• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Anyone expect a easy path for Mulan in China is in rude awakening. Mulan's actress is very famous for being ... a box office poision.
Why thay call it Didney's Mulan and trip all classic Disney elements, I'm not sure what so special about this one. Because The are numbers of movies and tv shows about Hua Mulan in the past 20 years.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Some investor didn't realize the success of Lucy was a total and inexplicable, unrepeatable fluke.
Not totally inexplicable.

It was audiences saying they wanted a Scarlett Johansson-lead Black Widow movie, even when Marvel wasn't making one. Lucy came out a few months after The Winter Soldier co-starring Johansson doing straight up spy stuff and that was probably the peak of the demand to see more of that character following IM2 and The Avengers.

It definitely doesn't seem like Lucy's success was strictly due to Besson.

I could see the Black Widow movie doing somewhere in the $700-800M range knowing nothing else about it assuming it's just a straight forward origin/prequel story.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Trump must be a marvel fanboy. He started this whole trade war just to make sure avatar 2 didn't do better than endgame

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Maybe misremembering but dont film studios only get a tiny cut of what their pictures make in China?

Will ruin all the BO dick measuring tho

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to say right now, I think people are underestimating how Black Widow will perform.

I'm not going to bet $1 Billion, but I think it's going to do better than people think.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
China government did not ban American actors appearing in Chinese films.
The studios themselves did because they fear a ban from the government will be placed in the future.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Maybe misremembering but dont film studios only get a tiny cut of what their pictures make in China?

Will ruin all the BO dick measuring tho
The actual amount of profit is worse than anywhere else but 25% of something is better than nothing and it makes the WW numbers look more impressive for blockbusters for fan boy wars.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I like Power Rangers 2017 and completely forgot Billy was the Red Ranger.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, the drop this week wasn't that bad but next week it'll likely drop to its lowest count of its run. Still, $4.5-4.7M for this week is pretty good and it should be right around $851.5M by the end of Sunday.
Do we know how many countries are left to start the re-release run?

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Damn I liked the power rangers movie cast even though the suits and zords were horrible. Hope the new ones not too much of a step down.

Also, Naomi Scott's pink Ranger <3

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
berzeli why is Last Week in Marienbad getting a rerelease and how many film nerds will put it as their film of the year?
New 4K restoration. And they unfucked the rights situation, which is why it's also now available on blu-ray in the US again (with a hideous cover).

In fairness, it's one of the best films of all time. So all the 12 film nerds who don't know how years work, and has neglected to watch it earlier will put it on their list.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Power Rangers was such a dull movie. There's like 30 seconds literally of them in their suits fighting and it was entirely in the trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.