• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

This is ResetEra's weekend box office Star Wars thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies best episodic Star Wars movies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

The doldrums of December are here and as remains standard following the lucrative Thanksgiving-Black Friday period most major distributors abstain from opening any wide entries, except for STX which is handling animated feature Playmobil. That movie became the fourth worst opening ever for a pic booked in 2K-plus theaters (according to Boxoffice Mojo) with a reported 3-day this morning of $670K. That's lower than Universal/Blumhouse's Jem and the Holograms which tanked with a $1.37M opening (and final of $2.1M domestic) and not too far from the lowest bottom dweller for this range, the 2012 film The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure ($443K opening, $1M final domestic).

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
47% drop for Knives Out seems real good to me.

Pretty nice rankings there OP, though I'd move 3-4-5 around a bit.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Fun easter eggs:
  • Episode number corresponds to the number of box office threads we've had on ResetEra
  • Click on each of the movie banners for pain fun

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i don't like how the new sites tables don't have an estimated budget column

they should add that

i mean it was blank half the time but still

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Playmobil was the present American parents gave their kids only to have to deal with unconsolable tears because American kids wanted Lego. The Gobots of building toys. The Rose Art of building toys. The Revenge of the Sith of building toys.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know the Playmobil movie existed until yesterday

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
I find this thread rude and offensive to my sensibilities.

I know this is all goofy goofy fun week but at least be an adult for a moment and acknowledge the animated film based on a bad children's toy

f03UBf8.png

A movie based on Playmobil would have been stupid even in the immediate wake of the success of The LEGO Movie. 5 years later, after those films turned out worse and worse diminishing returns, and I have no idea why it didn't get buried on a streaming service. STX is trying real hard to die faster than Annapurna has been.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Not quite the ranking I'd go with, but I find it very agreeable. Phenomenal hold for Empire, still at #2 nearly 40 years later.

Also $670k from 2300 screens, jfc.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Parasite still as a PTA of a top 5
made more money than jojo rabbit despite being in way less theaters...the power that that has, the impact that that has, the international implications that that has....

Bong is on Jimmy Fallon tomorrow and Globes noms coming, I bet Neon is gonna start the re-expansion soon

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow at Playmobil. Like damn..

RIP that studio

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Can I just say that I clicked on the Empire Strikes Back link and the video started loading before anything else. I had no idea what I was in for so when the title showed up I hollered with excitement

It'll get its due during the Oscars in memoriam tribute.

And the Oscar programmers will accidentally broadcast Lego Movie 2 footage next to the movie title

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
FvF still killing it. Best movie outside of Marriage Story and Dolemite I've seen this year.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
ANH with the highest metacritic and RT score as it should, deal with it Lucas haters.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Playmobil got fucked wow.

2019 has been an bloodbath for animated movies this year. The only non-Disney success story was The Addams Family, mostly because it was a dirt cheap holiday movie (Halloween) that had the miracle of Maleficent 2 not doing better than it did.

If this is the new normal, I'm delighted. It means the studios can't just crap out any old shit and expect kids to watch it anymore.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
2019 has been an bloodbath for animated movies this year. The only non-Disney success story was The Addams Family, mostly because it was a dirt cheap holiday movie (Halloween) that had the miracle of Maleficent 2 not doing better than it did.

If this is the new normal, I'm delighted. It means the studios can't just crap out any old shit and expect kids to watch it anymore.
I expect a SLOP-level drop for Minions 2 next year.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody did judging by the numbers.
I think it's a mixture of a lot of things. Poor marketing is one. Another is who this movie is for. The LEGO Movie has both appeal to kids and some adults. I know people who still got LEGOs into their teens/early adults. Who the fuck buys Playmobil as an adult, or is even that nostalgic for Playmobil? That means this could only ever apply to kids, and if a parent has a choice between this and Frozen II, well...

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Personally i call bullshit, we all know even accounted for Hitler that Gone with the Wind is the highest grossing Star Wars film of all time. Scorcese didn't fight roller coaster ride cinema wars just for Gone with the Wind to be snubbed like this

Status
Not open for further replies.