going for it that seems to be missing in the Lion King though

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ouch at TLK reviews. This makes me really curious about how it's box office run will do. While it could do as well as Aladdin (since they have similar RT numbers) that movie had a LOT of charm while TLK doesn't seem to have any.

Nostalgia will give it a good Opening Weekend but I got a bad feeling about the legs.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I'll watch TLK if only to just experience circle of life in cinema again lol, we'll see if the general audience will like it or not I guess.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Disney should have just gone the route that Illumination went with the 2018 Grinch film and just made all of their new live-action films into animated CGI films.
Live-action, or in this case a realistic art style, is more of an attention grabber than taking a stylized cartoon and turning it into another stylized cartoon.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Live-action, or in this case a realistic art style, is more of an attention grabber than taking a stylized cartoon and turning it into another stylized cartoon.
Sure but it clearly is making the movies suffer from an aesthetic standpoint. At the very least, I think remaking the top-tier movies were a mistake only because the expectations are that much higher to reach.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but it clearly is making the movies suffer from an aesthetic standpoint. At the very least, I think remaking the top-tier movies were a mistake only because the expectations are that much higher to reach.
If this were any other studio they wouldn't be able to catch a break. The expectations of a Disney remake, while at times high, is a lot lower compared to others. People are really drawn to their IP.

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Where did Alexandre Aja go off to after Piranha? Seems like he vanished until just now with Crawl.

His Hills Have Eyes remake fucked me up at the time, but I absolutely was not be age to be watching it lol

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Came out of my Midsommar showing and loved it. Liked it more than Hereditary. More people need to go watch it.

Also bought my tickets for The Lion King and Hobbs & Shaw today. I might get a return on TLK though and spent it on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood next month instead.

Low-key looking forward to Crawl.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I hope Stuber does well. I love Big Dave but listening to him talk on a podcast I don't think he has much hope for it doing well.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
It's been a long, weird road.

It's certainly not as impressive that it took this long for Endgame to limp over the finish line, but I do still think it deserves that crown.

Avatar still deserves plenty of respect for climbing so high the way that it did. Same goes for Endgame though. They're just two very different success stories, rather than the "one pulverizes the other go team go" kind of saga that a lot of people wanted.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
People thought critics would fawn over Lion King?

Trust me, most film critics, at least the ones I follow on Twitter, have no love for these Disney remakes

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
what the fuck is coming out from Disney in December 2020 that justifies Avatar being delayed to the next year after, or does Cameron still need more time

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
After IM2 I know Jon Farveu would take all the wrong lesson after the success of TJB but I never expect its reviewed thid bad. Realism is not the selling point, try to make logic of lion pride is just strupid. There are so many beautiful jungle in africa, why did he have to make this so .... brown?

And whos the head of these remake, all new recent outputs are rotten. Although they made money but they have no quality control unlike Marvel, Pixar, Animated department...

Mulan will probably flop too, it's way too serious.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long, weird road.

It's certainly not as impressive that it took this long for Endgame to limp over the finish line, but I do still think it deserves that crown.

Avatar still deserves plenty of respect for climbing so high the way that it did. Same goes for Endgame though. They're just two very different success stories, rather than the "one pulverizes the other go team go" kind of saga that a lot of people wanted.

Avatar took 238 days to reach its mark. Endgame is on day 75. It'll reach $2.788b in less than half the time Avatar did.

what the fuck is coming out from Disney in December 2020 that justifies Avatar being delayed to the next year after, or does Cameron still need more time

yeah it definitely seems like a Cameron thing. No Star Wars or Avatar in December 2020 couldn't have been the initial plan.

2020 overall is fucking barren.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
West Side Story.

But this time it wasn't a Cameron delay. The Avatar sequels have been delayed to service the release schedule of D&D's Star Wars movies of all things, to break them up from the yearly cycle that saw Disney oversaturate Star Wars with yearly releases.

The first film obviously wasn't gonna make 2021, so Avatar had to move into that spot.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
West Side Story could end up being the highest grossing movie of 2020. Especially if China blocks out Hollywood. That would murder the Fast 9 and Venom 2 chances and knock about $100M off of Wonder Woman 84.

Status
Not open for further replies.