• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
West Side Story could end up being the highest grossing movie of 2020. Especially if China blocks out Hollywood. That would murder the Fast 9 and Venom 2 chances and knock about $100M off of Wonder Woman 84.
I don't know, I could see West Side Story being a repeat of Mary Poppins Returns.
Does that name still mean much to people?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Highest grossing movie of 2020 is gonna be between Fast 9 and Eternals imo

Fast 9 is the only guaranteed billion I see, and then I'm not betting against a new MCU IP.

Wonder Woman mayyyyyybe

Harley Quinn movie and Venom 2 should do well but I don't see either hitting $900m.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

Fast 9 is the only guaranteed billion I see, and then I'm not betting against a new MCU IP.

Wonder Woman mayyyyyybe

Harley Quinn movie and Venom 2 should do well but I don't see either hitting $900m.
What the fuck is Eternals?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
So what's it looking like for Endgame beating Avatar? I seem to recall reading a few days ago people thinking the most recent re-release would push it over, but it's not something I've paid much attention to lately.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, what happened to MIB:I.. I really thought that was going to do well.. though admittedly I didn't even go see it..

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was not good, and even worse, it was boring. You can be bad and exciting and still be okay, but bad and boring is basically the kiss of death.

That's a shame, it looks like it had all the parts to really be something fun (at the very least) and maybe even more.

It seems like the worldwide totals aren't THAT bad in comparison to its budget. It will probably break even on home release.

The damn name threw me off, I thought those were international totals for some reason. Over $200M worldwide is.. fine I guess. Just thought it'd be in the $400-$500M WW range since MIB 1-3 did so well.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Wonder Woman mayyyyyybe

Hmm. I'd go with:
- Fast 9
- Bond 25
- Minions 2 (haters, I'm sticking with this being an off year for Illumination)
- WW84

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
That's a shame, it looks like it had all the parts to really be something fun (at the very least) and maybe even more.

The damn name threw me off, I thought those were international totals for some reason. Over $200M worldwide is.. fine I guess. Just thought it'd be in the $400-$500M WW range since MIB 1-3 did so well.
Yeah. Doesn't seem like anybody was clamoring for a reboot and Hemsworth is pretty much box office poison outside the MCU so it's not doing that all things considered I think. I doubt Sony goes ahead with a sequel but you never know. WB is going ahead with a tomb raider sequel and that didn't do that great either.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Eternals is gonna do a GotG, and make about $750-850m ww.

I really hope Bond 25 turns out really well - quality wise.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
The writers had no idea how to reconstruct the chemistry between will & tommy so they just wrote two wacky leads and an always-present talking mascot making faces at each other for two hours. The comedy is a complete disaster of the trio firing one liners like it was a Paul Feig joint. There's no art to it, no discipline in the writing, just 'tell jokes till something lands.'

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
So what's it looking like for Endgame beating Avatar? I seem to recall reading a few days ago people thinking the most recent re-release would push it over, but it's not something I've paid much attention to lately.
Probably another 2-3 weeks, I just came out of a showing and it was surprising 1/4 full, and it was with a bunch of people who somehow haven't seen it yet, seeing everyone react to everything great.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
The writers had no idea how to reconstruct the chemistry between will & tommy so they just wrote two wacky leads and an always-present talking mascot making faces at each other for two hours. The comedy is a complete disaster of the trio firing one liners like it was a Paul Feig joint. There's no art to it, no discipline in the writing, just 'tell jokes till something lands.'

This is probably explained by what were apparently consistent rewriters by multiple people on set, including one of the producers and dialog coaches for the leads.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
West Side Story is up in the air if it will be a hit but I'm hyped for a Spielberg musical. Plus I was hoping ansel elgort would be cast since baby Driver and it's nice that they went with it

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All theater counts updated:

inPNrWk.png

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some investor didn't realize the success of Lucy was a total and inexplicable, unrepeatable fluke.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Some investor didn't realize the success of Lucy was a total and inexplicable, unrepeatable fluke.

Lucy made over $400WW!!! What!! I never even saw it till it was on HBO or something.. I don't remember it having great word of mouth or anything.. how did that happen? (obviously people buying tickets.. but I digress..)

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Venom 2 is gonna crush West Side Story, c'mon now bros

Hell, Morbius will crush West Side Story

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. Doesn't seem like anybody was clamoring for a reboot and Hemsworth is pretty much box office poison outside the MCU so it's not doing that all things considered I think. I doubt Sony goes ahead with a sequel but you never know. WB is going ahead with a tomb raider sequel and that didn't do that great either.
They'd need to reboot it if there's a sequel, a la Ghostbusters 2020. 21 Jump Street x Men in Black would be radical enough to work.

Oct 25, 2017
West Side Story is up in the air if it will be a hit but I'm hyped for a Spielberg musical. Plus I was hoping ansel elgort would be cast since baby Driver and it's nice that they went with it
Oh shit I didn't know he was gonna be in it.

I am looking forward to Elegort's new movie The Goldfinch almost exclusively for that Roger Deakins cinematography

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I saw Mary Poppins Returns, a lot of people just left theater half way through. That old school type of song did not play well with my audience, plus translation of lyrics kind of a mess.

My wife was very excited by MPR and she was bored. The kids liked it even less. I was thankfully spared that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.