• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of IT 2 this week kinda sucked for movies people were looking forward to, but Hustlers is going to be an interesting one to watch. TIFF reviews are really really positive and it could break out in a dead zone of the calendar.
STX potentially hustled its way into staying open for another year.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It 2 opened at 400+ more theaters than the previous one but made $90m+ could it have been the reviews, it'd length that hurt it or a combo of the two?
Sequels, man. This is why i get frustrated trying to explain why Endgame being a franchise film (and one basically requiring many films worth of homework) was actually a huge hurdle, not an asset.

Everyone acts like original films have it harder but they dominate the top BO when adjusted for inflation. They don't demand any prior investment from the audience. Fewer people show up to sequels because a portion of the audience is bound to have either not enjoyed the prior entry or lost interest.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I thought crawl was pretty damn boring. It didnt really do anything well. It didnt have great acting,characters, set pieces didnt have any inventive scenes. Even the kills were flat. The whole film was just aiming for the middle and that's what it achieved. Mediocrity.

I wish the film was as cheeky as the song choice was for the end credits.

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
Sucks about It2 being down from the first but it's the last one, not like it's a franchise going down. Very profitable duo of movies for WB. Crazy success story.
Now September just seems like it's going to be boring.

What will be the number 2 movie?
Ad Astra? Hustlers? Rambo...? Abominable? None seems like it will do much...

Angry Birds 2 total barely reaching the opening weekend from the first and being down worlwide so much is an incredible sad drop... And it even had good reviews.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with It 2 is that it's not a big screen Stranger Things movie like the 1st one was.
The problem with IT 2 is that it's 2 hours and 50 minutes of poorly executed tropes and cliches and terribly muddled messaging undercut by an embarassing need to constantly undermine the tension with bad jokes and callbacks.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
No, because they cut out the Turtle :-(
It sounds like someone wasn't brave enough to tell Stephen King they were gonna rewrite the adult part. I'm getting flashbacks to Alita's problems. That movie was so dedicated to being like the source material it replicated the same flaws.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna watch IT Chapter 2 sometime this week. Having rewatched the first last week. Hopefully it'll still be fun, even knowing it's weaker than the first.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Shame that Jojo Rabbit played its concept too safe for the TIFF critics. At least Knives Out turned out great. Hustlers is going to save STX's ass

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
So Charlie's Angels is releasing that single is releasing on Friday. On the two month mark from the movie coming out.

I would hope that means a trailer is coming this week to coincide with the album release.

... I really want that second trailer. I'm just so excited for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Sequels, man. This is why i get frustrated trying to explain why Endgame being a franchise film (and one basically requiring many films worth of homework) was actually a huge hurdle, not an asset.

Everyone acts like original films have it harder but they dominate the top BO when adjusted for inflation. They don't demand any prior investment from the audience. Fewer people show up to sequels because a portion of the audience is bound to have either not enjoyed the prior entry or lost interest.
Yup. TFA was the only sequel ever to be the all time domestic top grosser. And that was just about literally the perfect storm for a sequel. The mega hits over the decades have all been original, as the film that eventually dethrones TFA years from now will be.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017

Yup. TFA was the only sequel ever to be the all time domestic top grosser. And that was just about literally the perfect storm for a sequel. The mega hits over the decades have all been original, as the film that eventually dethrones TFA years from now will be.

This belies a fundamental truth that Hollywood's top grossers have leaned more and more on sequels over the past 20 years. In 1998, none of the top 10 movies of that year domestically were sequels. In 2008, 4 were (The Dark Knight, Indy 4, Madagascar 2, Quantum of Solace). In 2013, 6 were (Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Iron Man 3, Despicable Me 2, Monsters University, Hobbit 2, and F&F 6). In 2018 it was 6 again(Infinity War, Incredibles 2, Fallen Kingdom, Deadpool 2, MI:Fallout, and Ant Man and the Wasp), with 2 more movies featuring characters that already featured in other movies getting their solo debuts (Black Panther, Aquaman). It's getting harder and harder for original IPs to actually break into the top echelon of the domestic market, if for no other reason than the fact that unless you're one of a handful of directors (Nolan, Speilberg, etc.) or you're already based on a proven IP that just hasn't had a movie yet, it's hard to get the type of production or marketing budget to get to that level on your first go 'round.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
BronsonLee i did it

image0.png

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
So McAvoy has started in 3 sequels this year that have all critically and financially been worse than their predecessors? Who'd want to be his agent right now?

Hopefully His Dark Materials is a success.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
buzz for joker feels out of this world right now

then again I'm in Toronto and a lot of that is TIFF hype

I wonder if it beats ITs $123.4m OW

didn't IT have an insane number of views for its trailer or something? joker doesn't have that, but... it's a comic book movie in this golden age of comic book movies, so that should give it a nice bump.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
So McAvoy has started in 3 sequels this year that have all critically and financially been worse than their predecessors? Who'd want to be his agent right now?

Hopefully His Dark Materials is a success.
Lol none of those were due to him. He's still a top tier actor.
The trend for sequels doing worse than their predecessor has pretty much been a thing for forever minus the few mega-franchise trilogies.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
buzz for joker feels out of this world right now

then again I'm in Toronto and a lot of that is TIFF hype

I wonder if it beats ITs $123.4m OW

didn't IT have an insane number of views for its trailer or something? joker doesn't have that, but... it's a comic book movie in this golden age of comic book movies, so that should give it a nice bump.
I think Joker > It Chapter 2 OW is 100% in play, but It Chapter 1 is well out of reach.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of movies that people thought would be bad are turning out to be some of the best movies of the year.

What a crazy year in film.

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a Blu Ray for The Shining which will arrive tomorrow for preparation and setting expectations way too high for Doctor Sleep.

I might be getting too invested in this movie lol.

Cats and Doctor Sleep might be my most hype movies for the rest of 2019. Something must be wrong with me.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Wow, The Goldfinch is playing at almost 0 theatres around me for the weekend.

Not playing at a single theater chain, and playing at 1 art house theater two hours away.

Status
Not open for further replies.