• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know Hobbs & Shaw was being called "Fast & Furious 9" internationally. What is the actual F&F9 going to be called then? :v

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Saw OUATIH at the IMAX. Not sold out but decent crowd for a non-traditional late release movie in the area considering the IMAX upcharge. Really liked it.

Damn kid at the ticket kiosk used my Regal points instead of the $10 off bonus I had on my account. Bye bye 20k points.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
I figure it has a lot to do with the whole "event movies" thing that has taken over the box office. Ain't no one going to a theatre and dropping $15 a ticket to watch a comedy... unless it's Ant Man or Deadpool.
Now I can hate Bob Iger for singlehandedly killing modern cinema.

Blinded by the Light not doing great makes me sad.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of insane how much comedies have fallen off in just 10-15 years in the box office. Like in 2005 Wedding Crashers made over 200 million domestically (almost 300 million adjusted for inflation). And then of course you have the Hangover in 2009, 277 million actual, 334 adjusted. I don't remember the last comedy to reach 100 million that wasn't Crazy Rich Asians.
I figure it has a lot to do with the whole "event movies" thing that has taken over the box office. Ain't no one going to a theatre and dropping $15 a ticket to watch a comedy... unless it's Ant Man or Deadpool.

could just watch reruns of friends or the office on netflix. or browse dank memes on twitter and laugh my ass off for free. shit.

That might be partly it, but I also think -- Marvel movies aside -- this decade has probably been the worst for comedies in my life.

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
KINO CONFIRMED
FDC699-DE-870-A-4-A30-92-D2-2-E51969765-C9.png
I can already smell an Oscar.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Youtube basically took away the comedy films audience, you need a good hook nowadays, not shocking the last big comedies in the pre YT era were ushered by people like Rogen and are now behind stuff like Good Boys.

Now I can hate Bob Iger for singlehandedly killing modern cinema.

Blinded by the Light not doing great makes me sad.

It was gonna wither away anyways in a Netflix world. Iger and the modern blockbusters just sped things up.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Just got out from Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark.

Like 45 minutes into the movie a group of people came in all males in their 20s and immediately started talking loudly.They obviously snuck in or something. But my fellow audience members put a stop top it right away after about 1 minute. It was almost a full theatre. A big muscle bound dude who had to be about 6'3 280 lbs solid stood up and told them to shut the fuck up. They did, and then 30 seconds later all left the theatre and never came back.

The movie itself was just okay. Was let down they showed every single creature in the trailer and there was no surprises. It was a very predictable film with no surprises and no real stand out scenes other than the designs themselves. In kind of shocked at how high the reviews are to be honest.

6/10

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
People really thought Blind by the light was going to break out?

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
People seem to think audiences nowadays are going to shell out 10-15 bucks for lowkey slice of life stuff.

These kind of movies are only going to survive in theaters if ticket prices go down.

These are things will end up on streaming services, which I think is fine. If a movie is not enhanced by being on a massive screen, does it need to be in a theater? Bridesmaids is just as good at home as it is in the theater, nothing lost. Dunkirk is better on the theater, you lose the spectacle at home

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
These are things will end up on streaming services, which I think is fine. If a movie is not enhanced by being on a massive screen, does it need to be in a theater? Bridesmaids is just as good at home as it is in the theater, nothing lost. Dunkirk is better on the theater, you lose the spectacle at home
I dont agree at all. Seeing comedies in a packed theater is nowhere the same experience as seeing it at home.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I never laugh out loud watching comedy at home like I did in the theater. Even the the stupid tango scene in Ice Age 3 made me rolling because everyone so into it.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
People really thought Blind by the light was going to break out?
WB paid $15M for the film at Sundance to open it in wide release, which like never happens for Sundance films. It's an uplifting movie with an anti-xenophobia message and the music of one of the country's most popular artists—seems pretty relevant. (Maybe you shouldn't open things wide these days.)

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
yeah watching comedies in theatres is always a fun experience when everyone is laughing at shit

oh well

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got out from Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark.

Like 45 minutes into the movie a group of people came in all males in their 20s and immediately started talking loudly.They obviously snuck in or something. But my fellow audience members put a stop top it right away after about 1 minute. It was almost a full theatre. A big muscle bound dude who had to be about 6'3 280 lbs solid stood up and told them to shut the fuck up. They did, and then 30 seconds later all left the theatre and never came back.

The movie itself was just okay. Was let down they showed every single creature in the trailer and there was no surprises. It was a very predictable film with no surprises and no real stand out scenes other than the designs themselves. In kind of shocked at how high the reviews are to be honest.

6/10
Lmfaoo

Glad he got up and told them to STFU. Hate when people talk throughout a movie.

When I saw Hobbs & Shaw there was a couple next to me and my gf that wouldn't STFU. Seemed like their first date too. Dude was explaining scenes to her in Spanish. Basically he knows the story and has seen the other movies and the girl was new to it all and he was translating. I don't know how I didn't get up and said something.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
This was totally unintentional, but sending a movie starring and written by women to streaming and sending a film starring and written by men to theaters not a great precedent. (Also literally what Netflix is apparently doing—The Irishman is supposedly the first film they are going to give a 2500-screen wide release for.)

9 times out of 10, I still want to see things in a theater. And a lot of the things I watch on streaming I wish I could see in a theater. Major chains should use the advent of digital delivery systems to show foreign/arthouse/documentaries a few nights a week. Do it as a $5-10 supplement to your unlimited movies service.

That said, on the topic of Rogen things, I watched Long Shot recently, and I was shocked about how it's like the least cinematic film I've ever seen and it somehow cost $40 million. Good Boys already existed in the form of Superbad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.