• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Yeah yeah another WatchMojo thread, but this one is actually interesting.

10. Early Access for Big Names
9. Instant Fail Stealth Missions in Non Stealth games
8. Badly Designed Inventory Management Screens
7. Forced Motion Controls
6. Goofy or Bad Voice Acting
5. Bad Companion A.I.
4. Quick Time Events
3. Unskippable Cutscenes
2. Excessive Collectibles
1. No Local Multiplayer

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Also unskippable credits and (on PC) not being able to quit out of the game directly and instead having to quit to the title screen and then select the option to quit the game.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Non pausable cutscenes is worse than unskippable for me. Non pausable and skippable is the worst combo when you accidentally skip it. Luckily most games nowadays ask to hold a button to skip.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
How in the year of our lord 2020 people can still screw up menus is beyond me. That should be a science with all the games developed to this day.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't even know why QTE's are still a thing. they were new and exciting like 20 years ago. who enjoys mashing a button to do something outside of regular gameplay or having to quickly press a button to dodge/etc in a cutscene. it's so annoying.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Non pausable cutscenes is worse than unskippable for me. Non pausable and skippable is the worst combo when you accidentally skip it. Luckily most games nowadays ask to hold a button to skip.
This is so true. That moment when you are trying to figure out if pressing the options/start button will pause or skip the cutscene is always a small never wrecking moment for me XD

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
1. crafting
2. press a button to reveal all enemies
3. stealth kills/executions
4. the same camera style used in every cut scene in every game except in Naughty Dog/Rockstar/Kojima games

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Non pausable cutscenes is a disgrace. Ace combat 7 was the most recent offender. It also allowed you to skip cutscenes with one button press and without any warning to make things worse.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
No local MP is really unfair. If you need to handle 2 different views, that required an enormous amount of work.

Tiny text, subtitles or not, is still my main issue. And it is in almost every games, contrary to "Forced Motion Controls" than I didn't see in a while.
Red things that explode ?!?!
Unskippable credit.
Number one should've been Silent Protagonists in a World Where Everyone Else Talks.
Number one is your choice, but I take any bad voice acting rather than Silent Protagonists in a World Where Everyone Else Talks.
What about sexualization of women?
Yep........
What's worse than non-skippable cutscenes is when you go to pause it and it skips it instead.
It seems to finally be a thing from the past. Did you experienced it in a recent game ?

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
yes, playing through Fallen Order and I can't skip the cutscenes. They aren't anything remotely interesting. I just wanna play the game.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I don't understand why there are still games that come out which don't have manual saving

Or if they do, they have limited save slots

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure I necessarily agree on QTE's. I find they generally work in a lot of games where they are used reasonably.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
After binging Nioh 2 the past fortnight, point #5 is definitely relevant.

The AI in the game game is so bad to the levels of pure frustration, so much in fact that the game is easier if you don't summon AI support.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
8. Badly Designed Inventory Management Screens
Cry me a fucking river. Here's the real list:

1. Designing by the numbers with timesink mechanics and artificial extension
  2. Locking game features/items behind paywalls and desiging games to stifle until you crave it.
  3. Designing huge barren open worlds for repeated prefabs and miniscule enemy variety or objective variety that realistically has about 20 hours of value, as opposed to 100 hours of boredom.
  4. Aping other games via focus testing.
  5. Being afraid of thinking outside the box because it may land on an unintuitive interface or design that mainstreamers whine about.
  6. Not considering the story as important to nail as the gameplay/design.
  7. Having bad decisions for implementing the story, like constant bantering during combat gameplay.
  8. Thinking that Destiny is a template for success.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I don't understand why there are still games that come out which don't have manual saving

Or if they do, they have limited save slots
I don't know, I absolutely despise saving systems where you can save manually at any time. It detracts from the whole experience and makes me save every minute in fear of losing progress. I hate it.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
QTEs literally never bother me.

Agree with most of the rest of the list. Instant fail in stealth missions bother me greatly,

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Items that are breakable. I mean C'mon Nintendo, putting BoTW system into ACNH, and on top of that making gold items break too. If Samus gun breaks you will hear me screaming!

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I don't know, I absolutely despise saving systems where you can save manually at any time. It detracts from the whole experience and makes me save every minute in fear of losing progress. I hate it.

I lost my entire Control playthrough because the game crashed and corrupted the 1 save it gives you. Same thing with Dark Souls

If not manual saves, at least make different save files for certain points in the game as the player progresses so you don't have to start over from scratch every time something like this happens

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
no main fallout game has silent protags. They all talk, and they all talk a lot.
they had *unvoiced* protags.

so no.

given this post

Number one is your choice, but I take any bad voice acting rather than Silent Protagonists in a World Where Everyone Else Talks.

i assumed they were conflating the two things together. specially because i cant remember the last game with a TRUE silent protagonist i ever played. even stuff like Zelda, its assumed he's speaking something back, you just dont see it

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Is "forced motion controls" still a problem? The only examples they could give were from 2 minor parts of games from 2017, and Death Stranding?

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But not all video games do these 10 things though

Mojo being clickbaity again

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I lost my entire Control playthrough because the game crashed and corrupted the 1 save it gives you. Same thing with Dark Souls

If not manual saves, at least make different save files for certain points in the game as the player progresses so you don't have to start over from scratch every time something like this happens
Well sure, but that's not inherently due to the save system. Any save can get corrupted, so it's always a good idea to keep backups.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its partially covered by a couple entries but I'd say accessibility options for all kinds of players is something a lot of games are really lacking.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Well sure, but that's not inherently due to the save system. Any save can get corrupted, so it's always a good idea to keep backups.
A good save system keeps backups. Just a few rolling save slots is often enough. And it's not only about corrupted save games, if the trigger for saving isn't too strictly defined you can end up having a valid save state but in a very bad spot gameplay-wise like instantly losing after loading.

Edit: re-read the original post and I might have misunderstood

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
The greatest sin in modern game design is the reliance on "crutches" like markers and prompts that basically tell the player what to do at every step of the way, turning the whole experience into a brainless chore. It started of as a very crude way for early open world games to direct the player through a large and complex environment, over time you'd think the industry would grow out of it, but these features have only grown more prevalent and in-your-face (some of you would call it "QOL upgrades") over the years to the point that they're even found in some "closed world" games nowadays.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Non skip panel cutscenes is a biggie, but a lack of local co-op annoys me no end... Especially on PC. How less powerful consoles can have co op and a pc game can't is beyond me.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
YES, THANK YOU FOR NUMBER 1

How does nobody care about local multiplayer anymore? Even dedicated co-op games or racing games often don't have it anymore and it hardly gets mentioned.

Its crazy to me.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Number one should've been Silent Protagonists in a World Where Everyone Else Talks.
^^^

So incredibly jarring to see in modern games.

Nah, a lot of times a constantly talking main character ruins the mood. Horizon or days gone were horrible with this.

I prefer a non talking protag over an annoying af protag.
You say this as if the only choices are a)character talks constantly and b)character is completely silent in a world where everyone talks

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
^^^

So incredibly jarring to see in modern games.

You say this as if the only choices are a)character talks constantly and b)character is completely silent in a world where everyone talks
I just know that a) is often the case. When you wish for this stuff you should take into consideration what you will most likely get, instead of some perfect hypothetical.

Especially in games like for example Persona where theres a shitload of dialogue. If that voice would be grating to someone, it could ruin that persons entire experience.

If Link would talk it would just ruin the mood even more than Zelda talking already did.

"Modern" doesnt always equal good.