• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman doesn't count?

Even Shazam didn't do terrible, and at least it reviewed well
Everyone had hopes that Shazam would make at least $500M. It's not a big budget movie but it's still a major DC movie.
The Lion King remake is the highest grossing animated movie of all time. I don't think animated films in America are in the best shape creatively.
It's just a bad year. On the other hand, animated TV shows are getting better and better.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
A better comparison is perhaps mission impossible fallout which had a 178 mil budget and brought in 791 worldwide. That is considered a successful movie. I think Hobbs and Shaw needs to 800 to also be considered a resounding success. It definitely needs to get above 500 mil to be considered successful

Edit: I think they gave it the normal level of marketing, so I don't think marketing budget was equal to production. You don't spend 200 mil and then not push that, you're trying to make a franchise

I guess you're right. It all just sounds so.. stupid in a way. Yes you have a successful multi billion dollar ensamble franchise. You wanna make a spin off featuring a hot actor right now. So you try and market it as some superhero movie that has little to nothing to do with the main franchise and give it a budget that says "I'm sure this will get in 700m at least."

How does a good producer/studio jump from one to the other? Especially when the next iteration of your successful franchise was planned to come out this year - and you pushed it for this?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was right to call The Lion King Disney's biggest remake ever 😏 $1.5b floor $1.6b ceiling. Bookmark it.
Aside from the usual doubters who think the hate on niche sites like this will somehow spread to the GA, was there any legitimate doubt? Even with reviews and early impressions, a vast majority of predictions seemed to assume this would easily be the best performing remake by far. Hell, there were prominent bets on BOT as to whether or not it would surpass Titanic WW.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I guess you're right. It all just sounds so.. stupid in a way. Yes you have a successful multi billion dollar ensamble franchise. You wanna make a spin off featuring a hot actor right now. So you try and market it as some superhero movie that has little to nothing to do with the main franchise and give it a budget that says "I'm sure this will get in 700m at least."

How does a good producer/studio jump from one to the other? Especially when the next iteration of your successful franchise was planned to come out this year - and you pushed it for this?

Hollywood makes stupid decisions all the time. Not to always bring things back to deadpool, but that movie never even should have happened. And it ended up being crazy ROI for the budget. And then you have the lone Ranger movie with Depp in white face, which is like uhhh okay? Because to execs ANY known property even if forgotten for literally decades with absolutely zero media has more value than something new

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dora and the Lost City of Gold is absolutely incredible. Good hearted and defiantly positive and enthusiastic without being obnoxious about it. As far as adventure films go I am struggling to think of a better one from recent times. No "good for a kids move" qualifiers needed, this movie is just straight up incredible. Legit one of my favorite movies of the year which is not something I expected going in. 2019 has been fucking nuts.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
black panther about to get booted out of the all time top 10 :(

half of the top 10 being MCU was fun while it lasted

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Black Widow will get at least $200 Million domestic and $600 worldwide. I don't know if it goes too far over that, but Disney and Marvel know how to market these movies now. It's not doing sub $200.

I'm expecting somewhere between Wasp and Strange 1. It won't be the film that breaks the box office, but it'll do reasonably well.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I shouldnt have made my post about seeing Hobbs and Shaw in the last thread right before we moved on lol. So Im just gonna copy and paste below.

I didnt like it much. It seemed like they didnt have an idea for a film other than stretching out rock and Jason's scenes in fate to over 2 hours. And it just didnt work for me.

The humour pretty much all falls flat. The movie is way too long. And what's up with the night and day and weather rapid changes in the 3rd act it was distracting lol.

I dont know, I know it's not a fast film it's a spin off but it didnt feel anything like one of the films. It was just missing the heart and funny enough the earnestness. It felt more like a generic rock vanity project.

I like Idris but he just didnt get enough to do. He wasnt very fleshed out.

My biggest let down of the year to be honest.

But I did get a pleasant surprise in that the opening song was by yungblud (the artist in my avi) which was cool. I saw him last year at a hole in the wall club playing for like 25 people.

4/10

If I was ranking it in the fast films it would be near the bottom, if not the worst for me.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
aquaman, wonder woman and suicide squad overperformed. suicide squad made more than man of steel lol

man of steel, bvs, justice league, shazam underperformed

not sure if any of them did legit "awful". everyone jizzing over john wick 3's box office run this year... and shazam beat that.

these superhero movies operate at an entirely other level. batman v superman is considered disappointing with $873 million because the Avengers movies nearly double that number.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
aquaman, wonder woman and suicide squad overperformed. suicide squad made more than man of steel lol

not sure if any of them did legit "awful". everyone jizzing over john wick 3's box office run this year... and shazam beat that.

these superhero movies operate at an entirely other level. batman v superman is considered disappointing with $873 million because the Avengers movies nearly double that number.
Batman v. Superman disappointed because despite having two of the most popular superheroes of all time, a $250m budget, the then 4th biggest global opening and a $166m domestic opening, and the last 2 solo Batman movies clearing $1b years earlier, it limped out a sub-2.0 domestic multiplier, a global total below not one, not two, but four talking animal movies that year, and a 7th place overall finish worldwide and 8th domestically for the year.

I mean, Dark Knight was still the highest grossing solo hero film domestically until Black Panther, and they somehow made a film that earned substantially less by adding more highly popular heroes. It wasn't just "not up to Avengers expectations", it was literally the anti-Avengers.

It was a disappointment because for all the things in its favor, if properly managed it *should* have done Avengers money.

(And then Justice League went and one-upped it, lol.)

Also, John Wick vs. Shazam is a poor comparison, considering budget-to-budget and an R rating.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I cant picture Tom Holland as Drake whatsoever. But we shall see. Sounds like it will be nothing like the games anyway and hey maybe it will be good who knows.

But I know I will be there opening weekend regardless if it ever actually comes out.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
Wow H&S was #1 2 weekends in a row, what an incredible movie and a massive success that I have definitely seen
what-a-mark-2-o.gif

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
whats Once Upon a Time in Hollywood doing internationally? I sort of assume it doesn't have a ton of appeal outside of America.
It's coming out this week over here (Netherlands) and it's pretty much the most anticipated movie of the summer, with almost every cinema doing Tarantino retrospectives of some sort.

I think you underestimate the power of Tarantino's name. No one is talking about what the movie is actually about, everybody is talking about the new Tarantino.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017

suicide squad underperformed imo, the marketring really resonated and hit with people , it really could have made a billi if the movie itself was better

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
All they need to do for a good uncharted movie is channel the Brendan Fraser mummy movies. Seriously, everyone says uncharted is like Indiana Jones, hell no. Nathan Drake is basically Brendan Fraser's character in the mummy. Right down to the holster setup and smartassness

Nov 1, 2017
Oh, btw Dumbo ended it's theatrical run with $352 Million

Total Gross: 352,976,310
Budget: $170 Million

US Gross: $114,766,307
Opening Weekend: $45,990,748
2.49 Multiplier

International Gross: $238,210,003
Opening Weekend: $71 Million

Top 5 International Markets:
UK: $32 Million
China: $21 Million
Mexico: $21 Million
France: $17 Million
Spain: $16 Million

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Kind of random I am watching the new version of Murder on the orient Express.

It's taking way too long for the next film for how successful this one was at the box office. Have they even started filming death on the Nile yet? Will Disney keep making these

Even though it was a bit perfunctory I still quite liked this film.

Nov 1, 2017

It's taking way too long for the next film for how successful this one was at the box office. Have they even started filming death on the Nile yet? Will Disney keep making these

Some guy on r/movies made a comprehensive list of fox movie projects that Disney is cancelling.

Death on the Nile is still "In Pre-Production".

"Pre-production" movies are less likely to be scrapped since money has already been committed to doing those things. But it's still possible

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017

Kenneth Branagh originally had 3 directed movies scheduled for this year before 2 of them got pushed, not to mention his acting. Man's busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.