• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

'Hustlers' Shakes $32M+ Opening Record For STX & Jennifer Lopez Live-Action Pic; 'Goldfinch' Nosedives With $2M+

"You've got to hand it to STX, they cast this one up," complimented a rival major studio marketing boss on how the Burbank, CA mini-major assembled Hustlers. There's a star who appeals to every female moviegoer in this pic, and they bring their own cadre of fans: not just Jennifer Lopez, but Constance Wu and her Crazy Rich Asians and Fresh Off the Boat crowd, Cardi B's followers, and Lili Reinhart and her Riverdale gang.

Tracking services saw the Hustlers wave coming, and, boy, were they right, with the Lorene Scafaria film now seeing an awesome, over-indexed opening of $32.1M, the best domestic debut ever for five-year-old STX and for a Lopez live-action film. Friday is bigger than the $11M we spotted earlier, now at $13.1M (including Thursday $2.5M previews). For Wu, it's bigger than her Crazy Rich Asians 3-day of $26.5M, and not far from that pic's $35.2M five-day opening.

Yeah, yeah, New Line's It Chapter Two is still No. 1 with $40.5M, -55% in weekend 2. But that's a franchise, and we always knew that pic was guaranteed to have a two-week grip on the top spot. Hustlers is more exciting to talk about. The pic's success further underscores how low-to-mid-budget films, which were largely beaten down by Disney IP this summer, still work when they avoid a monster on the calendar, that streaming hasn't gobbled up every genre, and that moviegoers still leave the house to see original, intriguing fare.

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The continuing adventures of September for Disney.

2w97chE.jpg

Disney have passed the 8 Billion goal now. If we are doing an avatar bet on them breaking the 10 Billion, it feels like now if they will hit that mark Before or After Star Wars Episode IX release weekend.

Ad Astra is next weekend which will count to the Fox total, I'll do an update if Ad Astra does significantly well, but don't expect too much changes in the main chart until Maleficent Mistress of Evil releases.

Last edited:

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Farewell did very well considering its limited release.

I'm shocked Hustlers ended up being good and that J-Lo is getting praised for her performance. Might actually go see it.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Hustlers is sabermetrics but instead of baseball players it's actors, and instead of WAR it's social media followings.

Looks like a fun movie though, I'll have to check it out.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If I made a bet that Hustler was going to not only be critically acclaimed, but also successful at the box office.......... I would have lost that bet.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For the somewhat "meh" response it's gotten, IT 2 had a decent drop this week.

Considering it's a Horror as well which has always had hefty drops for an opening weekend.

Probably not getting the three-peat though unless Ad Astra crashes and burns. What's the opening for Ad Astra looking like at the moment?

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark quietly became a hit. Lionsgate is having a good year.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Not bad, this week is gonna be a interesting one though. Brad Pitt and Dreamworks coming.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
What is the budget on Abominable? Obviously I'm not the target audience for the movie, but, anecdotally, HTTYD 3 felt like it had a much bigger marketing campaign. Saw a couple TV and YouTube ads for it. Nothing for Abominable except this poster at a bus stop.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Wow @ Goldfinch. I normally don't avoid seeing films due to actors, but Ansel Elgort sunk whatever interest I may have had in the film otherwise. That and the pretty tepid reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.