• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I hope Kingsman 3 isn't canned, because I thought that was going into production shortly after the Kingsman Prequel was released. Because
A) God damn it Vaughn, since Kingsman 2 didn't do significantly better than 1, you got lucky to get a third shot.
B) That third shot should be about bringing back Roxy via the loophole you left in, and if not, then it was fair game to can Kingsman 3.

I'm basically still bitter about Roxy getting fridged.

Oct 25, 2017
Contemplating a weekend trip to NYC the weekend of Gemini Man's release to see it in 120fps since I doubt it'll be available in many theaters at that framerate just like Billy Lynn.

I gotta experience that technology and I don't plan on going to China in this lifetime.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Man, I hope Kingsman 3 isn't canned, because I thought that was going into production shortly after the Kingsman Prequel was released. Because
A) God damn it Vaughn, since Kingsman 2 didn't do significantly better than 1, you got lucky to get a third shot.
B) That third shot should be about bringing back Roxy via the loophole you left in, and if not, then it was fair game to can Kingsman 3.

I'm basically still bitter about Roxy getting fridged.

The others got canned because Disney wants to be focus on proven Ip like Kingsman movies. They made way better profit than Dumbo, Wrinkle in Time or Alice anyway. I think Kingsman will survive.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Is Blinded by the Light not playing near you?

My local options for the weekend are

47 Meters Down Uncaged - seeing
Bring The Soul - never heard of
Dora and the Lost City of Gold - waiting for DVD/HBO
Hobbs & Shaw - waiting for HBO, fuck DVD for that one
Good Boys - meh
Tarantino film I'm never seeing
Scary Stories - saw last week, liked
Angry Birds 2 - lol
Art of Racing in the Rain - never heard of
The Kitchen - looks alright
Lion King - HBO at best

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a reminder that everyone should go see The Farewell if it's playing near you, one of the best films of the year!

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tuesday #s

7aqsFOU.png

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to catch Hollywood, but my ass already hurts thinking about sitting in those uncomfortable AMC chairs for three hours.

Maybe I should watch 47 Meters Down 2 instead...

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
What do you guys think about this article?

2019* is the only year where not a single movie has grossed between $200 M-400 M. Either it's below 200 (which is literally every movie) or above 400 (4 movies made by Disney).

*yet

Nothing really new other than this bit:

Fox has already seen those consequences. For all intents and purposes, as a movie studio it's ceased to exist. Disney recently made clear how disappointing its numbers were and shunted its sole mid-range division, Fox 2000, off to the sidelines, effectively to become part of Sony. Inevitably, other companies that bet too big will disappear, too.

So the Fox2000 folks moved on to Sony picture, good for them.

OP
OP
Rvaan

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017

2019* is the only year where not a single movie has grossed between $200 M-400 M. Either it's below 200 (which is literally every movie) or above 400 (4 movies made by Disney).

*yet
The mid ranged movie is dead!/s

This year has been very weird for the box office. Basically every blockbuster or major movie not made by Disney has at best slightly underperformed. SLOP2, Hobbs and Shaw, Zilla, Dark Phoenix are just a few movies that underperformed based on our previous expectations. SLOP2 dropped off over 50% from the first one. Godzilla fell around 40% from the last one. It 2 should hopefully give us a movie that lands between the ranges in that article but this will be an trend to look at going forward.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

*yet
2019 has been heavy on big swings and misses. A lot of movies that seemed primed for that sort of modest mid-level success still had $150M+ budgets and failed to hit that total domestically.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Or cost so much money that modest mid level success doesn't help them.
Yeah, exactly. Budgets are ballooning but box office receipts aren't keeping pace for most non-Disney films. I hope it normalizes next year because like the article says, this trend will lead to a lot of studio closures.

It seems to mirror the trend in video games, in which AAA games often need pretty insane sales numbers to break even.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
looking at year by year domestic totals, I just noticed something crazy.

Last year disney had THREE $600m+ movies, with Black Panther ($700m), Infinity War ($678m) and Incredibles 2 ($608)

This year there's a good chance it will only hit 2 (Endgame and Star Wars), despite being easily their most stacked year of all time. It looks like Lion King might run out of gas somewhere north of $550m, and then I think there's a chance with Frozen 2, though Frozen 1 "only" hit $400m domestic so $600m for the sequel might be a stretch.

of course it's more than made up through worldwide gross, a year where we'll see an absolutely absurd 7 DISNEY MOVIES hit $1b+, but I still thought that was interesting.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It won't even gross as much as the 2002 Spidey film domestic.

2002 Spidey was a legit phenomenon.

That said, don't discount Captain Marvel's appeal to women. Lots of women (like my wife) go see cape flick and like them well enough, but go ga-ga when it's not actually a boy's club exclusively. So you get the usual audience + some additional viewers.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
2002 Spidey was a legit phenomenon.

That said, don't discount Captain Marvel's appeal to women. Lots of women (like my wife) go see cape flick and like them well enough, but go ga-ga when it's not actually a boy's club exclusively. So you get the usual audience + some additional viewers.
I wonder if Thor Love and Thunder will be sold as Jane Thor movie and Hemsworth as supporting cast

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Saw Blinded by the Light a while back as a mystery screening. It's ok, but i hope you really like Bruce Springsteen. That film has a lot of Bruce Springsteen in it.

Hopefully watching OUATIH this weekend. If not that, let's go with Dora. Because why not.

Oct 25, 2017
Raimi's first Spiderman pioneered a genre and also came out at the right time when the world needed Spiderman to be a cultural phenomenon.

Far From Home is just more MCU.

Status
Not open for further replies.