• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

uHdR2Ez.png

IkUuW5C.png

LS1r13X.png

ZgQXUOo.png

oviAEWX.png

'It Chapter Two' Stays Afloat With $92M Opening, Still 2nd Best For Horror & September Release

It Chapter Two having a similar Friday-to-Saturday percent hold as the first film, at -10% with $33.6M yesterday, taking the weekend to an estimated $91M per the studio; still second best start for September and a horror pic, and fourth best for a R-rated pic. Imax and PLF drove 21% of the B.O. Industry estimates see It Chapter Two at $92M.

Per finance sources, even with the higher production cost of Chapter Two over It, $79M to $35M, the sequel is still a terrific piece of business, still likely to be profitable though lower than It's near $300M.

It's funny, you have can have a superhero movie sequel that's 3 hours long do an all-time record amount of business (Endgame at $357.1M) while kids are still in school, but it's different for a R-rated horror sequel. We hear from some exhibitors that the 2 hours 49 minute running time curbed business for them. It's a horror film, so Chapter Two isn't a big matinee show. One East Coast regional exhibitor had Chapter Two on four screens out of nine and could only squeeze out 13 shows. Five of the 13 were evening shows, and he could have had more in the evening if the pic was shorter (note there's the trailer pre-roll, advertising and cleaning between showtimes). But the longer running time meant keeping staff later into the night, and customers getting out at 1AM. All of this said, Warners was fully aware of the long running time, of course, and aimed to be everywhere with the sequel, making it the widest September release ever at 4,570.

There was a dip in exits here for Chapter Two with fans on Thursday providing Screen Engine/Comscore's Post Trak a four star, 80% response with a 62% definite recommend. Once the crossover crowds came out on Friday and into Saturday these dipped to 3 1/2 stars, 76% positive and a 56% definite recommend. This too could have attributed to a bit of the slowdown. Note, the sequel's opening does fall within tracking's range of $90M-$100M (Warners had a bottom floor of $85M for Chapter Two).

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES
The Lion King - $1.599B
Toy Story 4 - $1.053BB
Hobbs & Shaw - $719.8M
IT Chapter 2 - $185.0M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Good opening for IT but I am thinking it is gonna fall pretty fast.

Wish more people were seeing Ready or Not

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If you would have told me Hobbs and Shaw would only make $30 million more domestically than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood...

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised It Chapter 2 didn't beat the first one's opening weekend, which was $123M.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Sony is gonna be sticking to the Spidey films and Christian Movies from now on.

Also, Clown is King. And now, nothing til October I guess.

May 10, 2018
If you would have told me Hobbs and Shaw would only make $30 million more domestically than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood...
Honestly it's not that surprising. F&F domestically doesn't do amazing compared to its success in the rest of the world.

Most end up in the mid $100 million to mid $200 million range domestically with Furious 7 being the outlier at $353 million.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Peanut Butter Falcon got a big jump while adding only 61 theaters

I knew Chapter 2 wasn't going to draw as much on OW as the first due to the adult's story being the weak link in the book

Who the hell is still paying tickets to go see Overcomer?

Don't Let Go more like the advertising department let this go

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
The source material for It Chapter 2 isn't very good and it kind of shows in the movie. Bill Hader is great though.

Didn't realize Lion King was over 500 million and once upon a time in Hollywood going to push up around 140-150 million.

Oct 28, 2017
Like I said, Chapter 2 will still do great but it is the weaker part and doesn't have perfect storm of hype the first one had in 2017.

I'm very curious to see how Joker performs as it makes its rounds at film festivals up to its release next month.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hobbs made it through China I guess. I was really curious if it would work out, but it made it safely out of the flop territory, even if it could have been a roaring success had they not inflated the budget.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It's a steep drop, but Ready or Not should make a decent profit.

I think Dora will do the same depending on its legs.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
It Chapter 2 was a lot better than I expected after the reviews. The plot was almost nonsensical but it got where it needed to go, adult acting was solid, and the scares were probably better than the first film.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty surprising to see how Aladdin and Lion King have survived in spite of a small cottage industry devoted to hating them

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
IT waited a bit too long. There is a fine balance between building hype and "Nah I will catch it on streaming"

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Think the legs on IT are gonna collapse next week

WB needs Joker like right now

LMAO. I don't get why these Christian films do so well.
It's a largely under-served audience at the box office, and the kind of films that Sony specializes in are of the less "fire and brimstone" variety and more outright inspirational true stories, so they have some crossover potential with mainstream audiences. Also, much like most horror films, they're dirt cheap to make and rely much more on WOM to carry the "good word" as it were, so the returns are perhaps not blockbuster-sized, but healthy all the same.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's a largely under-served audience at the box office, and the kind of films that Sony specializes in are of the less "fire and brimstone" variety and more outright inspirational true stories, so they have some crossover potential with mainstream audiences. Also, much like most horror films, they're dirt cheap to make and rely much more on WOM to carry the "good word" as it were, so the returns are perhaps not blockbuster-sized, but healthy all the same.
Yeah me and kswis talked about this a while ago. The Christian movies that do well at the theater seems light and full of hope, not that god not dead stuff.

Yeah me and kswis talked about this a while ago. The Christian movies that do well at the theater seems light and full of hope, not that god not dead stuff.
The God's Not Dead-type films had their moment, but beating people over the head with self-righteousness was only going to drive folks away in the long run. I Can Only Imagine getting within earshot of $100 million was definitely the sign that things were going to turn to a much more wholesome slate of films to achieve success. Unplanned had the R-rating going against it earlier in the year, but I feel like even if it did get edited down to something more manageable for families, the idea of a staunchly anti-abortion film wasn't going to net them too much more than what it wound up earning.

Status
Not open for further replies.