• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
If Hobbs and Shaw is indeed on track for $800 million it fees like the doom and gloom in this thread in recent weeks (including today's thread) is perhaps a bit excessive.

Still early and it opened lower than it probably should have for a horror film, but it had very little marketing presence compared to stuff like Blumhouse does which they blast with marketing. Maybe they were very conservative with the advertising budget too which might help but they still have to cover P&A so if anything it might be very little in the profit.
It's an unusual project for Fox Searchlight since they rarely do out-and-out genre pictures to begin with, but yeah, the smaller budget should help it squeak by with a little bit of money.

I do not know how the rest of their 2019 is slate is going to fare in terms of box office, but hopefully the trio of Lucy in the Sky, Jojo Rabbit and A Hidden Life (they're only distributing that one, but they paid a pretty penny for those rights) get the awards movement they need to help keep Searchlight in theaters.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
There was like zero marketing for Ready or Not. I hope it stays in my local theater at least until I get back from my trip next week.

The hell is Overcomer?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
You think with the WoM that Ready Or Not would draw better but nah that didn't happen

You still need a good amount of people to go see the movie to actually spread WoM. The reviews and WoM are there, but it's a small picture and didn't get the same kind of media blasting that films like Blumhouse puts out. I didn't see a trailer for it till a month ago

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
pf3QI60.gif
Best new gif I've seen in a while

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
So I see that the answer was "Not", RIP Searchlight 😢

Brittany Runs a Marathon opened decently but I don't think it's gonna do that much in the end.

OUATIH overtaking Inglourious was not something I expected, and it's doing good internationall as well (via Deadline)
After a sensational debut last weekend, Sony/Bona's Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood added $28M from 55 markets. The overseas cume is now $116.6M for $239.8M globally. Quentin Tarantino's celebration of 1969 LA was No. 1 this session in 23 holdover markets, including France, the UK, Germany and Spain. It was also tops in five new hubs that include Mexico for QT's best-ever start there, at $2.4M.

Other than that, fairly dull weekend.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Hobbs And Shaw's domestic gross was expected. F8 dropped off massively from F7 and there was no way this wouldn't have a similarly big drop-off. The series just doesn't have any real teeth in the US of A unless an actor dies and there's a top charting song.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe Disney are already so close. Are there any truly realistic scenarios, at this point, where they don't hit $10 billion?
Unless something cataclysmic happens that make people stop going to the movies, I can't see that happening. Frozen 2 and SW9 should get Disney to 10b by themselves, and they could fly past that if Maleficent 2 is decent and gets good WOM.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I vaguely remember seeing a trailer for Overcomer over a year ago. It didn't have a release date, just a website where churches could reserve showtimes in advance.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel Disney will hit $10b with Maleficent 2/Frozen 2. With Starwars it'll go past $11b, wether that's before or after the new year remains to be seen.

Oct 30, 2017
Thread title got me confused since Hobbs and Saw is estimated to make $700-$800 million worldwide (the kinds of numbers the Hollywood Reporter said it needed to be a success) at its current trajectory, only 3rd to Fast 7 and 8 if it reaches the later. This week's drop from last isn't even a hard drop.

It's easy to forget that Fast is more massive internationally than domestically, Fast 8 despite making over a billion didn't actually gross it's production budget domestically.

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
TLK at $1.5b, that flew me by. I'm surprised Maleficent did $700m, I thought it was more of a $300m movie.

I'm very glad H&S is doing well ww.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Christian preachy movie
I'm always disappointed to see these things chart. I remember British reviewer Mark Kermode reviewing Breakthrough and just sounding incredulous about how flagrantly pious the film was in its portrayal of incredulous doctors who spoke in awe of such a miracle that could only be an act of god and how such a tone was specifically American.

Like, sure, Christian movies. But do they have to be so aggressive toward non-Christians. No one can enjoy these movies except a specific subsect of the already faithful but I guess that's enough to be profitable so there's no incentive to not be that on the nose.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea a new ______ Has Fallen movie had even been announced, let alone released.

Can't believe Disney are already so close. Are there any truly realistic scenarios, at this point, where they don't hit $10 billion?

Frozen 2 and Skywalker would need to be delayed to next year or WW3 begins and movie theaters close down.

Status
Not open for further replies.