• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

What an interesting weekend.

With the CBS-Viacom merger on the horizon, the Tiffany network's film label, CBS Films — which will shutter its theatrical arm later this year — is opening its penultimate film, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, to a near-record $20.84M for the distrib. At the same time, CBS Films bests its soon-to-be big brother Paramount's Dora and the Lost City of Gold, which is looking at a meh $17.1M opening.

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE
weekend_chart.JPG

INTERNATIONAL BOX OFFICE

The Lion King- $1.335b
Toy Story 4- $990.0m
Hobbs & Shaw- $332.6m

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So I take it Dora is actually worth watching? Didn't really enjoy Hobbs and Shaw when I watched it a couple of days ago.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
$10.6 worldwide this weekend for Spidey ($5.3m dom and $5.3m overseas)

$371m dom
$726m overseas
= $1.097b worldwide

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So i figured TLK would thin out and die by now. But does this mean it has legs? I thought it was a poorly reviewed borefest?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Tlk was so bad. No emotion from the animals. It was far less offensive than Aladdin, which surprised me

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
So i figured TLK would thin out and die by now. But does this mean it has legs? I thought it was a poorly reviewed borefest?

It's very bad, but it has the songs and the story so obviously will resonate through sheer firepower of nostalgia. But some thought it would contend for biggest movie of all time so it is not quite there.

May 10, 2018
What made you think that? It's only been out 4 weeks and its not like there has been much competition. It didn't get amazing reviews but it wasn't on a Batman vs Superman level. Unless it was straight up terrible it was always going to make a lot of money.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What made you think that? It's only been out 4 weeks and its not like there has been much competition. It didn't get amazing reviews but it wasn't on a Batman vs Superman level. Unless it was straight up terrible it was always going to make a lot of money.
Horrible Word of mouth + poorly reviewed are bed fellows.

And weve all saw what a dangerous mix that is.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So Hobbs and Shaw is doing okay?
With the upcoming start in China there should be 100m on top of where ever it is then.

Should become the Rock's second most successful movie after Jumanji?
Not that I'm particularly interested in the movie itself but being added in movie 5 of a franchise and getting your own successful spin off after than isn't a thing that happens often I guess.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it Paramount. I knew this was going to happen. That second trailer premiered in theaters first and when it went online finally I didn't even realize until a few weeks later.

Hell, marketing was non-existent until last week.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
With the upcoming start in China there should be 100m on top of where ever it is then.

Not that I'm particularly interested in the movie itself but being added in movie 5 of a franchise and getting your own successful spin off after than isn't a thing that happens often I guess.
Furious 7 and Fate of the Furious don't count?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
whats Once Upon a Time in Hollywood doing internationally? I sort of assume it doesn't have a ton of appeal outside of America.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't say I'm surprised the Dora movie is doing decent at the box office and well critically and with word of mouth. Trailers looked absolutely fine, never understood the hate, seems people forget the target audience of so many films these days.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going to see Scary Stories shortly. DC can't release any movie without underperforming it seems

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you imagine if someone had made an avatar bet thread about Lion King not making at least 1.3 billion?

Double

Nov 1, 2017

Success is debatable with that 200$ mio budget though.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That Dora movie poster isn't doing them any favors. How's Scary Stories? The trailer looked nice.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Wow H&S was #1 2 weekends in a row, what an incredible movie and a massive success that I have definitely seen

Status
Not open for further replies.