• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I dont think Kenneth Branagh has the time for some rando detective series since he has to direct Artemis Fowl sequels for year to come.

OP
OP
Rvaan

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I given a lot of thought about this, Dumbo just didn't have the pop culture cache to warrant a live action movie. Going forward I bet you will see them be a lot more picky on which ones they do .
There's a reason Lady and the Tramp is on Disney+ and not going to theaters.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I given a lot of thought about this, Dumbo just didn't have the pop culture cache to warrant a live action movie. Going forward I bet you will see them be a lot more picky on which ones they do .

I feel like we said that about Disney after they made Pete's Dragon and Alice 2, but then they went and made Dumbo...so I don't know. I'd rather them focus their efforts elsewhere and really don't understand how a big(ger) budget Tim Burton remake of a movie with a silent flying elephant gets green lit these days.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I went to the theater to see Dumbo not some crappy circus drama. I understand they wanted to have some new nice modern messages to it. But by adding new dozen characters they sacrificed many classic scenes and took away Dumbo's spotlight himself.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we said that about Disney after they made Pete's Dragon and Alice 2, but then they went and made Dumbo...so I don't know. I'd rather them focus their efforts elsewhere and really don't understand how a big(ger) budget Tim Burton remake of a movie with a silent flying elephant gets green lit these days.
Have Tim Burton is old hollywood, he had a few hits in a past so he can always find big budget work if he wants it. Dumbo was probably too far long for them to stop.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Have Tim Burton is old hollywood, he had a few hits in a past so he can always find big budget work if he wants it. Dumbo was probably too far long for them to stop.

You're absolutely right. He's set to do Beetlejuice 2 now, which will most likely bomb because it's a franchise stuck in the 80s/90s era of film. Kids aren't going to want to see a horror comedy that's not really funny and isn't scary at all...yet here we are.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I went to the theater to see Dumbo not some crappy circus drama. I understand they wanted to have some new nice modern messages to it. But by adding new dozen characters they sacrificed many classic scenes and took away Dumbo's spotlight himself.
I haven't seen Dumbo, but I imagine it's extremely on-brand for Tim Burton. You kinda know what to expect with him. He's incapable of shooting anything else.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
You're absolutely right. He's set to do Beetlejuice 2 now, which will most likely bomb because it's a franchise stuck in the 80s/90s era of film. Kids aren't going to want to see a horror comedy that's not really funny and isn't scary at all...yet here we are.
It's really a relic of a pass, you don't see that much anymore. Josh Trank had a big hit but he fucked up with Fant4stic, 20 ago Chronicle would have set him up for life.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hollywood makes stupid decisions all the time. Not to always bring things back to deadpool, but that movie never even should have happened. And it ended up being crazy ROI for the budget. And then you have the lone Ranger movie with Depp in white face, which is like uhhh okay? Because to execs ANY known property even if forgotten for literally decades with absolutely zero media has more value than something new

It's interesting how for example the Rock is trying to control the narrative though:

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017

But where's the balance then? Folks complain when the remakes are carbon copies, and folks complain when they change too much and it's not the same movie.

I guess something like Jungle Book where it keeps to the original but mixes it up and adds some new elements, but honestly I wonder if it'd still be received the same today. Personally I prefer stuff like Dumbo or Pete's Dragon where they just completely reinvent the property because, well, I already saw the original.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I think the only "lesser" Disney IP that might be able to side step the issue is Hercules. Man the casting for the Muses could be some fire.
I was just watching Hercules last night on Freeform and man Beyonce seems like she would be perfect lead Muse. I'd also accept Jennifer Hudson or Janelle Monae.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Is it like Marmaduke then?
3239.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.