• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
marvel and dc keeping the fucking box office afloat

you love to see it

4 of the 12 monthly opening records are held by Marvel at the moment. 1 of them by DC.

January - American Sniper - $89,269,066
February - Black Panther - $202,003,951
March - Beauty and the Beast (2017) - $174,750,616
April - Avengers: Endgame - $357,115,007
May - Marvel's The Avengers - $207,438,708

June - Jurassic World - $208,806,270
July - The Lion King (2019) - $191,770,759
August - Suicide Squad - $133,682,248
September - It - $123,403,419
October - Venom - $80,255,756
November - The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - $158,074,286
December - Star Wars: The Force Awakens - $247,966,675

Joker taking October from Venom would make it 2 to 3 in Marvels Favour.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Frozen 2 surpasses The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. As silly sounding Fire losing to Ice that is.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
anyone talking about why all these kids sequels severely underperfomed?
LEgo 2, secret life of pets 2,and Angry birds 2?

only one that did well were toy story 4

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
anyone talking about why all these kids sequels severely underperfomed?
LEgo 2, secret life of pets 2,and Angry birds 2?

only one that did well were toy story 4
A few threads ago.
HTTYD3 also undererformed (to a lesser degree).

It's just been a bad year for animation outside of Disney/Pixar. Next year will see if it's a meaningful trend (Peter Rabbit 2, Minions 2).

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I was thinking the drops could be related to the minor drop in American birth rates over the last decade

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
The Croods 2, that's sequel that will turn things around! And Scoob! ...or maybe not

The first Croods was actually fun if I'm remembering the right movie but that was a long time ago

Edit: And let's not forget Trolls 2!

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
4 of the 12 monthly opening records are held by Marvel at the moment. 1 of them by DC.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Frozen 2 surpasses The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. As silly sounding Fire losing to Ice that is.

He said "and." Not everything has to be Marvel vs DC.

KingFox

May 17, 2018
Well, there are still plenty of movies and time before this all gets going. Actor is gonna be extremely competitive and actress has a few yet to be released. Without being sure where these folks fall regarding supporting/main:

Actor: Driver (Marriage Story), Phoenix (Joker), Hanks (Beautiful Day), Kaluuya (Queen and Slim), whoever the main is from Waves, Deniro/Pacino (Irishman), DiCaprio (Once Upon A Time), Hopkins/Pryce (Two Popes), Pitt (Ad Astra), Damon/Bale (Ford V. Ferarri).

Actress: Ronan (Little Women), Nyong'o (US), Johansson (Marriage Story), Awkwafina (Farewell), Kidman/Theron (for that bad trailer Fox News movie), Erivo (Harriet), Zellweger (Judy), Lopez (Hustlers).

Just gonna leave out some of the weird choices or movies that will be too obscure. The Lighthouse and Uncut Gems should have plenty of hype but are going to be too bizarre for the Academy's whack tastes. I think Driver/Phoenix/Hanks are absolute locks as are Ronan/Zellweger.

Was going to wonder why you didn't include Florence Pugh (Midsommar), but then I remembered Toni Collette totally being snubbed for Hereditary. Prove me wrong this year Oscars! Now before you say it falls under the 'too weird for the Academy', I would point out Sally Hawkins getting a nom for having sex with a fish-man last year.

Also since animated movies have been brought up; it's weird how The Queen's Corgi has been a legit hit here in the Netherlands. It's still in the top 10 of the year and even outgrossed Toy Story 4. The only country it made more money is France, but only by just over a million.

And The Lion Kings run with 31M so far here is nuts. That's like 2x Endgame. Or Endgame + Aladdin + Captain Marvel.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to wonder why you didn't include Florence Pugh (Midsommar), but then I remembered Toni Collette totally being snubbed for Hereditary. Prove me wrong this year Oscars! Now before you say it falls under the 'too weird for the Academy', I would point out Sally Hawkins getting a nom for having sex with a fish-man last year.
Horror films are almost never recognized by the modern Academy and Midsommar came out way too early in the year especially considering the just okay BO run. I think Shape of Water was fairly inoffensive considering how strange the subject matter actually is. It's a fairy tale movie with a very old fashioned sense of film making.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Minions 2 is gonna drop so hard.

I would be so happy if Minions 2 is the Ice Age: Collision Course for Illumination. SLOP 2 was the first humbling, if their prized brand takes a beating as well. That should give them the boot to start making some good films and not just the bare minimum time and time again.

Oh yeah, it's Scooby Doo's 50th Birthday today, so I wouldn't be surprised if Scoob! get's a teaser trailer dropped today at some point. Been looking forward to that one.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
The Shape of water was layers upon layers of oscar bait stereo types in a monster story. It was very, very easy to see why the academy would like it while ignoring something like hereditary.

Oct 25, 2017
Jojo Rabbit and A Hidden Life are also Fox Searchlight

They too are probably going to bomb hard.

Bless them though for putting out interesting and risky films instead of corporate focus tested mediocrity.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Ready or Not is good but its not an award contender or coin earner.
Every year FoxS usually have strong contenders for awards season this year they have nothing beside Jojo Rabbit, and I dont think this one will do much either.
A Hidden Life is probably a better choice for an awards movie but I don't think most people outside of industry people and film nerds like and or appreciate Malick.

The Tree of Life fucking rules and I will always look for excuses to say it.

Oct 31, 2017
Every year FoxS usually have strong contenders for awards season this year they have nothing beside Jojo Rabbit, and I dont think this one will do much either.

I think this is Fox's worst year ever in terms of BO gross, critical reception, and so on. I wonder if Disney is having buyer's remorse.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
tenor.gif

Either way, $6m budget, nearing $27m domestic and $40m worldwide.
And it also reviewed well, which was the point of your post about Lucy in the Sky since you linked Rotten Tomatoes. I wasn't responding about awards bait, it was a direct reply to your posting review consensus.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the time between release in theater and on the BluRay/DVD/Rental release is quick for Ready or Not

I can see it doing really well in the later if its before Halloween.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is Fox's worst year ever in terms of BO gross, critical reception, and so on. I wonder if Disney is having buyer's remorse.

They basically said they were recently.

I have no clue if it was out of spite or the realization that plans would change anyways that Fox just dropped the ball and started taking really long lunch breaks the moment the buyout talks started.

Reminder that they announced a Mega Man live action movie right as this was all going down.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
tenor.gif

Either way, $6m budget, nearing $27m domestic and $40m worldwide.
And it also reviewed well, which was the point of your post about Lucy in the Sky since you linked Rotten Tomatoes. I wasn't responding about awards bait, it was a direct reply to your posting review consensus.

I dont provide any of contexts of my post but maybe I should.
I think FoxS is a prestige studio, making awards winning movies that go on to make decent money after Oscar season. Shape of Water and Three Billboards went on to make over $150m, thats the value people or Iger saw in FoxS.
It will be a bad year if their fall movies flop especially eith Iger so impatient with Fox.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago

If BVS didn't get critically destroyed it probably would've had the march record as well since I think it opened in the mid 160s I believe

Oct 25, 2017
I am really curious to see the results of the weekend of October 18th. We see the release of Maleficent 2, Zombieland 2, The Lighthouse, and Jojo Rabbit.

Maleficent 2 will dominate but I think The Lighthouse might be a sleeper hit with great word of mouth with some legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.