• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Success is debatable with that 200$ mio budget though.

That's true. I'm also not sure where it'll come out in the end. China is still coming and the franchise is usually successful there. It might go to 500 after all which is still not that much considering the budget.

No idea why they thought they needed 200m for this spin off though. But I guess it's out of. The flop territory - even if it's not gonna be a breakout hit.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In case you missed it, I did a big write-up on the development hell of Artemis Fowl, which was originally scheduled to release this week, click here to read up on it.

And for those of you expecting the usual chart, here you go.

FdZzC1S.jpg

Toy Story will be passing the 1 Billion Mark and probably Aladdin as well by next weekend, making for Disney's 5th Billion Dollar grossing film this year. And considering the only over film to cross the billion this year is Spiderman: Far From Home, which they probably have some share in as well. Disney are eating well this year.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
H&S isn't doing as much as I would have thought. It's still got China where I'm sure it'll make a ton of money but I can only see it doing around $550 million in its lifetime. Which isn't bad, but certainly a lot less than Universal was hoping for what with it's $200+ million budget.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
It's very bad, but it has the songs and the story so obviously will resonate through sheer firepower of nostalgia. But some thought it would contend for biggest movie of all time so it is not quite there.
From what I've heard it's basically a 1:1 of the OG movie but in "La realistic ...!" animals. Which is why I decided not to see it, no point in seeing something thats the same as something I've seen in 2d.

If the OG is a good movie and this has the same story and songs then I don't see how it can be a borefest.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Inflated ego syndrome, if you ask me.

Might be - but they couldn't really expect this to go all the way to a billion. There was just no way that was gonna happen. I don't really get why a Spin-Off of an ensamble franchise starring one money maker (that also best works in an ensemble) and one guy that's a little past his prime would need more than - lets say 120-130m. And I also don't see The Rock and Statham getting 10+m for this thing.

But these are all based on a hunch, maybe I'm waay off.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Might be - but they couldn't really expect this to go all the way to a billion. There was just no way that was gonna happen. I don't really get why a Spin-Off of an ensamble franchise starring one money maker (that also best works in an ensemble) and one guy that's a little past his prime would need more than - lets say 120-130m. And I also don't see The Rock and Statham getting 10+m for this thing.

But these are all based on a hunch, maybe I'm waay off.
I could see them getting $20M each

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Endgame was going to re-release on other countries on August?

International numbers haven't been updated at all.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Far From Home is doing fantastic, was looking at predictions a lil while back and it's crazy what some of them were, some had it doing less than a Homecoming. I think the stink is off Spidey now and each film may just be a lock for a billion if it's good. And this is just with people like Shocker, Vulture and Mysterio. Imagine how big they can be when Norman and maybe Symbiotes get introduced.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Far From Home is doing fantastic, was looking at predictions a lil while back and it's crazy what some of them were, some had it doing less than a Homecoming. I think the stink is off Spidey now and each film may just be a lock for a billion if it's good. And this is just with people like Shocker, Vulture and Mysterio. Imagine how big they can be when Norman and maybe Symbiotes get introduced.

Imagine Tom Hardy yelling at Tom Holland about how he's the best Tom and then diving headfirst into an aquarium

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else annoyed by the trend of biopics just named after the subject? And they have the most boring names imaginable. Brian Banks, Megan Leavey, etc. At least make the minimal effort to give your movie a real name!

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
That's true. I'm also not sure where it'll come out in the end. China is still coming and the franchise is usually successful there. It might go to 500 after all which is still not that much considering the budget.

No idea why they thought they needed 200m for this spin off though. But I guess it's out of. The flop territory - even if it's not gonna be a breakout hit.

$500 million would not be a good return. Rule of thumb is marketing is equal to budget. So really it cost $400 million, not to mention if a good chunk is from China...they get a significantly smaller percentage of the "gate" than they do in other market. Compare it to other action movies....and the return on investment is actually really bad. Honestly the more I think about it the worse it's getting. Things like John Wich and deadpool dwarf it in ROI. And those are rated R which are "supposed" to have lesser audiences

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
$500 million would not be a good return. Rule of thumb is marketing is equal to budget. So really it cost $400 million, not to mention if a good chunk is from China...they get a significantly smaller percentage of the "gate" than they do in other market. Compare it to other action movies....and the return on investment is actually really bad. Honestly the more I think about it the worse it's getting. Things like John Wich and deadpool dwarf it in ROI. And those are rated R which are "supposed" to have lesser audiences
What is John Wick 3's roi if I may ask?

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
What is John Wick 3's roi if I may ask?

55 mil budget 321 mil return, although I see someone beat that. For context, Hobbs and Shaw needs to make 800 mil to have a similiar ROI. As of now (if things hold), you'd walk away with more money in your pocket if you back Wick than h and s as a moneyman, And on a much lower upfront investment

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
55 mil budget 321 mil return, although I see someone beat that. For context, Hobbs and Shaw needs to make 800 mil to have a similiar ROI. As of now (if things hold), you'd walk away with more money in your pocket if you back Wick than h and s as a moneyman, And on a much lower upfront investment
Damn. John Wick really is the upset of this year. It and Disney seem to be the big winners of the summer.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well, yeah - you're right. comparing it to those two movies when they're around 50m in budget seems a bit unfair though. This would be more in line with a pirates movie or Marvel or something Warner puts out.

I guess it's not a mega flop and might still break even, but do you really think they pushed the marketing budget that hard on this movie when they knew the international audience was the biggest part of it? Especially with the china cut? I can't imagine they miscalculated that hard.

Oct 28, 2017
The Lion King remake is the highest grossing animated movie of all time. I don't think animated films in America are in the best shape creatively.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Well, yeah - you're right. comparing it to those two movies when they're around 50m in budget seems a bit unfair though. This would be more in line with a pirates movie or Marvel or something Warner puts out.

I guess it's not a mega flop and might still break even, but do you really think they pushed the marketing budget that hard on this movie when they knew the international audience was the biggest part of it? Especially with the china cut? I can't imagine they miscalculated that hard.

A better comparison is perhaps mission impossible fallout which had a 178 mil budget and brought in 791 worldwide. That is considered a successful movie. I think Hobbs and Shaw needs to 800 to also be considered a resounding success. It definitely needs to get above 500 mil to be considered successful

Edit: I think they gave it the normal level of marketing, so I do think marketing budget was equal to production. You don't spend 200 mil and then not push that, you're trying to make a franchise

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.