• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

f221057635501b0a94418f8d9f7d426c.gif

You would think that in this day and age that the best place for a feature movie based on a popular TV series would be on a streaming service, right? But no, this weekend's $31M opening of Focus Features and Carnival Films' Downton Abbey continues to underscore the power of the big screen in its ability to generate money on lower budget fare in a digital explosive world. Downton's overseas total jumped to $30.8M, putting this $20M production (before P&A) at a running total of $61.8M WW.

Can you imagine the money left on the table here if the Universal decision was made to send Downton Abbey straight to its new streaming service, Peacock? Part of that reason might have to do with age, as the much older-skewing Downton fans (74% females, with the over 55+ sect repping 32% of all moviegoers) aren't statistically streamers. That's something the young crowd largely does. Last night at the Simi Valley Studio Movie Grill, the largely older female crowd clapped before and after the movie played. One moviegoer remarked as we exited, "When can I see the next episode?" Downton's cash yesterday was $9.6M, and though that's -30% from Friday's $13.8M, remember that opening day includes $4.3M from two preview nights. If you back that money out, then Downton's Saturday is +1%. The expectation is that there will be a 25% ease today in its till. They say that the older adult crowd takes its time to come out to the movies. Well, with an A CinemaScore and 4 1/2 stars on PostTrak, there's more business to be had with Downton down the road, including repeat business from its fervent fan base.

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

chartphon.jpg

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Last edited:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Abbey won but feels really odd to dump the movie in theaters where you think on a service made more sense.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
The olds came out strong, but only before 8PM. And in case you think I'm kidding, I'm not:

The funny thing is how Downton chugged against these two pics: Distrib sources say that Downton shuts down after 8PM, as its crowd goes to bed.

That's from Deadline's write-up.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Did a double feature of Downton and Ad Astra the other day, and the former was the first time I've heard an audience applaud in years. Going theatrical was the right move.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
GIVE ME MORE DOWNTON!

excelsiorlef I tried to watch Goldfinch but they had no evening showings at my theater. Girlfriend bought 6pm tickets tomorrow though. Will report back.

Dec 12, 2017
I saw Ad Astra last night. In terms of similar space films, i would rank it behind The Martian and Gravity. Still haven't seen Interstellar or First Man.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Dang, was hoping Promare could've done a million, but I always forget these types of movies always decline on weekends.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I liked Rambo for what it was but it basically turns him into The Punisher.

I'm also amazed they spent 50 million on the budget; the film looked somewhat cheap overall.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Downton Abbey beating Rambo makes me so incredibly happy.

And the premise of Downton is ripe for more movies or even more TV episodes. It's a lush soap opera with dozens of characters, and people want to see them. So keep making them please!

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Villains is just not on tracking. We caught that last night and it was an excellent black comedy. I really hope it didn't make less than $40k...

Go see Villains, people!

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
I figured Downton Abbey would get like a 10 million opening max. Great result. Wonder how much that Breaking Bad movie that's coming out next month would do if it was released in theaters only

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I figured Downton Abbey would get like a 10 million opening max. Great result. Wonder how much that Breaking Bad movie that's coming out next month would do if it was released in theaters only
Downton appeals to a very different crowd, that is why many here were underestimating it. I don't think Breaking Bad would do as well theatrically, but that is just me.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They were up for doing a sequel to Downton so I imagine that's looking likely now. I didn't know how big it was in the US so nice to see it doing well there as well.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Happy that Ad Astra beat our Rambo, but neither lit the charts on fire. Looking at the audience reviews, we got another great disparity between critics/audience.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Downton appeals to a very different crowd, that is why many here were underestimating it. I don't think Breaking Bad would do as well theatrically, but that is just me.
My mom rarely goes to the theater if not to take my nieces and nephews to watch kid movies like the minions or frozen. She bought her tickets with her friends to watch Downton on Friday. I was shocked.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And people laughed when I said Downton was winning this weekend

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Honestly happy more older folks have something to watch in mainstream cinema and it finds success and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. Really cool

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Downton only skewed 32% for viewers over 55, which is actually lower than I think some expected. There's definitely younger audiences that go for it too, mainly female and gay viewers.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Downton last night, it was like revisiting with old friends. So enjoyable. I hope they make another movie. Good to see the big screen version flourish.

Took my Mom, and my wife.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to ask this the other day, but does anyone know how Abominable is tracking? Mulling over going next weekend to see it.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad I decided to read the wiki for Ad Astra. It was not the type of story I am looking for right now so I saved some money. Will rent once it hits streaming services though.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading those Rambo impressions makes me sad. Sly is usually very protective of the Rocky and Rambo franchises and both had ended perfectly, but this one sounds like a real stinker.

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and my mom went to see Downton yesterday, I was not invited ha!

(and yeah it was before 8 pm)

Curious to see if anything changes with the Breaking Bad movie.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spots 2-5 are so close that they could change with the actuals.

Happy for Downton.

Everyone should go see Ad Astra. Let's get a campaign going like we did for Booksmart 👀

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Downton made that much! Good for them.

Now to hope that Rambo somehow overall loses money.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
So, apparently the Breaking Bad movie is going to be in select theaters for one weekend.

I mean, I do have Netflix. But I feel like I need to see it in theaters.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Downtown ate some of Hustlers room I feel to prevent that sub 40% drop, but under 50% ain't bad

Status
Not open for further replies.