• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
So I saw Just Mercy tonight and BOY awards season is going to be FUN. MBJ is coming for his Oscar.

Nov 1, 2017
We are in the Endgame now!

mMGIIcZ.jpg

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to tell if J-Lo potentially getting an Oscar nomination is due to her being really good, or this being a lackluster year for Oscars.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Harbinger is moving to Paramount.

Sony is breaking up another cinematic universe.

The Valiant property?

They're putting all chips on Spider-Man spin-off characters I guess. I still think it's going to backfire at some point (well, other than the Spider-Verse films)

Well Paramount, you just got a superhero franchise again. Don't screw this up.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
The Valiant property?

They're putting all chips on Spider-Man spin-off characters I guess. I still think it's going to backfire at some point (well, other than the Spider-Verse films)

Well Paramount, you just got a superhero franchise again. Don't screw this up.
Yeah, I'm taking this as meaning Sony won't be easing off its dependency of Spider-Man at any point soon.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm taking this as meaning Sony won't be easing off its dependency of Spider-Man at any point soon.

Which seems silly to me. You'd think they'd want a back up plan that allows them to have something Marvel doesn't: A cinematic universe without restrictions.

Now they've given it up to Paramount.

Paramount better not screw this up. They've been given a gift that lets them finding footing they didn't have against Disney and Warner Bros.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Which seems silly to me. You'd think they'd want a back up plan that allows them to have something Marvel doesn't: A cinematic universe without restrictions.

Now they've given it up to Paramount.

Paramount better not screw this up. They've been given a gift that lets them finding footing they didn't have against Disney and Warner Bros.
Maybe they're confident about PlayStation Productions producing a few franchises based on their owned IP.

As of now, potential announced franchises in development:
- Bloodshot (although this will be awkward without)
- Robotech (has been in development hell for ages, but specifically referenced in their investor presentation this year)
- Uncharted (just lost its 5th director)
- Masters of the Universe (not trusting until it starts production)
- Phantom Tollbooth
- Monster Hunter
- Some Michael Bay film

They lost Barbie to WB, Sonic and Harbinger to Paramount. Paramount might be the only studio more strapped for IP than Sony. Hopefully they keep Valiant involved and make Harbinger a success for them.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they're confident about PlayStation Productions producing a few franchises based on their owned IP.

They lost Barbie to WB, Sonic and Harbinger to Paramount. Paramount might be the only studio more strapped for IP than Sony. Hopefully they keep Valiant involved and make Harbinger a success for them.

Well working closely with the people who make/know the source material has been working for Marvel, so it's a fair gamble. I can also see Sony wanting to get their brands on the recognition level that Nintendo has with many of its IPs. (Not that Sony IPs aren't recognizable mind you. But there's a reason why some parents still all every video game system Nintendos).

It's still amazing to me how the film company that started the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the biggest movie franchise today, is in such a dire state of affairs.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Endgame is going to end its run this week. 3-4 million shy of 2.8 billion.

Now we begin countdown until the next record breaker.

Oct 25, 2017
I might have convinced at least two people to go with me to see Ad Astra on the Thursday night showing in IMAX

I did my good deed for the day

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
On the 20th, my nearby theater will have Ad Astra and Nezha, animated chinese movie that broke $700m alone in china. What film to see first?

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Any Era impressions of Ready or Not? It looks like a winner and I have seen the reviews, but I'd prefer a more Era-feedback.

Oct 31, 2017

Someone called that...

Well working closely with the people who make/know the source material has been working for Marvel, so it's a fair gamble. I can also see Sony wanting to get their brands on the recognition level that Nintendo has with many of its IPs. (Not that Sony IPs aren't recognizable mind you. But there's a reason why some parents still all every video game system Nintendos).

It's still amazing to me how the film company that started the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the biggest movie franchise today, is in such a dire state of affairs.

Sony is in a healthier position today than they have been in a awhile. SPE is still - and always will be - the red headed step child of the company, but it's also better than a couple of years ago. Regardless they didn't start the MCU unless you meant Paramount? In which case their merger with CBS will mean good things for them and - hopefully - the Star Trek franchise.

I would also argue that Sony doesn't need movies and TV shows to get more ubiquity in their videogame properties. Hell, Mario didn't become ubiquitous because of that John Leguizamo movie. I can see TLOU working well as a TV show or movie, even if it might come off as a Walking Dead rip off. Uncharted can come off as a Indy rip off in a movie, but it could still work. Not with Tom Holland though.

Any Era impressions of Ready or Not? It looks like a winner and I have seen the reviews, but I'd prefer a more Era-feedback.

Well worth the price of admission. A fun mix of horror and comedy.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched MIB International, wasn't near as bad as commercials made it look.
Was just "eh" really.
Honestly if it had just been a movie about K in the 60's or 70's it would have had that something International was lacking.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched MIB International, wasn't near as bad as commercials made it look.
Was just "eh" really.
Honestly if it had just been a movie about K in the 60's or 70's it would have had that something International was lacking.
From what I read of International, the movie was supposed to be much more political with the topic of immigration and then the studio cut all of that out.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A 100+ Million opening for Joker would be October's first and would then leave January as the only month without a 100+ Million opening.

As it should, January always sucks.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
So I saw Just Mercy tonight and BOY awards season is going to be FUN. MBJ is coming for his Oscar.
It's hard to tell if J-Lo potentially getting an Oscar nomination is due to her being really good, or this being a lackluster year for Oscars.
Well, there are still plenty of movies and time before this all gets going. Actor is gonna be extremely competitive and actress has a few yet to be released. Without being sure where these folks fall regarding supporting/main:

Actor: Driver (Marriage Story), Phoenix (Joker), Hanks (Beautiful Day), Kaluuya (Queen and Slim), whoever the main is from Waves, Deniro/Pacino (Irishman), DiCaprio (Once Upon A Time), Hopkins/Pryce (Two Popes), Pitt (Ad Astra), Damon/Bale (Ford V. Ferarri).

Actress: Ronan (Little Women), Nyong'o (US), Johansson (Marriage Story), Awkwafina (Farewell), Kidman/Theron (for that bad trailer Fox News movie), Erivo (Harriet), Zellweger (Judy), Lopez (Hustlers).

Just gonna leave out some of the weird choices or movies that will be too obscure. The Lighthouse and Uncut Gems should have plenty of hype but are going to be too bizarre for the Academy's whack tastes. I think Driver/Phoenix/Hanks are absolute locks as are Ronan/Zellweger.

Oct 25, 2017
I love Oscar season movies but I do not look forward to the discourse.

Last years was fine since people were pretty united against Green Book, Vice, and Bohemian Rhapsody.

I'll never forget someone on the old place saying Damien Chazelle was a white supremacist in the toxic Moonlight vs La La Land discussion.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never forget someone on the old place saying Damien Chazelle was a white supremacist in the toxic Moonlight vs La La Land discussion.
What??

I agree with you about Oscar seasons toxicity though, it never gets better. Some of the prediction game is fun to partake in. I consider myself somebody who doesn't take them super seriously but also I get caught up in plenty of the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.