• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
So what are the odds of jumanji next level hitting a billion? I thought the last movie making 962 million was a one and done kinda thing but it seems like this new one has a lot of buzz as well.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Why you trying to bring this evil back to these threads?
giphy.gif

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I think if TROS is closer to TFA in terms of being a crowdpleaser that lends itself more to multiple viewings than TLJ, it kills or at least cripples Jumanji's legs.

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Jumani ate well off being a family-friendly comedy that also could appeal to an adult audience. TLJ doing well or not didn't matter, it was perfect counter-programming (by accident or design).

That said, I don't think the sequel touches it.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing about Hobbs and Shaw is that with it looking at about a $600-$700m WW total it would have been quite a success IF it didn't cost $200m to make.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's say Hobbs & Shaw does $700m WW. Factoring it's $200m budget, it's safe to say that it's making at least $100m-$200m in profit and if I were an accountant I'd say that positive money is still positive money.

Now, will this make the studio check themselves next time around for the sequel? Of course.

If it does indeed end up making $700m WW, relative to it's budget and Fast 5's budget and WW total ($125m/$626m) then H&S will be just as profitable as Fast 5. The difference being $75m in budget vs box office total between the two. This will make H&S the 4th biggest entry in the Fast & Furious familia.

With that said, let's hope it does at least $700m.

Receipts:

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I think it depends on how well received Star Wars is.

Jumanji ate well off the audience reception to TLJ.
I don't think there was too much overlap between the audiences for TLJ and Jumanji. One is from a nerd franchise and the other is a family film.

What surprises me still are the legs of Jumanji and The Greatest Showman. Those movies just kept going and going and didn't stop. Coco was the same, that movie came out at the start of November in a lot of latin american markets and it was still having sold out showings well into February.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Let's say Hobbs & Shaw does $700m WW. Factoring it's $200m budget, it's safe to say that it's making at least $100m-$200m in profit and if I were an accountant I'd say that positive money is still positive money.

Now, will this make the studio check themselves next time around for the sequel? Of course.

If it does indeed end up making $700m WW, relative to it's budget and Fast 5's budget and WW total ($125m/$626m) then H&S will be just as profitable as Fast 5. The difference being $75m in budget vs box office total between the two. This will make H&S the 4th biggest entry in the Fast & Furious familia.

With that said, let's hope it does at least $700m.

Receipts:

The $200M is just the production budget, you also have to factor in the $100-150M they probably spent marketing it. And since the breakdown of that $700M would be something like $150M dom/$200M China/$350M ROW, you're looking at $75M + $50M + $140M = $260M going back to the studio. Which is enough that it makes its money back once you include home video/streaming, so it isn't a bomb, but it's not really success either.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
The $200M is just the production budget, you also have to factor in the $100-150M they probably spent marketing it. And since the breakdown of that $700M would be something like $150M dom/$200M China/$350M ROW, you're looking at $75M + $50M + $140M = $260M going back to the studio. Which is enough that it makes its money back once you include home video/streaming, so it isn't a bomb, but it's not really success either.
Deadline said with P + A it cost $360M

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
H&S sequel seriously needs a budget cut. Not so sure what it will do to The Rock's fragile ego if they try to cut his salary.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I laughed hard seeing cliff curtis in Hobbs and Shaw playing a samoan. Dude has played like every race/ethnicity known to man.

Oct 31, 2017
Just saw Familia. I am glad they are embracing the whole super hero thing to be honest. They were trying to kinda hard it before, but now they are going all in on it.....but part of me still wishes there was something about car chases and stuff.

A lot of the jokes did not land for me though. I also think that:

Ryan Reynolds is Deadpool to me now. Whenever dude was joking and whatnot all I heard was Wade Wilson. I am not sure if he doesn't have range or what, but yeah.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Saw Scary Stories tonight. It's... not great. About as bland as an average goosebumps episode. Wouldn't expect anything special from the legs.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Why are people shocked Lion King is doing so well? It's Lion King, one of the biggest movies of the 90s. It was a sure thing.

H&S's performance doesn't surprise me at all. Diminishing returns coming off of Fate and lacking the familia hurts it. I called a 55-65 opening weekend a while ago.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Some guy on r/movies made a comprehensive list of fox movie projects that Disney is cancelling.

Death on the Nile is still "In Pre-Production".

I'm curious to see what happens to the film/TV rights to League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Will it return Alan Moore by default or whether Warners (who I believe have some rights to the material which they've passed on in the past) will bid for them? It's possible that, like Preacher, they're quite happy to let someone try and make a hit out of it and instead just sit back and sell the original graphic novels.

OP
OP
Rvaan

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
So I saw The Fanatic tonight. Best part of the night was John Travolta showing up to introduce the film.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Some guy on r/movies made a comprehensive list of fox movie projects that Disney is cancelling.

Death on the Nile is still "In Pre-Production".

Bro WHAT

Z - Reboot of the Zorro movies, written and directed by Alfonso Cuaron's son Jonás, who helped write Gravity, starring Gael Bernal & Kiersey Clemons.
Gael Bernal as Zorro is fucking perfect

- Reboot of the movie Small Soldiers.
Dir. Justin Lin (Star Trek Beyond, Fast and Furious 4 - 6)
FUCK YOU DISNEY

Last edited:

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.