• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

QUlu5Lp.png

PSqq3JM.png

P9iGmcb.png

6bMcJXv.png

6ZTFV36.png

How Universal Is Reviving The R-Rated Comedy & Making 'Good Boys' Great At The B.O. With A $21M Opening – Sunday Update

With comedies long-believed dead at the box office and gobbled up by streaming, here comes an R-rated raunchy one that shows the genre has a pulse. Yes, there was A Madea Family Funeral back in March that opened to $27M. But we're talking original comedies here, and Universal can lay claim in the comedy drought that the genre is one of their core competencies. The studio owns the biggest original comedy openings of the past three years with Good Boys, Blockers ($20.55M), Night School ($27.2M) and Girls Trips ($31.2M). In these times of haves and have nots at the box office, typically moviegoers have been getting their comedy fix in tentpole genre hybrids like Deadpool and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle.

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Angry Birds doesn't have one in the hand and none in the bush. The first movie was kinda of late, this one is hilla late, Angry birds is old enough to almost wrap around back to nostalgia

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Kinda of a shame Angry Birds 2 didn't perform that well given the good reviews. They waited way too late for the sequel.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think Hobbs and Shaw would have made more money if Statham was paired with giant shark.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
More proof that Angery Birbs is deader than disco

Man, at Bernadette BO, I feel bad for Richard Linklater and Annapurna could file for bankruptcy soon

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm guessing Hobbs and Shaw is going to end up a lot below the last few F&F films? Anyone know what its final take is looking like, roughly?

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
The Farewell is still hanging in there, really love that it broke out the way it did

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is still staying over Inglourious which I really didn't expect from it.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette, more like Where'd You Go, Box Office Earnings.

Blinded By the Light opened real soft, maybe if it had opened Yesterday... take a bad realse date and make it better

Seaking of soft, Luce getting lost amongst all the other late summer releases expanded soft, and Aquarela opened on the softer side considering how much I have raised my expectations of docus

Fin de siglo (End of the Century) took home the top PTA, did decently considering what it is.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Holy fuck at that Where'd You Go Bernadette bomb. Budget over $20mil per Deadline, stars Cate Blanchett, directed by Linklater...not even $3.5mil on a wide release opening weekend

When is the last time Angry Birds was actually relevant?
They put out a VR game earlier this year!

Yeah, it's pretty much been a bunch of spinoffs since its heyday, including numerous match 3 games. It feels like this movie was greenlit less on the basis of the strength of the franchise and more on the fact that the first film was quite profitable ($352 million WW gross on a $73 million budget) and they spent less on this one. Woopsie daisy!

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
also why did bernadette open in 2400 theaters in mid August. who thought any part of that was a good idea.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Happy for Good Boys
2. Angry Birds fate is sealed, no more angry Birds.
3. The Lion King will finish between $1.5b-$1.6b

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck at that Where'd You Go Bernadette bomb. Budget over $20mil per Deadline, stars Cate Blanchett, directed by Linklater...not even $3.5mil on a wide release opening weekend
The article Vulture put out on it was... illuminating.
In Maria Semple's best-selling 2012 novel Where'd You Go, Bernadette, the titular heroine Bernadette Fox goes missing — for hundreds of pages. With her teenage daughter Bee (the book's narrator) and her genius tech-bro husband Elgin mystified as to her whereabouts, the story pieces together Bernadette's character through letters, emails, FBI documents, and even emergency-room bills. Bernadette is, in short, absent from large portions of a novel bearing her name.

When it came to adapting Bernadette into a movie, however, writer-director Richard Linklater took a decidedly different approach. In his movie, the misanthropic former architect (played by Cate Blanchett) is almost never not onscreen. In a drastic departure from the novel's central conceit, the viewer faces precisely zero uncertainty about Bernadette's location for all but one brief scene, in which she jumps out of a bathroom window. "We can't have our protagonist be gone from the movie for 35, 40 minutes — she's the story," Linklater says. "Bee doesn't know where Bernadette is. Elgie doesn't know. So it's still the story; you're just given more privilege. To me, her journey is really what it's all about."
"I was getting a little frustrated because the film had been finished a while," Linklater says. "But I quickly thought, Oh, they're not kicking the can.Because we didn't have trouble. We didn't reshoot anything. We didn't have bad test screenings. None of that. It was a symbol that they really cared about the movie
One of our sources close to the film, however, puts it differently: "There were unsuccessful research screenings last summer. Like, terrible: 'This movie's a mess.' The plan was for them to fix it. They were working with Richard. But nobody could tell Richard what to do."

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They put out a VR game earlier this year!

Yeah, it's pretty much been a bunch of spinoffs since its heyday, including numerous match 3 games. It feels like this movie was greenlit less on the basis of the strength of the franchise and more on the fact that the first film was quite profitable ($352 million WW gross on a $73 million budget) and they spent less on this one. Woopsie daisy!
They had the Star Wars license at one point! And now they've been reduced to this. Wonder if this is the end for them or do those match 3 games make enough money for them to float by?

also why did bernadette open in 2400 theaters in mid August. who thought any part of that was a good idea.
Annapurna is incapable of having good ideas these days, but it seems clear that they've been trying to dump it since it's been delayed numerous times over the past year and change. I think they knew they had a stinker on their hands and didn't know what to do with it.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Worth noting that Hobbs & Shaw doesn't open in China until next weekend. You put the Rock in pretty much anything and it makes mad money over there.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I heard Bernadette was good though so I'm guessing it's just another Annapurna film that should have opened away from the summer.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Surprised that that "Good Boys" movie is No. 1. Maybe it was the trailers but that movie looks really dumb.

And wow, Lion King nearly at $500 million. Not really interested in the remake, but I may watch it when it eventually comes to cable.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised that that "Good Boys" movie is No. 1. Maybe it was the trailers but that movie looks really dumb.

And wow, Lion King nearly at $500 million. Not really interested in the remake, but I may watch it when it eventually comes to cable.
Better than Superbad, not as good as Booksmart

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Remember when both Good Boys and Booksmart trailers came out at the same time and with the same Run the Jewels song?

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Why did they decide to release Hobbs and Shaw so late in China? Was there another movie out?

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
That... Doesn't seem so great for a movie with its budget
Has it opened in all major markets? No big ones waiting in the wings by this point, yeah?
It hasn't opened in China, which is a prime market for both Statham and the Rock. But yeah, it's going to fall well short of the last few movies in that franchise. Furious 8 hit $500M worldwide on its opening weekend alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.